Protein & Fat Question

Options
LPC020409
LPC020409 Posts: 74 Member
I lost 38 pounds before I joined MFP a few days ago. I’m currently 189 and my next goal is to get to 160. I workout just about every day and just started the Supreme 90 program (kinda a cheaper version of P90x). I was wondering if anyone thinks that my protein numbers suggested are too low. I’m not doing a low carb diet. What I’m trying to do is just eat healthier and find a way of eating that will help me lose weight and keep it off in the long run. This is really only my second day logging what I eat and I’m trying to log everything in the morning in hopes that it will keep me on track. Here is what MFP suggests for me:

Calories: 1,683- this includes my exercise calories.
Carbs: 231
Fat: 56
Protein: 63

Do you think the protein is too low and the fat is too high? Thanks

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I lost 38 pounds before I joined MFP a few days ago. I’m currently 189 and my next goal is to get to 160. I workout just about every day and just started the Supreme 90 program (kinda a cheaper version of P90x). I was wondering if anyone thinks that my protein numbers suggested are too low. I’m not doing a low carb diet. What I’m trying to do is just eat healthier and find a way of eating that will help me lose weight and keep it off in the long run. This is really only my second day logging what I eat and I’m trying to log everything in the morning in hopes that it will keep me on track. Here is what MFP suggests for me:

Calories: 1,683- this includes my exercise calories.
    Carbs: 231
    Fat: 56
    Protein: 63

Do you think the protein is too low and the fat is too high? Thanks

I don't think the fat is too high, maybe increase the protein by 5%-10% and lower the carbs.
  • Rheenz
    Rheenz Posts: 23
    Options
    I customized my setting to have a 50% protein, 55% fat and 5% carb restriction on my diet. This means I get about 141g of protein a day and I think fat and protein are too low. The carbs are WAY to high... for me. /wink
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. I would up your protein to 75-100 and lower your carbs.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I customized my setting to have a 50% protein, 55% fat and 5% carb restriction on my diet. This means I get about 141g of protein a day and I think fat and protein are too low. The carbs are WAY to high... for me. /wink

Are you working out consistently?

If you are, you should probably up your carbs a bit. Your body does need SOME carbs. Even hardcore Bodybuilders eat carbs when they are CUTTING (Although they do eat very little)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I changed my goals to 40% carbs 30%fat 30% protein. IT IS PERFECT! I don't have to try super hard to stay above or below anything...

Really really manageable. and it is great for working out a ton. i dont' ever feel hungry and I sleep GREAT!

In my opinion your carbs are too high, that would leave me sluggish and make me feel like I have to scarf down a bunch of bread to get it all in. lol
  • LPC020409
    Options
    Thanks. I think you are right. The carbs seem really high to me too. I think this website will help me tweek my diet since I'm doing more intense workouts as I lose weight and feel better.
  • LPC020409
    Options
    I think I will adjust my settings. Although I've been losing weight at a steady pace, I've been really tired the past couple of weeks. That's part of the reason I joined this site thinking that learning more about what to eat and changing up what eat has got to help.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I think I will adjust my settings. Although I've been losing weight at a steady pace, I've been really tired the past couple of weeks. That's part of the reason I joined this site thinking that learning more about what to eat and changing up what eat has got to help.

Either carbs too low or overall calories too low can both make you feel tired.
  • LPC020409
    Options
    You may be right. I wasn't tracking calories before. For breakfast I would only eat some Chobani Greak Yogurt. This week I changed that to whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana. I'm not tired all day but by 3:00 I'm ready for a nap. I'll have to adjust my lunch next. I'm just nervous about gaining again.