Eating back exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi. This is my personal experience, and most individuals utilizing MFP's tools have viewed the 500 calorie deficit that MFP factors in as a PROGRAM. As for myself, I utilize the tools available and walk the path along my own journey. I was losing weight and I read that I should eat my exercise calories back. Well, I questioned that. Being that I at one point followed Bob Harpers program, as well as Jillian Michaels (neither of which suggest that you eat your exercise calories back. I started eating my exercise calories back and I gained 3lbs!! I was more than upset with myself and just felt like I had gone nowhere. I was working out and doing all the things that the professionals said to do, as far as exercise, but putting off the deficit created through calorie deficiency via food and throguh calorie burn via exercise. YES I gained my weight back!! Some of it anyway.

Some people eat their exercise calories back, and they lose weight. If that is what you are going to do, I suggest you keep a diary of what you are consuming through the day for at least a week, and then create a deficit through food, otherwise you will be maintaining or gaining weight.

I like the way Jillian Michaels puts it.... It iß basic math. You burn more than you eat and that melts fat! Do you really think those poeple on biggest loser are eating their calories back? They are on strict calorie intake and they workout for an hour in the morning, afternoon, and evening. They DON'T eat their calories back. If they burn them, they burn them... They burn them.... They are gone!

The newest show with Chris (I think that is his name... The extreme Makeover: weightloss edition), he put one guy on a 2000 calorie diet and this guy worked out for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Do you believe that this guy ate his calories back? No! The whole idea behing weight loss is the huge deficit that creates the fat loss. To speed up the proceess, limit calories (at a healthy level) and workout.

I never heard of eating your calories back until I became a member of this site and started using their tools. Personally, whe. I went back to burn, burn, burn, I lost 3.8 lbs... The weight that I gained! For me, eating calories back doesn't work. Everyone is different.

It was suggested to me by one of my MFP friends to use the extra calories burned through exercise like a bank. If you get hungry, make a withdrawal. Otherwise just let them sit there.

I am no expert, I do have friends in the fitness arena who train for competitions and those who are personal trainers to the regular folk and some big time folk.... All have given me the same advice.... Lower your calories (no less than 1200) and work your butt off. And it works!!! (Well, it worked for me)

I wish you the best on tis journey! Find what works for you and stick to it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is my personal experience, and most individuals utilizing MFP's tools have viewed the 500 calorie deficit that MFP factors in as a PROGRAM. As for myself, I utilize the tools available and walk the path along my own journey. I was losing weight and I read that I should eat my exercise calories back. Well, I questioned that. Being that I at one point followed Bob Harpers program, as well as Jillian Michaels (neither of which suggest that you eat your exercise calories back. I started eating my exercise calories back and I gained 3lbs!! I was more than upset with myself and just felt like I had gone nowhere. I was working out and doing all the things that the professionals said to do, as far as exercise, but putting off the deficit created through calorie deficiency via food and throguh calorie burn via exercise. YES I gained my weight back!! Some of it anyway.

Some people eat their exercise calories back, and they lose weight. If that is what you are going to do, I suggest you keep a diary of what you are consuming through the day for at least a week, and then create a deficit through food, otherwise you will be maintaining or gaining weight.

I like the way Jillian Michaels puts it.... It iß basic math. You burn more than you eat and that melts fat! Do you really think those poeple on biggest loser are eating their calories back? They are on strict calorie intake and they workout for an hour in the morning, afternoon, and evening. They DON'T eat their calories back. If they burn them, they burn them... They burn them.... They are gone!

The newest show with Chris (I think that is his name... The extreme Makeover: weightloss edition), he put one guy on a 2000 calorie diet and this guy worked out for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Do you believe that this guy ate his calories back? No! The whole idea behing weight loss is the huge deficit that creates the fat loss. To speed up the proceess, limit calories (at a healthy level) and workout.

I never heard of eating your calories back until I became a member of this site and started using their tools. Personally, whe. I went back to burn, burn, burn, I lost 3.8 lbs... The weight that I gained! For me, eating calories back doesn't work. Everyone is different.

It was suggested to me by one of my MFP friends to use the extra calories burned through exercise like a bank. If you get hungry, make a withdrawal. Otherwise just let them sit there.

I am no expert, I do have friends in the fitness arena who train for competitions and those who are personal trainers to the regular folk and some big time folk.... All have given me the same advice.... Lower your calories (no less than 1200) and work your butt off. And it works!!! (Well, it worked for me)

I wish you the best on tis journey! Find what works for you and stick to it!

If you are at a deficit and eat back what you burn you are still in a deficit = to your original goal. The only reason you can gain by eating back exercise calories is either by some or all of the following. You over estimate calories burned from exercise, you under estimate calories consumed, you have a thyroid imbalance, you don't measure your food properly, or you have a compromised metabolism (usually from under eating for too long).