Water & Crystal Light

Options
Karyn1120
Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
I absolutely loathe drinking plain water. If I add Crystal Light (or any of the other flavorings) can I count it as water for the day? I'll add it to my food log, but need to know if it's ok to log it as water too.

Replies

• johnny51981
    Options
    I have this same question about coffee. LOL
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes you would count it as water and just log the calories from the Crystal Light.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Some say yes, some say no. It really is up to you.

I say if it's not high in calories, sugar or sodium, absolutely count it (I do)!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I do. Some people on here will say no, that the only thing you can log is plain water - but it is bunk! Now, I don't log my one soda a day, or my OJ. I don't drink coffee or tea.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I count it as water and log the calories for the Crystal light. Its still water. You just added some powder to it.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Yes you would count it as water and just log the calories from the Crystal Light.

I sure do!! I log the calories and count the water... then I also make sure that I drink plain water during my workout and "recovery" after.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am the same. If you like the flavor of lemon, you can try what I do. I buy RealLemon lemon juice (0 calories) and add it to my water. Although I have gotten much better about drinking plain water, I think it goes down a lot easier when it has a little flavor.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't drink that stuff, but if I didn't enjoy plain water, I would drink crystal light type stuff and I would count it as water plus the few calories from the flavoring mix.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions on this.

IMO - Crystal Light is fine - SOMETIMES. But having something sweet, something flavored, all the time is not the best habit.

Try putting lemon wedges in your water, or try an unsweetened flavored water (Klarbrunn is yummy). I use a Brita water filter pitcher - and leave it in the fridge. Cold water is the best thing after exercise.
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    Of course it counts. It makes drinking water tolerable and at only 20 calories a single packet it's worth it. I think I'll have one right now! :glasses:

By the way, Deer Park makes a sparkling water. Orange and berry twist are the best but there's also lime and lemon. It's bubbly and has no artificial sweeteners. Just pure fruit "essence".
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I count mine as water! I add the crystal light to my calories for the day but just because you add flavor to it doesn't change it from water into wine or anything :laugh: that's the only way I can get mine down too... that and I got a cup with a straw and that makes it all easier to drink too!
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I read the other day that drinking 1 16oz glass of ICE COLD water burns about 20 calories. Your body raises the temperature of the water when you drink it and in doing this uses energy (i.e. calories). I'm excited to know that when I drink my gallon of ice water every day, I'm burning about 160 calories! Just thought I'd share :) Maybe this will make up for any calories you're taking in by adding the Crystal Light.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I only drink water (with the very odd splurge of a diet pepsi) ...and I would say 3 out of 4 times my water has added flavoured crystals in it like crystal light. I have had huge success with weight loss so I do not think adding flavoured water crystals would hinder anyones water inake.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I always count the water I use with my Crystal Light. I have a bottle that holds 8 cups of water and I use 1-2 packets of Crystal Light to go in it. THe tea ones I use 1 pack others I use 2. I do count the cals from the mix. ust remember half a packet is 10 cals. Some of the ones in the database are incorrect. 1 packet = 20 cals.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sure...count is as water, just log the packet of crystal light for the sake of the calories
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I count it as water, but i mix it very weak (24-32 oz per 1 on the go pack (usually 16 oz of water per pack)) And i limit it to 1-2 packets a day. I usually drink 8-10 glasses additional plain water for a total of 15-20, 8 oz glasses a day.

I too hated plain water, but trust me, you do get used to it. Drink as much or more plain as you do flavored!
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I count it as water, but i mix it very weak (24-32 oz per 1 on the go pack (usually 16 oz of water per pack)) And i limit it to 1-2 packets a day. I usually drink 8-10 glasses additional plain water for a total of 15-20, 8 oz glasses a day.

I too hated plain water, but trust me, you do get used to it. Drink as much or more plain as you do flavored!

This is me, I dilute it a ton as I don't like the super sweetness of 'full strength', I just need something to cut the edge of the water taste!

Also definitely get a filtered pitcher you can leave in the fridge! SO refreshing after exercising!!
  • lindsayfranke
    lindsayfranke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    SoBe Life water has some zero calorie options and they are good! Try Yumberry Pomegranate. Around me they are dollar each - great deal!

If you drink your coffee black it will have less calories. From what I am finding its about 5 calories/serving!

Those Real lemon packets are AWESOME too!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    You should try MIO. It's a zero calorie and zero sugar flavoring for water. It's really good, and guilt free!
    http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/

I have seen it at walmart before, but you can look on the website and see where they have it near you.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    when I was pregnant with my 2nd baby (now 3 1/2) I was borderline gestational diabetic.
    they told me that tea and coffee counted as water. of course tea will make you pee (it's a diuretic).