passing out after workout

Options
ok, so I'm still a beginning runner training for a 5k. I've been slowly increasing my running times every week. started out with 90second intervals, then 3 minutes, then 5 and yesterday I did 8 minute intervals. (warm up 5, run 8, walk 5, run 8, walk 5, cool down) anyway, I got home and just passed out on the couch. is this normal?

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ok, so I'm still a beginning runner training for a 5k. I've been slowly increasing my running times every week. started out with 90second intervals, then 3 minutes, then 5 and yesterday I did 8 minute intervals. (warm up 5, run 8, walk 5, run 8, walk 5, cool down) anyway, I got home and just passed out on the couch. is this normal?
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    passes out as in out cold, or just very tired????
  • vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    very tired. ended up falling asleep on the couch.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I ran 4.25 the other night and was really tired afterward...running is extreme in terms of what it demands from the body. Make you're sure getting enough water and pre/post-run nutrition.
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, your body is still adjusting to training, just make sure your eating, water, possium...(not spelled right) but you know bananas....
    and your body will adjust
    Zoe
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    i started runing back in july of this year. that is exactly what happened to me when i started. i wasnt eating the right amount of foods or in the right quantity. make sure you are eating enough carbohydrates, and drinking LOTS of water. That is now all i drink and I consume 64 PLUS ounces of water per day! also, make sure you are getting enough sleep every night and that it is straight through sleep, uninterrupted. Potassium is BIG!! Lots of bananas!!! I also add a protein shake in the mornings. Walmart sells a powder called body fortress that is great! You will find your energy levels picking up soon if you do this! Good for you for getting started! I am now runing 5k races and 6 miles at a time for workouts. You will get there! Way to go!!
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I don't think you'll be that tired all the time, some runs make us more tired than others...make sure you're hydrated and I bet that the next time you'll be fine.

Kim