falling apart to get it together

JimieLou
JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
edited September 28 in Introduce Yourself
I've been on MFP for about 2 months now, but this is my first post. I've been pretty much obese my whole life. Last October, I was put on blood pressure meds. My doc told me that if I lost the wieght, I could control it on my own and go off the meds. I didn't really start shaping up my life until February when my entire life fell apart. My boyfriend broke up with me to marry another girl. My best friend who was my bf's brother "dumped" me too and took all my other friends with her. I weighed in at 302 pounds in February. I am currently at 260. People always ask me what diet I'm on. I tell them, I'm not on a diet, I'm on a lifestyle change. While most people would have turned to food at those times of depression, I turned to working out. I found that taking my aggression out during a walk, bike or heavy bag session made me feel good, probably better than a piece of cake would. Five months later and 40 pounds lighter, I fit into jeans I wore in college. However, I'm not done....not even close. I've inspired my mom to get into shape with me. You see, diabetes runs in our family and her mom died from complications at a fairly young age. I know she's scared of the same thing. So together, we are doing this for the right reasons. From incorporating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies into our meals...our favorite is roasted mushrooms....to walking or riding bike 6 miles every day. I know we both have a long ways to go to meet our goal weights, but without each other's motivation, we wouldn't even be making the progress we are.
I turned to MFP as a way to have a support system since all I really have is my mom and sister supporting me since my "friends" no longer seem to care
I'm sad to know that it took me hitting rock bottom socially...I went from having everything to having nothing...to make these life changes...but I'm definately glad I did.

Replies

• JENN17501
    JENN17501 Posts: 17
    some times it takes loosing everything to gain everything. You sound like you're gaining so much more then you lost. We'll rally around you and your mom and cheer you on! Way to go you! Way to go.
  • spoofed
    spoofed Posts: 11
    Wow you are doing AMAZINGLY well! Be so proud of yourself and your accomplishments. I think it takes a lot of honesty to admit when you are at a low point and use it to propel yourself forward. Good luck!
  • ruchilady
    ruchilady Posts: 8
    Welcome and good for you!!! You are taking control of what you can and with that other good stuff will come :) Hang in there - there are lots of great people here for support!! :):smile:
  • shubra2
    shubra2 Posts: 6 Member
    :flowerforyou: You rock! That's such an amazing story... I am a lady with a :brokenheart: ... I was in a relationship and a few days before my wedding, my significant other postponed it. Right now, things are still rocky, and I am trying my best to continue on, though I've never been alone before. Don't know what's going to happen, so instead of crying all day and wondering what to do..I decided to start exercising. Its the ONLY thing that keeps me going on and I am motivated to just feel good about myself. Each day is a challenge and a blessing. It's only been a month since I've started this, and I am starting to realize how strong I really am. God gives us problems that we can handle.
    I hope you and your Mom continue on forward being healthy. Good luck to you!
  • timboinc
    timboinc Posts: 1
    When we hit rock bottom we truly find out who our friends are. It seams to me that you not only loosing weight but you lost some excess baggage as well. Keep up the good work we are all in it with you.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    MissMichellemybelle Posts: 70 Member
    The only direction you can go now is up! Forgive those people who brought you down with their cruel actions, but don't forget. Like you said, just direct that anger and frustration into something productive, like a healthier and happier, more independent and confident you!
  • mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Keep it up!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    I'm honored to meet you. I mean that. You took a crappy, heartbreaking situation and turned it into a lifesaving change of direction--and you've brought your mom with you, which is amazing. I wish I could inspire my mom, but she's not willing. You could have lapsed into a mire of misery, but instead you turned it into something amazing. That is so inspiring.

Check out the various boards, you'll find groups and gangs and great folks. I'm glad you're here.

Kris
  • bittygirl51
    bittygirl51 Posts: 7 Member
    Wow! Congratulations on making a healthy life choice rather than a negative one. When things got tough, you didn't turn to the usual medication (food), but instead turned to exercise! I am so proud of you! It will take a while for you to grieve the losses, but think of all that you gained! Self-confidence, self-assuredness, self-awareness, self-motivation and self-esteem! As you continue to not only get more physically healthy you will grow to be more emotionally healthy as well. That will have a snow ball effect on your life because you will make new friends that will be healthier themselves and worthy of your friendship. You will be a better person in the long run. You have'nt lost anything but WEIGHT, but you've gained tremendously!!

Kudos to you!!
    Linda aka Bittygirl:heart:
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Thank you so very much for all the kind words of praise and encouragment!!! It truly means so much to know that there are people out there who are willing to offer such kind words to someone they don't even know. I am so very glad and grateful that I have joined the MFP community!!
This discussion has been closed.