oops, overdid it. tips for sore legs?

Options
LOL So since I'm getting all back into shape and whatnot, I thought that I could resume running like I used to. I've never been an avid runner, but I can push out a 5k if need be, but I'm a cyclist by nature.

I got the great idea to go run while my kiddoes rode their bikes yesterday. Ran for about half an hour and felt pretty good. Now today I can barely walk. Woops!

Any suggestions for sore quads? They feel tight as heck and its painful to go up/down the stairs or use the potty. :sad:

Suppose some stretching could help? Perhaps muscling through a cardio workout to get the muscles moving and the lactic acid pushed out of them? Any ideas are welcome :D Thanks!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers are awesome! if you don't have one, I've heard a rolling pin works just as well. Sorry to say, but the only way to get rid of it is to get moving. Take a (slow) walk around the block. The less you move, the longer it will take to work out.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Water, water, water!! I've found that this basic necessity has aided in a quicker recovery of sore muscles. Perhaps a nice bath with some Epsom Salt? Definetly light stretching! Hope you feel better!
  • vgsaldivar
    Options
    Yes definitely do some stretching, and try either an Aleve or muscle rub cream. It's normal to be sore...especially if you haven't worked out for a while.
  • cranberry816
    Options
    I've heard rumors that drinking chocolate milk after a workout will keep one from being sore. I've never tried it, but I know a few people who have and they say it works. Of course, this wouldn't help much now, but for future reference :) also try sitting in a hot tub or taking a hot shower, or alternating ice and heat every 20 minutes with a little bit of stretching now and then, usually works for me.
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    Yes definitely do some stretching, and try either an Aleve or muscle rub cream. It's normal to be sore...especially if you haven't worked out for a while.

Yep, I found that stretching out those muscles does wonders. Along with advil and more water!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Just want them back in working order for tonight's bike ride, LOL! I've been working out plenty, just haven't been running. Apparently the legs didn't appreciate it as much as I did :)
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything scientific about this but a friend of mine takes an ice cold bath after his runs. He swears by it. I do imagine that it has to be right after the workout though.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've heard rumors that drinking chocolate milk after a workout will keep one from being sore. I've never tried it, but I know a few people who have and they say it works. Of course, this wouldn't help much now, but for future reference :) also try sitting in a hot tub or taking a hot shower, or alternating ice and heat every 20 minutes with a little bit of stretching now and then, usually works for me.

Definitely not a rumor! Chocolate milk has the perfect protein:carb ratio. I drink it after every bike ride. Hmm, maybe that's why I can ride like the wind and not be sore, but I'm hurting after a short run. Too late for chocolate milk to do the job now though. It's got to be consumed right after the exercise. Doh!
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options

I do something very similar. I drink one serving of Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate protein mixed with fat free milk at least 30 minutes before I workout/run. Then with 15 minutes of finishing I'll have a second shake with two servings. I never get sore like I used to.

Maybe it's mental, maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm just well hydrated. Most likely all three.

:glasses:
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've heard a warm bath with epson salts really helps alot!
    Relaxes muscles and draws toxins from the body.
    Hope you get to feeling better soon!