Exercise before weigh-in?

Options
I've been told that I should not workout before I go for my weekly weigh-in. I would think that sweating out a few extra calories before I weigh in would be beneficial?? Anybody have any thoughts on that??

Replies

• crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    I'm not sure it should matter as long as you are consisten about it. Weigh in the same way, time and manner every week.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count my weight after I work out because I have lost water weight since I sweat a lot. Your true weight would be what you weighed before you worked out.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    No you should not exercise before weigh in. I used to be a Curves fitness training and we always weighed before working out. You will usually weigh more after working out since you are stressing your musles out sometimes they will swell causing a larger number on the scales. The best time to weigh is first time in the morning after going to the bathroom:) Hope this helps!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it should matter as long as you are consisten about it. Weigh in the same way, time and manner every week.

I agree! I always weigh myself the same time time of day in basically the same clothes and under the same type of circumstances every week so I know that there aren't other factors playing in!
  • suzicooper
    suzicooper Posts: 15
    Options
    I got told not to exercise at least 3 hrs before getting weighed because it messes up ur body stats and u could show as weighing more than what u actually do..
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No you should not exercise before weigh in. I used to be a Curves fitness training and we always weighed before working out. You will usually weigh more after working out since you are stressing your musles out sometimes they will swell causing a larger number on the scales. The best time to weigh is first time in the morning after going to the bathroom:) Hope this helps!

Yea I usually weigh more and feel a little bloated after working out.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself anytime you want to. :) Most people like to weigh-in as soon as they wake up in the morning and after going to the bathroom. I find that I weight less if I wait an hour after waking up to weigh-in. I've also found that after a long workout, I do weigh significantly less. If you want to weigh-in after exercising, it's your prerogative. Nothing wrong with that.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Immediately after an exercise session you will have lost a lot of sweat and be dehydrated and you'll tend to weigh less.

For a few days after a strength exercise session, if your muscles are sore they'll retain water and you'll tend to weigh more.

I'd just be aware of the fact your reading won't be as reliable if you immediately follow an exercise session. I try to minimise all sources of error when I go for a weigh-in to try to maintain consistency. Nevertheless, don't take that as an excuse to skip exercise - overall, exercise will make you lose weight regardless of when you put your feet on the scale.

It's all much-of-a-muchness. Week in week out, you're going to see your weight fall off. If you can make yourself see the wood for the trees - i.e., not get distressed over fluctuations that distort the bigger picture - that's the best way to go about all this.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree with the consistency piece. As long as you weigh in under the same circumstances every time you know what's up. If you weigh every time after a workout then if you lose you lose. You're number may be a little up or a little down but it will be consistently up or down.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Immediately after an exercise session you will have lost a lot of sweat and be dehydrated and you'll tend to weigh less.

For a few days after a strength exercise session, if your muscles are sore they'll retain water and you'll tend to weigh more.

I'd just be aware of the fact your reading won't be as reliable if you immediately follow an exercise session. I try to minimise all sources of error when I go for a weigh-in to try to maintain consistency. Nevertheless, don't take that as an excuse to skip exercise - overall, exercise will make you lose weight regardless of when you put your feet on the scale.

It's all much-of-a-muchness. Week in week out, you're going to see your weight fall off. If you can make yourself see the wood for the trees - i.e., not get distressed over fluctuations that distort the bigger picture - that's the best way to go about all this.

Couldn't have said it better
  • sullivanx4
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!!! I go to 'nutrition classes' (similar to weight watchers) every Thurs evening and weigh-in. I usually try to workout in the morning if possible but was just wondering if there was any truth to what I had been told!!

Thanks all!!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you are working out in the morning and not weighing in until the evening, I think that's fine. If you lose any water weight during the workout, by the time you weigh in you will probably put it back on.