Butternut Squash

Options
Jackie_W
Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
I bought one in the supermarket at the weekend, never bought one before, but I thoguht I'd give it a whirl - but...I have no idea what to do with it :noway:
Any suggestions? I'm roasting a chicken tonight, so I'd like to be able to add it if possible.
Thanks guys :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Options
    I bought one in the supermarket at the weekend, never bought one before, but I thoguht I'd give it a whirl - but...I have no idea what to do with it :noway:
    Any suggestions? I'm roasting a chicken tonight, so I'd like to be able to add it if possible.
    Thanks guys :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Microwave it or bake it--skin on--until tender. Then, I scrap it out, put on a tiny tiny bit of butter (or use a butter spray), some cinnamon, and a bit of Splenda. Great!

Basically, think of it like a sweet potato and cook it just as you would that--tastes very very similar but it has a lot less carbs! I love them and eat a couple a week.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    you want it sweet or salty??

you could bake it meat side down in a bit of water with cinnamon a nd brown sugar, or the same with onlin and garlic powder. It is the bomb.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    cut it in half like you would a grapefruit..around the middle. Bake it and put 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar....so good and still about 150 cals per half. I think I will stop and get one for dinner tonite!! Thanks for the idea!!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=butternut squash

I looove butternut squash!!
  • Kaybay37
    Options
    Oo-oo-oo, Cyber, definitely let us know how it went with the squash! I make it very similarly to what is described here. Cut in half with a bit of butter and spices, covered with foil and baked. It smells sooo good, too. A good pairing with chicken and some green beans or another veggie!
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Oooh great, thanks guys, I think I'll do the savoury one first and try the sweet one next time.
    As for sweet potatoes - never tried them either :blushing: Think I got a big learning curve coming on :happy:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Oooh great, thanks guys, I think I'll do the savoury one first and try the sweet one next time.
    As for sweet potatoes - never tried them either :blushing: Think I got a big learning curve coming on :happy:

Now, listen! YOu skip that brown sugar, you hear!! Your numbers have been too good for that--I think you will the squash 'sweet' as it is really.

As for sweet potatoes--watch them! Sometimes I can eat a tiny bit but usually it spikes my levels bad--that's why I love the butternut squash, soo--same taste but no spike!!!!!!!
  • Jackie_W
    Options

Now, listen! YOu skip that brown sugar, you hear!! Your numbers have been too good for that--I think you will the squash 'sweet' as it is really.

As for sweet potatoes--watch them! Sometimes I can eat a tiny bit but usually it spikes my levels bad--that's why I love the butternut squash, soo--same taste but no spike!!!!!!!

Thanks Shorerider, I've ignored the brown sugar, its bad no matter what colour it is, sugar is and will always be sugar!
    I've put a tiny amount of very low fat spread and cinnamon in the centre, its baking now, oooohhh I love the smell of cinnamon :love:
    Think I'll give the swet potatoes a miss, they sound like another enemy, got enough of those in donuts as it is :laugh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks Shorerider, I've ignored the brown sugar, its bad no matter what colour it is, sugar is and will always be sugar!
    I've put a tiny amount of very low fat spread and cinnamon in the centre, its baking now, oooohhh I love the smell of cinnamon :love:
    Think I'll give the swet potatoes a miss, they sound like another enemy, got enough of those in donuts as it is :laugh:

You'll love it! I'm cooking one for my dinner tonight and can't wait! DukeGirl.gif
  • shorerider
    Options
    How was it?? Did you like it?

I just made some home made butternut squash soup that was great!

I took 1 large butternut squash
    1 Apple
    1/2 a Sweet Onion
    1Tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup low-sodium Chicken Broth
    1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream

Cooked squash, apple, onion (cut up) until tender by steaming them. Then pureed in blender, and then heated it back up again for a few. Then I stirred in Cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg and some Splenda. Put the 1 tablespoon of cream on top, and YUMMY!

