HIITn it everyday?

Options
irridia
irridia Posts: 528 Member
So, I've had quite a bit of success doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) daily, but just cardio and bodyweight (focus on legs, running up stairs) and then was doing that in addition to morining weights on a daily basis. I moved to a more intense full body lifting session 3x's week and adding more body weight stuff : dips, pushups and calf raises in addition to running stairs as hard as I can and walking uphill backwards. I do the core of my work at work during lunch. I'm diabetic so it's imperitive that I eat at lunch as well. Yesterday I really busted *kitten* to the point of wanting to puke after but choked down lunch anyway. My appetite is still mostly gone and I did NOT make my calorie goal, I was over 500 short. So I know this weekend is mostly going to be rest bc of family stuff so I really shouldn't take a complete day off.

The question is, shouild I do more moderate cardio on days after days like yesterday or continue HITTn it every day?

Any advice, experiences you care to shar e would be totally appriciated. I'm 50 and I have 60-70 lbs to go to get to goal weight.

Replies

• flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally workout very hard and also do HIIT training. Since my main focus right now is to loose weight I find it very difficult to do HIIT training more than 3 times a week. My workouts besides my HIIT training are very intese too, so I've come up with a split rest day schedule that works so my body gets optimal rest. My rest days are Wend. and Sunday, with Wend. being a moderately active day and Sunday i do no more than walk. Before I did this my body wouldn't allow the HIIT training, no matter how hard I tried or how I prepped my workout with eating, my HIIT training was an epic fail.

i guess with all that said, I'd be careful how hard you push your body. You do need to take rest days no matter what exercise you are doing. I would alternate if I were you, or do two days on one day off....also get in all those calories! That is another thing I did that made my body burn out!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I may not offer you the answer you are looking for, sorry, but wow you are hitting it hard! I am a believer in the value of HIIT, but I also get a great deal of pleasure out of long slow(er) bike rides and runs. I know HIIT is more effective, and I avail myself of its benefits, but personally I have to enjoy exercise to stick with it long term. I love long rides and runs; its not always just about the math of calories burned, but enjoying the process as well. Sounds to me like you need to mix it up some and give your muscles a break from the intense workouts. I'm not speaking as an expert, just a guy who has found what works for me. I wish you well!