Pneumonia and flying..

jimmie25
jimmie25 Posts: 266
edited September 28 in Chit-Chat
Hellous

Does anyone know how dangerous it is to attend a 2 hrs flight 2-3 days after having suffered from pneumonia? i found out about it today and they gave me antibiotics which i'll have to take until 1st of july. I'm supposed to go abroad on 4th of july and now i'm wondering if that'll be too dangerous after all :( I forgot to ask my doc about this, now i'll have to wait until monday when he get's back to work...

Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Obviously checking with your doctor is a good idea. The main concern I would have is are your ears clear and can you breathe easily? If the answer is yes - you shouldn't end up with any ear issues.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I don't think you can say you will be 2-3 days past having pneumonia if you have just been diagnosed. I had it back in Nov and I was quite seriously ill for 3 weeks.
  • jimmie25
    well the weird thing is that i have like NO symptoms at all, no fever, no cough, nothing. they took x-rays due to some allergy tests and "accidently" found out about the pneumonia, so they put me on antibiotics right away. i have no trouble breathing and no ear problems..
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    That doesn't sound like pneumonia then. I would get a second opinion.
  • JAYRFOXY1
    JAYRFOXY1 Posts: 11 Member
    Reduced oxygen levels in the cabin can sometimes lead to a condition called hypoxia, whose symptoms (sleepiness, lightheadedness, nausea, headache, etc.) are innocuous for healthy travelers, but far less benign for travelers with cardiac and respiratory conditions and heavy smokers. If you have trouble breathing on the ground, you’re likely to have even more trouble once you’re in the air and may require supplemental oxygen.

Air travel is normally considered safe for individuals with lung diseases provided they can walk at least a block or climb a flight of stairs without getting breathless. Supplemental oxygen may be required during flights and on the ground between flights for those who cannot meet these criteria.

ROAD RULES: Contact the airlines in advance to arrange for in-flight oxygen (you cannot use your own on commercial flights) and to arrange for any equipment that you may need before you leave. You can find out just about everything you’ll need to know to secure supplemental oxygen for flights at the Traveling by Air page of the Breathin’ Easy Web site. A chart detailing the airlines’ specific requirements is also available.
  • jimmie25
    yey thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.