Options
2»

Replies

• r4968
    r4968 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    r4968 wrote: »
    I appreciate your comment but every person is different. It's great that it's working for you. It's not working for me and I am trying to figure out why. I keep pushing, eating healthy and working out. A little empathy is also a healthy habit to have.
    Best of luck in your process!

Are you losing at all? Gaining? Neither?

I am stuck! Not gaining, not losing
  • r4968
    Options
    meganw2020 wrote: »
    I understand how you feel, especially if you have a low calorie target (mine is 1400) you find yourself constantly thinking about your choices. You really do have to put a lot of thought into what you eat and plan ahead. Going to a restaurant can be an nightmare if you are truly trying to stay within your goal. I got tired of all the counting, quit doing it and gained all my weight back I lost. So for me I just realize that counting is going to have to be a way of life for me. Sooner or later you will start to remember and know what you can have in a day and it won't require so much thought. And for special occasions like going out with your hubby to a restaurant just give yourself a pass and enjoy it. Success isn't about hitting your target every single day, it is about the long haul. It will get better and the results both in your body and in your health will be worth it.

Thanks for your empathy! I will keep counting calories, but I do need to work on my anxiety level and allow myself to relax when I can't stay withiny limit. My allowed intake is 1,100 cal. Each meal has to stay below 400 calories. That's extremely difficult.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'v been on here a year & I instinctively estimate the calories of any food I see (not to eat it but if I'm around food) I log when I start eating then spend a little time reading . I guess I'm a little ocd, but it's not a big problem. I enjoy logging
  • r4968
    Options
    It's not a matter of empathy. It's perception. Not much of what I've seen described in this thread as obsessive are really bad things. When I'm working on a short term goal that can cost me money, I do a lot of these things and they don't have a negative effect. Right now I'm in the midst of a lot of birthday parties and holiday celebrations, so I'll turn down invites to other gatherings and dinners out if I'm not obligated to be there, because in this moment, I need to be in control of what I'm eating as much as possible. Living paycheck to paycheck, the money means everything.

When I'm shopping for a particular type of food item, it makes perfect sense to compare lots of labels and buy what fits my goals. Since I can't always remember how they compare, sometimes I have to go back through and compare again. And sometimes my goals change and it makes sense to have a few more calories to meet a higher protein goal, so I have to compare yet again. Sometimes I do go over my calories a little bit and borrow a few calories from the next day, or spread my overages out over the week to stay on track. Lots of people go by a weekly average on MFP, so how is that a bad thing? Someone above mentioned that they look up calorie information before dining out. It's such a common thing to do on MFP and it's encouraged, but it's mentioned here as a bad thing. Just because it seems like unusual behavior from the outside, and there's so much info to learn about what we eat it can seem overwhelming at times, that doesn't make it negative.

There's such a strange stigma attached to calorie counting. People think I'm neurotic sometimes. Even this guy up here ^ thinks it's somehow a bad thing to do long term (which is who my previous post was really directed at but I forgot to quote. My bad.). Why?

If you feel it's gotten out of control and it's harming your ability to function, I'm not saying to keep doing it anyway. If you find it to be extremely stressful, then it's not worth it.

I will keep counting calories, but I do need to work on my anxiety level and allow myself to relax when I can't stay withiny limit. My allowed intake is 1,100 cal. Each meal has to stay below 400 calories. That's extremely difficult.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm an obsessive calorie counter and have been since the 90s. I'm not looking to lose weight or to gain, just hang out here where I've been...since the 90s when I recovered (was treated) for anorexia. Counting calories gives me comfort and a weird sense of control. If it helps you, I think it's ok.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    r4968 wrote: »
    It's not a matter of empathy. It's perception. Not much of what I've seen described in this thread as obsessive are really bad things. When I'm working on a short term goal that can cost me money, I do a lot of these things and they don't have a negative effect. Right now I'm in the midst of a lot of birthday parties and holiday celebrations, so I'll turn down invites to other gatherings and dinners out if I'm not obligated to be there, because in this moment, I need to be in control of what I'm eating as much as possible. Living paycheck to paycheck, the money means everything.

When I'm shopping for a particular type of food item, it makes perfect sense to compare lots of labels and buy what fits my goals. Since I can't always remember how they compare, sometimes I have to go back through and compare again. And sometimes my goals change and it makes sense to have a few more calories to meet a higher protein goal, so I have to compare yet again. Sometimes I do go over my calories a little bit and borrow a few calories from the next day, or spread my overages out over the week to stay on track. Lots of people go by a weekly average on MFP, so how is that a bad thing? Someone above mentioned that they look up calorie information before dining out. It's such a common thing to do on MFP and it's encouraged, but it's mentioned here as a bad thing. Just because it seems like unusual behavior from the outside, and there's so much info to learn about what we eat it can seem overwhelming at times, that doesn't make it negative.

There's such a strange stigma attached to calorie counting. People think I'm neurotic sometimes. Even this guy up here ^ thinks it's somehow a bad thing to do long term (which is who my previous post was really directed at but I forgot to quote. My bad.). Why?

If you feel it's gotten out of control and it's harming your ability to function, I'm not saying to keep doing it anyway. If you find it to be extremely stressful, then it's not worth it.

I will keep counting calories, but I do need to work on my anxiety level and allow myself to relax when I can't stay withiny limit. My allowed intake is 1,100 cal. Each meal has to stay below 400 calories. That's extremely difficult.

Why don't you start your own thread? I think you're confusing these answers as being for you, when they are directed at the original post or someone else.