When was the last time you remember...

Options
iAMaPhoenix
iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
Crying? It could be a simple tear jerker or full on bawling. What did it for you? Be it a movie, a NSV, a scale victory, bad or good news, or hurting yourself. Share with your fellow MFPers what it took to open up your tear ducts. I know some of you are still thinking this topic was about something else, but PP and NewLK, bring it down a notch...lol.

For me, it was when my son graduated from high school last year. It wa extra special because at 2 months old, his mother basically dropped him off at my doorstep and said she was not ready to be a mom at this stage in her life. I was in the military at the time and could barely take care of myself. Unlike female service members, single fathers do not get the financial assistance afforded single mothers. Somehow we made it through. He was there through my college and during my rotations. How we had to juggle our living situation then. Lots of days, we had rice and hot dogs. If we were lucky, frozen Mac and Cheese was on the table for Sunday Dinner. Yet we pushed on. He never asked for much, except for the occasional video game. Life did get better after I passed my boards, and his new mom entered his life. To see him graduate from high school and now studying Engineering in college is a far cry from that "Moses in the bullrushes" moment of years ago. I guess when he graduates college, I will be able to fill up the Mississippi River with the tears that will be flowing.

What is your moment?

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, and I was being a total drama queen. I had an anaphylactic reaction to a facial (think how people who are allergic to shellfish get all swollen up when they eat shellfish), and in addition to the swelling, my face was all red and blistered, and when I looked in the mirror, I didn't even remotely resemble myself. It seemed to drag on for days until I was able to get in to see a dermatologist to get some prednisone, and it was just really soul-crushing to me because only days before this happened, I had gotten a promotion at work, and I had met a really awesome, really hot guy who was actually interested in me. I felt beautiful and special for the first time in a long time, and then suddenly my face was melting off, and I was in the depths of despair.

Sometimes I think God hands me those moments so that I remember what's really important in life.
  • Bubdog1
    Bubdog1 Posts: 72
    Options
    Last Sunday, which was Father's Day. My dad passed away on January 1st of this year, so this was my first Father's Day without him. I miss him so much!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Twice yesterday. First was in the morning when I weighed and I had broken out of the 300's. I haven't been in the 200's for at LEAST 6 years. And second was last night cutting an especially potent onion for dinner. lol I went to bed and my eyes were still stinging.....but it was a good onion on those burgers!!!!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Father's Day...it made me miss my grandpa so much!!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago...my husband and I were at a crossroads...it was kind of a 3 day long cryfest all around. Bleh.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I was reading chicken soup for the kids soul with my son last night and both stories that i read made me tear up. lol
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Today when I hit 50 pounds lost :heart:
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    May 28th. My husband's (and my) good friend was KIA in Afghanistan. I didn't cry until after I spoke to my husband at 3:30am that night and he told me he was there, was the first to get to him, and told me the whole story.

He helped us move, babysat our son, I cooked him supper on several occasions, we have pictures together, he stayed overnight at our house a few times... He was 23 and an amazing Marine and friend. He'll be greatly missed!
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Crying? It could be a simple tear jerker or full on bawling. What did it for you? Be it a movie, a NSV, a scale victory, bad or good news, or hurting yourself. Share with your fellow MFPers what it took to open up your tear ducts. I know some of you are still thinking this topic was about something else, but PP and NewLK, bring it down a notch...lol.

For me, it was when my son graduated from high school last year. It wa extra special because at 2 months old, his mother basically dropped him off at my doorstep and said she was not ready to be a mom at this stage in her life. I was in the military at the time and could barely take care of myself. Unlike female service members, single fathers do not get the financial assistance afforded single mothers. Somehow we made it through. He was there through my college and during my rotations. How we had to juggle our living situation then. Lots of days, we had rice and hot dogs. If we were lucky, frozen Mac and Cheese was on the table for Sunday Dinner. Yet we pushed on. He never asked for much, except for the occasional video game. Life did get better after I passed my boards, and his new mom entered his life. To see him graduate from high school and now studying Engineering in college is a far cry from that "Moses in the bullrushes" moment of years ago. I guess when he graduates college, I will be able to fill up the Mississippi River with the tears that will be flowing.

What is your moment?

Wow. It's good to know there are great dads like you out there! I almost cried reading that!
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was at my College graduation yesterday and I teared up when the student association president proposed to his girlfriend right as she was on stage getting her diploma. It was super cute!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I have been crying all week!

