Getting a little too excited

Options
Ok so I am super pumped about getting back into shape and loosing some pudge that has accumulated over the years but I think I might be planning on doing too much. Ok ok, I know it's too much but how do I make myself take a day off? My plan currently is: 30 Day Shred It in the morning before work, 6 Week 6 Pack after work, and walk or run that night. (I'm training for a 3 Day 60 Mile walk and my training calls to walk 4 days a week AND I start C25K Monday which is 3 days a week) Of course I don't want to skip a day on 30DS or 6W6P so that call for 30DS, 6W6P, then walk or run EVERY DAY.. An hour of working out and then a walk or run.. it doesn't sound too bad at times but I'm not planning any rest days.. any thoughts?

Replies

• doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Add a rest day or you will burn out and fall off the wagon. You can only do so much. I've tried the workout every day until you can barely drag yourself into bed at night and while it will work in the short term, it is impossible to keep up with.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I know I need to I just don't know how to work it into my schedule.. maybe not workout on sunday's and just go walk?
  • Nanna1962
    Nanna1962 Posts: 3
    Options
    You just gave me a workout trying to figure out your workout. Wow I really believe that you should rest at least one day a week. Good Luck
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes I also agree you should take off at least one day a week. This allows your muscles a chance to repair themselves. Your body will be rested and thank you for it! You will be super charged after rest and ready to hit it again:)
  • doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan. You have to give your muscles a chance to recover, so make it a casual walk. :)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You need to rest or you will hurt yourself and burn out. I didn't want to take a rest day either but you have to let your body have a day to recover.
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    funny...LoL....I was thinking the exact same thing :laugh:
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    Lol ok so it's decided, my poor muscles can have Sunday's off. Just have to do my training walk on that day, 4 miles this week. :) thank you all for your opinions and suggestions! Now i just have to do it lol. yesterday i was just suppose to do my morning workout and i decided to start the 6w6p because i was bored waiting for the boyfriend to get home and didn't want to do dishes lol
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You may be gung ho, but you NEED to give your body a rest day at least once a week if you are going to be working out that intensely. If you don't give your body a chance to rest and heal, you will actually be making your body weaker, not stronger. 3 workouts a day is just not doable in the long run. Your muscles need the chance to repair. You have listed 4 exercise programs!

If I were you I would combine your C25K training with your walk training. Those really don't need to be mutually exclusive. Do your walking 4 days a week, and incorporate your C25K training into that. (So if you are supposed to walk for an hour for example, walk for 15 minutes, do the 30 minutes of C25K, and then walk another 15 - that satisfies BOTH programs!)

I would also only do one of the 30DS and the 6W6P each day. Alternate days maybe. There is NOTHING saying you have to do each one every day.

No matter how excited you are right now, if you try and do all you wrote about, you are going to burn yourself out in next to no time.

Enjoy your excercise - but along with that please take care of your body!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Totally agree you need a rest day even Insanity calls for a rest day. Your body needs it..no walking no working out...or you will burn out and fall hard I think too many of us have had that experience. I am currently training for a Spartan Race in October and I just started TurboFire, which is great cardio, so I am only running "uphill" one day a week and as the race approaches I will pair down on the Turbo Fire and add days of up hill running, until my training will consist of 4 days of uphill running and some sort of fun cardio on the 5 day and 2 ( that's right 2) days of rest, I did this for warrior dash ( minus the uphill, I am doing the uphill running because this course is almost all uphill!)
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    One word: burnout.

Don't let that happen or you will resent doing your workouts and may lead to you stopping altogether.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    I would incorporate the two but it is really important for my joints to get used to the motion of walking for long constant periods of time. 20 miles a day is hard on joints and feet, this is my second time. I totally get what you're saying though, doing one every other day might be a good idea. thanks :)
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    Wow sounds like you are super excited good for you. Weight / strength training require definate rest days. Listen to your body it will tell you if and when it needs more rest than a 4 mile walk on Sunday
  • shortee75
    shortee75 Posts: 164
    Options
    I am working every day as well; however, there have been times that I didn't do any exercise for a day or 2 and even there are days where I only do 30DS:

Sunday = 30 Day Shred
    Monday = 30 Day Shred; 30 minute Body Pump class @ lunch
    Tuesday = 30 Day Shred; 30 minute Zumba @ lunch; 1 hour Zumba after work
    Wednesday = 30 Day Shred; 30 minute Step Class @ lunch
    Thursday = 30 Day Shred; 30 minute Zumba @ lunch; 1 hour Zumba after work
    Friday = 30 Day Shred
    Saturday = 30 Day Shred; 1 hour Step class

I have been told many times that I'm exercising too much, but once I am done with 30DS (15 days left) I will be taking a break on Sunday & Friday. And like I mentioned above - there are days that I just don't do all my exercise.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    Good point, once i'm done with 30 DS i might just do 6 week 6 pack and not add in another workout. and there will be days if i'm tired i won't do it all, i'm not gonna push it if my body is exhausted
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    Another good point is that this is just my plan, if i get tired or worn out i'll change it up, take a day off, do less, just my rough draft i guess
  • kaitimae
    Options
    I would incorporate the two but it is really important for my joints to get used to the motion of walking for long constant periods of time. 20 miles a day is hard on joints and feet, this is my second time. I totally get what you're saying though, doing one every other day might be a good idea. thanks :)

Walking and running do use your muscles a little differently sure - but in the grand scheme of things, doing half an hour of SOME (probably not even all) running during your walk training will not make a bit of difference. The main thing is that you get used to being on your feet that long - the milage is more important than the method. I've ran half marathons having done mostly walking in my training plan, and it worked out fine. I don't see how it will be any different the other way around. It's not like you are replacing your long distance walking regimin with C25K, you are just doing a *little* bit of running in the midst of it.
  • kaitimae
    Options
    Also, who says you aren't allowed to jog a bit when you are doing your official walk? Your mucles will probably be joyful for the change from walking! It's a good thing to do to keep them from getting too tight. =)
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add... if you overwork yourself ... you drastically increase the chance of injury ... and then you'll be set back even more than if you gave yourself (your body) adequate time to recover.

this is coming from first hand experience too.... :)
  • aud82
    aud82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You just gave me a workout trying to figure out your workout. Wow I really believe that you should rest at least one day a week. Good Luck

I totally agree! I think I broke a sweat! lol! I think it's great you have the motivation... but that's overkill.... Take one day off and relax ~ sounds like you could use it with that schedule!! :)