High protein foods?

Options
I have recently switched my ratios to 40 % carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat (to switch it up and get my metabolism going again). What I have noticed is that it is incredibly difficult to find foods that have more grams of protein than carbs. For example:
chicken breast - 12 g carbs, 10 g protein
nuts - 5 g carbs, 3 g protein
black beans 6 g carbs 5 g protein

How can I come up with equal amounts of carbs and protein when these foods all have more carbs? What high protein foods should I be trying that I am not eating? My food diary is open if anyone has advice - thanks!

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    do you use protein shakes? They come with different amounts of carbs in but always hi levels of protein... I find them great to boost up my protein figures whilst keeping my carbs down (i use a diet whey with little carbs)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, tofu, cheese...
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I eat starkist very low sodium tuna. It has carbs 0, protein 16g in 1/2 a can.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Just some things from my own food diary: Salmon, tuna, tilapia (probably lots of different fish), cheese, eggs, some PB (dunno about all of them). I'm sure there are more, but this is just what I found in my own diary recently. :) You could also look into the protein powders, the one I use is more protein than carbs. :) Good luck!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    fish is high in protien, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meat (top round, bottom round, hamburger 97/3%) and also protien shakes. feel free to add me as a friend and you can view my diary. my rations are similar to yours
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What kind of chicken breasts are you using? They should be predominantly protein. The ones I use from TJ's have 26 grams of protein and 0 carbs.

Also look into things like greek yogurt, eye of round steak, pork chops, fish steaks, etc.

BTW, keep us updated on your 40/40 plan. A lot of people find that kind of breakdown challenging, but very effective.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have recently switched my ratios to 40 % carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat (to switch it up and get my metabolism going again). What I have noticed is that it is incredibly difficult to find foods that have more grams of protein than carbs. For example:
    chicken breast - 12 g carbs, 10 g protein
    nuts - 5 g carbs, 3 g protein
    black beans 6 g carbs 5 g protein

How can I come up with equal amounts of carbs and protein when these foods all have more carbs? What high protein foods should I be trying that I am not eating? My food diary is open if anyone has advice - thanks!

I have never seen a chicken breast with carbs? where did you get this info? Most meat have 0 to 1 gram of cabs to a lot of protein. 4 oz of chicken breast has 184 calories, 36 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat and 0 carbs.

You can get low fat cheese with a 2:1 ratio of protein to fat, with only a couple carbs, Greek Yogurt 18gs protein to less than 10g carbs.

Looking at your diary, those are chicken strips or nuggets that have carbs, the carbs are in the breading, not the meat.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    The proteini use has 2g crabs and 24g protein only 100cals too. It's called my protein. Or I use phd impact whey which is 3 g carbs 18g protein.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What kind of chicken breasts are you using? They should be predominantly protein. The ones I use from TJ's have 26 grams of protein and 0 carbs.

Also look into things like greek yogurt, eye of round steak, pork chops, fish steaks, etc.

BTW, keep us updated on your 40/40 plan. A lot of people find that kind of breakdown challenging, but very effective.

I was going to ask the same thing. The last batch of skinless/boneless chicken tenders I made had 16g of protein and 1 carb.
    Alot of the chicken I buy has even higher protein and a similar carb count. I also eat canadian bacon. I'm doing the 40/40/20.
    A good website to browse is ShopWell.com . You can customize what is important to you (such as low carb, high protein, etc) and it gives you suggestions on things you might like. It's a great site to browse nutritional info on a whole bunch of foods!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese: 1/2 c. 90 calories, 5 g carbs, 1 g fat, 13 g protein! =)
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks guys! The chicken I buy is boneless/skinless - not Tyson brand. I was just choosing the closest thing I could find. I do eat Greek yogurt, but have to add in the fruit to stomach it :/ I also do protein shakes but the brand I bought is high carb/high protein. I will need to look into getting a high protein/low carb version. Fish is a great idea, unfortunately, I don't like it AT ALL!!!! These are good suggestions - I will start looking into some of these :)
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do the 40-40-20 ratio too :) You want your overall food intake for the day to have these percentages, not necessarily each item.
    Just give your meals some variety to get everything in. I love having fresh fruit with my meals and that usually gets my carbs in.
    Ex. My typical breakfast is scrambled eggwhites, turkey bacon, and a banana (proteins mainly from the eggwhites, turkey bacon and carbs from the banana). The protein shakes I use are EAS Carb Control in chocolate 17g protein, 4 carb. Hope this helps :)