Fruit calories

Options
Do all of you count fruit calories? I believe I have heard that weight watchers is no longer counting points for fruit. I can't decide which way to go, (count the fruit or not).

Thanks,
Joy

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Count it. While fruit is good for you, it still counts towards a balanced diet. Besides, by logging it you can see just how many carbs, fiber and sugars are in various fruits.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    HI HON, YES I COUNT THEM, SOME FRUITS CAN BE PRETTY HIGH IN CALORIES, SO I WOULD COUNT THEM. RED
  • caitie88
    caitie88 Posts: 19
    Options
    count them unless you are doing weight watchers. Follow the program you are on. Mixing different programs together doesn't work.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    MFP and WW run on two different plans. MFP is all about calories in vs. calories out and a healthy lifestyle. When counting calories you should record everything you eat and drink - healthy foods and not so healthy foods alike.

If you are logging your foods on MFP - count them all!

Good luck on your journey!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Count fruit calories, sugar, fiber and carbs
  • DestinyJoy57
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I will count it, but the sugar content is what bothers me. I am always over on my sugar grams everyday. I thought fruit's natural sugar would not be so high or bad for me. Sometimes I want to give up on this healthy eating as I can't seem to do it right. I eat granola, banana chips, fruit, yoghurt, thin wheat buns, peanut butter....etc... and still my food tracker puts me too high on sugar. What's a person to do? LOL! I will keep trying "one day at a time".
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if youre only over on sugar from actual fruit, dont worry.
    Fruit juice, sweets, sugary snacks, sugary drinks, yes, worry about those, but actual fruit, the benefits outweigh the negatives to the sugar.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i always log everything... i did you know 10 sweet cherries has around 90 cals... an apple is around 45 same with a peach. a banana has 105. some fruits are better than others. so i log everything even my 3 cal gum :)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'd say count them, unless you're following weight-watchers. In that case, you may want to give their program a try. :) Weight-watchers most likely accounts for all the fruit (and I'm pretty sure there IS a limit) by lowering point goals. I don't know for sure, but it seems to make sense to me.... Anyways...

Fruits can really add up. A banana is roughly 100 calories, a cup of strawberries is around 60 calories, and an apple is around 80. That's 240 calories in fruit alone -- which would be the same as eating a candy bar. A calorie is a calorie. If you're not going to count 200+ calories of fruit, you might as well not count 200+ calories worth of anything else either.
  • DestinyJoy57
    Options
    Thanks. I will try to keep track of fruit sugars and other sugar separately in my mind so I don't feel so bad about it. :smile:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I will count it, but the sugar content is what bothers me. I am always over on my sugar grams everyday. I thought fruit's natural sugar would not be so high or bad for me. Sometimes I want to give up on this healthy eating as I can't seem to do it right. I eat granola, banana chips, fruit, yoghurt, thin wheat buns, peanut butter....etc... and still my food tracker puts me too high on sugar. What's a person to do? LOL! I will keep trying "one day at a time".

Unless your doctor has mentioned that you need to be tracking your sugar intake, I wouldn't even bother. See? It's already stressing you out. Stress isn't good for weight loss or your mental health. I remember about a year ago, when I was tracking sugars and sodium and carbs and everything else, I got so frustrated, I stopped eating. I've lost the majority of my weight without counting anything but calories and fat grams. I'm not even sure if fat grams would matter too much, but I've counted fat grams from the beginning, and it's become a habit.
  • ar1356
    ar1356 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

WhenI went to the doctor awhile back to talk about my weight I told him I had been eating alot of fruits and veggies an wasn't sure why I wasn't losing. He told me that fruit has alot of sugar and that it does count! He actually told me not to eat fruits too often and try to eat more protein.
  • Sandbug
    Sandbug Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would count them but not be so obsessed with them. I know that's easier said than done. But don't give up!!!