short girls, what size jeans?

Options
I am 5'1, my starting weight was 186 and I am now at 168 and STILL in a size 16! I have friends about my height who weigh more than I do and they are in 12s and 14s. I know body shapes have a lot to do with it but dang. I feel like I am making progress but it just seems like I'm never gonna start dropping sizes. My friends and family don't believe me when I tell them I'm a 16. But when I try on a 14 I either can't button them, or if I manage to button them I can't even breathe! So I was just curios, what jeans size are you in? How many lbs did you have to lose before you went down a size? Is there anyone out there around my height and weight that still has to wear a 16 or am I just a disproportioned freak?

Replies

• sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    You are not a disproportioned freak.

I'm 5'1 too and 154 pounds. It depends on the jeans but I get into a 14 or a 16. Sizes really vary by manufacturer.

It is frustrating to lose so much weight and not drop sizes yet but keep at it and you WILL drop sizes. It will be very rewarding. Don't give up.

When you drop to 150, you can probably get into a 14.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You're not a freak! I'm 4'11" and I was wearing a size 11 at my heaviest (153lbs) and when I started losing weight I dropped to a 7...I've been at size 7 for quite some time now and I've got 7lbs left to lose (goal: 110lbs). I don't know if I'll ever see my size 3 jeans again--I think having my son has widened my hips for eternity!! But I'm still holding on to those jeans...JUST IN CASE!!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 185 it depends on the manufacturer for me. I just got a pair of Slender Secret from Lee that are a 14 and fit pretty well. About a month and half ago I went to try on jeans at Old Navy and I couldn't even get the 14 on but the 16 was a little big. (I needed jeans that day, so I bought the 16 and now they're way too loose.) I have a pair of shorts that are Levis that I bought over a year ago and never wore. They actually fit now, and they're an 18.

Crazy thing is I have my measurements (I get measured about ever 6 weeks) and I figured I could use those for shopping. I had just purchased pants the day before after trying them on in the store. (Lee Comfort Fit waistband khakis.) When I used my measurements, the website told me I needed pants 2 sizes bigger than my original pants (the ones I had been wearing before I'd lost 6" off my waist and 4" off my hips) not the ones that I had just bought!
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    hello im 5'2 (16 years old) and 108lbs im a size 8 but sometimes size 8 is still too tight on me and leaves marks
    dont worry about it, it really all depends
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am 5 3 and when I was 184 I was in a 14! When I was 144 I was in a 9! BUT!!! I have gained muscles and can still wear a 9 and I actually have some American Eagle jeans that are 8's. It all depends on your body type. Last summer me and my best friend weighed the same and she wore like a 5, but she has a smaller tummy then me.
  • Reverie09
    Reverie09 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Last time I was at this weight I wore a 14, but that was before I had my 2nd baby. I guess I never really thought about how that may have an effect on things. both of my kids were born c section but my last pregnancy did take a bigger toll on my body than the 1st.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    5'3" at my current weight, 151 I am a loose 8 tight 6. At 141 and lifting weights I am a size 4 in any brand and some juniors size 5's. at 135 it gets weird, can still wear the 4, but can fit some juniors 3's and if the pants run big like Old Navy I can wear a 2 which is just stupid. Every body is different, I have a small waist in proportion to my butt and when i get really ripped from weights I get really frustrated because to fit my butt the waist is always too big and gaps.
  • aly1221
    aly1221 Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm 5' and when I was 145 I was a constant size 11 when I got to 120 I got into a 7, right now im around 133 and I'm at 11 and 9. It honestly depends on your body type, hips are a big thing for me, and also what your comfortable in.
    My biggest thing was to learn not to judge how I feel about myself by what size I'm in (weight sometimes redistributes) but how well I'm doing and how good I feel.
    Good luck!
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    This is going to sound sad, but I'm not even positive what size pants I was in when I was in the 180's. I was in a stretchy XL. Nothing that buttoned. It was probably ~16 if I had to estimate. I am 5'0" and all my weight goes right into my 2 tummy rolls just above and below my belly button. I got back into a 12 in my 150s, and a 10 in my 140s. I finally fit into size 8's now and I'm currently 139. I seemed to drop a pant size every 10 lbs or so. Everyone's body is so different, though and I agree that the manufacturer makes a big difference.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it really depends on the brand and how you are built. I'm 5'3. I currently wear a size 10 in most brands but in this post there are people who are the same height/weight as me, but they are in larger or smaller sizes.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'8, about 110lbs and i go from a 3 to a 7-depending on who made the jeans.

I was in an 11 last April (a TIGHT 11) so it's taken me a year and many, many inches off my hips.
  • MallRatMeg
    MallRatMeg Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I wear a size 10 in some jeans, 9 in others and 11 in others so it just really depends. Plus I have a big butt :p
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    5'3" and 180lbs, I wear a size 14.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    5'0" @ 168lbs I wore a size 18!!!!! WTF!
  • miaz143
    miaz143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! Have you tried a different cut in jeans. Sometimes depending on where they cut on you it can be a bigger or smaller size. For me because I have a rather big butt, I get midrise. I'm 5'2" and 183lbs and depending on the brand, I'm anywhere between a size 8 - 12. The cut really does matter and so does the type of material. Don't get discouraged! It happens to the best of us... even the skinny minis!!!

- Amelia
  • yalmira82
    yalmira82 Posts: 37
    Options
    Now with me. I lost alot of weight a while back. But when I started I was 5'0 at a size 14 180 lbs. It took a little bit to stop dropping pant sizes. It was like my waste was shrinking and my arms, then my face....so yeah my proportion was not looking to good. I was looking all crazy! But then I stated losing my legs, arms
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    im 5'1", 111 pounds...depends on the brand of jean...i can wear anywhere from a 0 to a 4 in jeans...most of my jean shorts from american eagle are a size 2
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    5'4" and size 6 :-)
  • yalmira82
    yalmira82 Posts: 37
    Options
    SORY POSTED MESSAGE BEFORE I WAS DONE. Anyways my point is...you will start losing weight, then after a little bit...you will start seeing changes. Just stick to it and don't be dissappointed if it don't happen now. You will wake up one morning and be like d**** where did it all go!
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 15 years old. I wear sizes 11-13, and I weigh 154.5 lbs. I have only dropped 6 lbs, so I haven't dropped any sizes, but I know that it will happen. Just keep trying, and when you can finally fit into those little sizes, it'll be great!

I know that I can't wait until I can fit into a size 5-7 again.....that's my goal! :)