Going to increase calories but so nervous

Options
I've decided to up my calorie intake. This makes me nervous but I've not been eating all 1200 calories a day nor have I been eating my exercise calories. The scale hasn't budged in almost two weeks. I may be losing inches but I'm not sure because I just started measuring. It seems counter intuitive to eat MORE but I guess I'll see what happens. I do notice that I am very tired lately (since increasing the amount of exercise). Am I making a mistake or should I just give my current situation time?

Replies

• sbrandl
    sbrandl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I wasn't eating my allowed 1200 calories and then exercising on top of that...and not eating back those calories. My deficit some days was really low. So, a few days ago I decided to eat more....I feel better. Have more energy. And today when I stepped on the scale - down 2 pounds! I agree, it seems counter productive, but it seems to have helped. Good luck!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    when I get "stuck", I change my goals from 1.5 lbs to 1... and then back down after a few weeks, Worked last time, it is scary though. I was at 1280 and now am at 1580ish. *crosses fingers*
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I wasn't eating my allowed 1200 calories and then exercising on top of that...and not eating back those calories. My deficit some days was really low. So, a few days ago I decided to eat more....I feel better. Have more energy. And today when I stepped on the scale - down 2 pounds! I agree, it seems counter productive, but it seems to have helped. Good luck!!

yeah!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Just some friendly advice.......eat all of your 1200 calories snd at least some of your exercise calories and you will definitely see some good results. When you don't eat them, you put your body in starvation mode......your body will start eating muscle, you run the risk of losing hair, bad nails, etc........it's just not healthy. Mayo clinic has some good articles about it.
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    Sounds exactly like me. I just changed my goal to lose 1/2 pound a week which put me up to just over 1400 calories. I think it is a mental thing lol because now that I am allowed over 1200 I am atleast getting to 1200 or just over daily.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I wasn't eating enough.. I was at abut 1200 calories but I was exercising a lot (I teach aqua and spinning classes 7 days a week). You migh gain a few pounds back but losing it will seem much easier once your body realizes that it isn't starving and you start to drop weight again. Don't be nervous, it really is nice being able to eat and STILL lose weight. Granted it will be slower but slower is better because then you won't just lose weight because you are losing muscle mass.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I have been fighting myself with this same issue. I try to keep telling myself to eat more, but i don't and instead I go out and exercise more adding more calories to what I need to eat. I am struggling with the eating more and some days my net is only around 1000. I have got to change my mindset and enjoy more food.
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    eating more calories helped me kick start my weight loss again (i was nervous about eating more too since i worked so hard!)
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe I will start by eating back just my exercise calories first and see how that works. If that doesn't help, then I will increase my calorie intake. Yikes!!!!!