poop steaks, yummy!

Options
I was reading this article today and was a bit more than a little grossed out......

It's being called the "poop burger". Japanese scientists have found a way to create artificial meat from sewage containing human feces.

Somehow this feels like a Vonnegut plotline: population boom equals food shortage. Solution? Synthesize food from human waste matter. Absurd yes, but Japanese scientists have actually discovered a way to create edible steaks from human feces.

Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, has developed steaks based on proteins from human excrement. Tokyo Sewage approached the scientist because of an overabundance of sewage mud. They asked him to explore the possible uses of the sewage and Ikeda found that the mud contained a great deal of protein because of all the bacteria.

The researchers then extracted those proteins, combined them with a reaction enhancer and put it in an exploder which created the artificial steak. The “meat” is 63% proteins, 25% carbohydrates, 3% lipids and 9% minerals. The researchers color the poop meat red with food coloring and enhance the flavor with soy protein. Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.

Inhabitat notes that “the meatpacking industry causes 18 percent of our greenhouse gas emissions, mostly due to the release of methane from animals.” Livestock also consume huge amounts of resources and space in efforts to feed ourselves as well as the controversy over cruelty to animals. Ikeda’s recycled poop burger would reduce waste and emissions, not to mention obliterating Dante’s circle for gluttons.

The scientists hope to price it the same as actual meat, but at the moment the excrement steaks are ten to twenty times the price they should be thanks to the cost of research. Professor Ikeda understands the psychological barriers that need to be surmounted knowing that your food is made from human feces. They hope that once the research is complete, people will be able to overlook that ugly detail in favor of perks like environmental responsibility, cost and the fact that the meat will have fewer calories.

Waste not; want not.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/

Replies

• RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    WTH?!?

That's gross, but thanks for sharing =)
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Gross! They're still gonna be cows even if there wasn't meat factory places!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I'm all for recycling, getting back to nature, and being environmentally responsible, but this is just going a bit too far... Yuck!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think I just threw up in my mouth....bleh!!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, I can't wait to sink my teeth into a big bite of plop-roast :noway:
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    i think i'd rather eat soylent green. LOL
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    OMG that's disgusting!!!! I should not have read that as I'm about to go to lunch....Ewww!!!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That is VERY disturbing! I wouldn't eat that if I was starving to death! Just the thought of if makes me dry heave! :sick:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I would rather die of starvation. Seriously.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive been makeing burgers out of my poop for years i thought everyone did it:laugh:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    It is disgusting sounding and I realize in this instance that they are trying to get this on the market for consumption for environmental reasons..... But in some cases this "ability" may save lives during food shortages. In Haiti they actually have street vendors that sell just mud cookies for people to buy for a few cents a piece. It's amazing what you will eat when you are starving.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i think ill just stick to being vegitarian thanks , lol.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I read that article yesterday. It is very disturbing.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.

how would you like to be THAT person???:sick:
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely disgusting and repulsive. I don't think it will ever get passed experimental stages. Whose poop are they using? Do they have diseases? Does anyone think of this? It's WASTE matter. I think that says enough. I thought the post was a joke. I can't believe it's for real. WOW. Glad to be made aware of it so I can avoid it!!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Ive been makeing burgers out of my poop for years i thought everyone did it:laugh:

Nah, mine ends up more like a sausage :drinker:
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If I ever want to eat something that tastes like meat again, I will just stick with veggie burgers...

Ew.

But does this mean that they get the million dollar prize from PETA?

http://www.peta.org/features/In-Vitro-Meat-Contest.aspx
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Or we could all just shift toward a diet of veganism, reduce the amount of both methane emissions and animal waste (which is completely unregulated by the way, even there's more of it than humans waste) by drastically reducing the amount of animals farmed for food, and eat healthy vegetable based organic foods.

It astounds me that humans are so dense they'd rather eat a pile of crap than have to give up they're freaking cheeseburger. What are we, dogs?!

Did anyone hear about China making rice out of a mixture of potatoes and plastic? 1 serving was the equvalent of eating a plastic grocery bag. IDK if they are still doing it or not once they were found out.

This stuff isn't FOOD people! And neither are animals; not when its destroying the very place in which you live.