My 6 year old daughter was in danger of being held back this year. She was very delayed in her speech and she is still catching up. Through her hard work and determination she had an amazing year at school. She is almost at the same level now in reading and writing as her peers. She received a special award, Attitude is Everything. This award is really is going to be even more modivation for her to succeed next year!

My 10 year old son, who graduated 5th grade yesterday also received a special award. His award was for his enthusiasm, caring and helping others, and for always having a smile on his face. He is such a sweet, special kid, but lacks confidence, so to have his teachers choose him for this award will hopefully be a huge ego boost for going into 6th grade!

I am so proud of both of them and they are truly wonderful kids in spite of me!

Here come the tears agai! :sad:
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Hmm gonna have to think about this for a minute.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just this past Monday when my brother and sister in law finalized their 2 adoptions of 2 wonderful boys! I cried like a baby.
  • Twylla
    Twylla Posts: 51
    Options
    It'll be two weeks this saturday that I walked down the isle of our church and married the love of my life. I had several moments that I held back tears (only barely) and was doing so good and thought I would make it through the entire ceremony until we both faced out at all of our closest friends and family and sitting in the second row right on the edge was my daddy. Staring up at his baby girl who just married her best friend and was crying, well that was it I started crying but couldn't look away. I cried walking out of the church and then went up to him later and said that just because Alex and I are our own new family it didn't mean I was no longer his baby girl because NO ONE can take that away from us. That day had alot of crying and I will remember it all for the rest of my life!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have to say it always kills me to see parents in tears because they're proud of something their kids did. I guess it's because I had parents who were very involved in my life and very supportive of me, so I know what it's like, as a kid, to have that kind of love and positive reinforcement, and I love seeing other kids have that experience and to see parents really doing their jobs the right way.
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It'll be two weeks this saturday that I walked down the isle of our church and married the love of my life. I had several moments that I held back tears (only barely) and was doing so good and thought I would make it through the entire ceremony until we both faced out at all of our closest friends and family and sitting in the second row right on the edge was my daddy. Staring up at his baby girl who just married her best friend and was crying, well that was it I started crying but couldn't look away. I cried walking out of the church and then went up to him later and said that just because Alex and I are our own new family it didn't mean I was no longer his baby girl because NO ONE can take that away from us. That day had alot of crying and I will remember it all for the rest of my life!

I just cried reading that post. My baby girl just became engaged this past weekend. The wedding date isn't even set yet and I'm crying just thinking about that day. These aren't really tears of sadness, but joy for her happiness. OK, maybe a little bit of sadness that she will be leaving the nest!!
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    I am sure there have been moments since this where I've been brought to tears, but one that really sticks out in my mind is the day my daughter was born. I just remember calling my mom and trying to tell her she had a new granddaughter and couldn't even get the words out! I am sure I'll be the same way when baby number two comes into the world in early December!

Great post E., thanks for sharing!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    May 28th. My husband's (and my) good friend was KIA in Afghanistan. I didn't cry until after I spoke to my husband at 3:30am that night and he told me he was there, was the first to get to him, and told me the whole story.

He helped us move, babysat our son, I cooked him supper on several occasions, we have pictures together, he stayed overnight at our house a few times... He was 23 and an amazing Marine and friend. He'll be greatly missed!

So sorry to hear that. As a Veteran who served in Desert Storm, I feel your pain. I am sure I speak for all MFPers when I say to please thank your husband for serving for all of us, and may God Bless all of you.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear that. As a Veteran who served in Desert Storm, I feel your pain. I am sure I speak for all MFPers when I say to please thank your husband for serving for all of us, and may God Bless all of you.

Thanks pa2b32, I really appreciate it.
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    That's a beautiful story! I really did not want to talk about my moment because I still ball about it sometimes and I'm tearing up now. But my moment was when my 13 y/o daughter was diagnosed with bone cancer. I not one time cried because I wanted to be strong for her and the rest of my family. My daughter, 2 sons, husband & I literally LIVED at the hospital (no joke!) for 6 months. Then after the six months and a hip disarticulation, we were home and about 4 months later is when I finally broke down so bad that I couldn't stop. Hubby thought he'd have to take me to the hospital because I could not stop. On one hand it was the release of all of the held back emotions, then it was the fact that the doctors only guaranteed 3-5 years more of life and then the fact that she was doing so great emotionally and physically and I was so proud of her. She's 16 now and is still the diva that she was born to be. :-)