Very thick and hearty soup--great for cold weather. I ate 2 cups of this and how's the info on that size serving
    Squash Soup, 2 cups Calories Carbs Fat Sodium Fiber Protein
    286 55 9 203 3 4

Carbs on high but they don't make my BG spike, so I'm fine with that many but you might want to check and see how it does you. You could leave out the apple, too, that would cut back on the carbs a lot.Next time, I think I'll leave out the apple and the chicken broth. It was a recipe I got from the web that I altered but I think I'll tweak it more next time.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I think I read that you were watching your sugars due to diabetes or something similar, but I think it's so great to play around with new fruits and vegetables...just do your research first to make sure they fit into your dietary needs...I love sweet potatoes! Every time I am at the grocery store now I pick up something new from the produce section that I've never had before...I've tried mangoes, pluots, pomegranites (how do you spell that?), Italian prunes, Asian pears...it's been wonderful and I'm truly expanding my food horizons...I'd definitely try a sweet potato if I were you...just keep it in moderation and follow Shore's guidelines to keep your levels balanced!
  • speckle
    speckle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    wait whats wrong with sweet potatoes??

as for the squash, so if i bake it it will be soft enough to scoop out?
  • shorerider
    Options
    wait whats wrong with sweet potatoes??

as for the squash, so if i bake it it will be soft enough to scoop out?

If you're diabetic, sweet potatoes are not good--better than regular potatoes but still spike blood sugar.

And yes, on the squash if you bake it long enough.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    How was it?? Did you like it?

I just made some home made butternut squash soup that was great!

I took 1 large butternut squash
    1 Apple
    1/2 a Sweet Onion
    1Tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup low-sodium Chicken Broth
    1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream

Cooked squash, apple, onion (cut up) until tender by steaming them. Then pureed in blender, and then heated it back up again for a few. Then I stirred in Cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg and some Splenda. Put the 1 tablespoon of cream on top, and YUMMY!

Very thick and hearty soup--great for cold weather. I ate 2 cups of this and how's the info on that size serving
    Squash Soup, 2 cups Calories Carbs Fat Sodium Fiber Protein
    286 55 9 203 3 4

Carbs on high but they don't make my BG spike, so I'm fine with that many but you might want to check and see how it does you. You could leave out the apple, too, that would cut back on the carbs a lot.Next time, I think I'll leave out the apple and the chicken broth. It was a recipe I got from the web that I altered but I think I'll tweak it more next time.

Ooooh, I'll have to make this!!!! :bigsmile:

I baked the squash for just over an hour - adding a little low fat spread and cinnamon, and scooped it out real easy, my kids & I all enjoyed it, in fact, my youngest asked if I'd make it more often :bigsmile:

I'm watching a cookery program on daytime TV (can't believe I'm actually doing this :blushing: ), there's a great recipe for Tagliatelle with Walnuts & Parmesan - I'm going to try it out tonight, I'll post it under recipes once I've worked out the nutritional values :bigsmile:
  • shorerider
    Options

Ooooh, I'll have to make this!!!! :bigsmile:

I baked the squash for just over an hour - adding a little low fat spread and cinnamon, and scooped it out real easy, my kids & I all enjoyed it, in fact, my youngest asked if I'd make it more often :bigsmile:

I'm watching a cookery program on daytime TV (can't believe I'm actually doing this :blushing: ), there's a great recipe for Tagliatelle with Walnuts & Parmesan - I'm going to try it out tonight, I'll post it under recipes once I've worked out the nutritional values :bigsmile:

Wow! Kids eating squash AND liking it! How cool it that!
  • lmwardx
    lmwardx Posts: 74
    Options
    I cut mine in half and cut all the hard parts off. I get a casrole dish and put in these:

butternut squash
    onions
    whole garlic
    sometime red potatoes
    mushroom
    carrots
    drizzle olive oil on to sprinkle w/ salk and pepper bake at 400 for 45 min and yum!! you can use anything really and i like to do this when i have fish and need to use up items in the house before they go bad.!
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    Butternut Squash soup is my fav!!!!