Too much sleep or a lack of sleep = weight gain

Options
For the past week or so, I have gained like 4 1/2 pounds. I know that most of this is water weight but thanks to the link below, I know that some of it can be due to my lack of sleep. I've only been getting like 5 hours of sleep here lately. This is partly because I do my running @ night while it is kinda cooler & I end up getting all keyed up & can't sleep.

If you have either been sleeping too much or like me & NOT enough, check out the link below:

http://www.tree.com/health/sleep-disorders-effects-weight-gain.aspx

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try running early in the morning before you get ready for work instead of at night. I agree about the not getting enough sleep because it doesn't give your body enough time to digest the food from the day or for your metabolism to "catch up".
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Really interesting article thanks for post
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I try and keep my sleep between 7-8 hours a night. I'm okay with 6 for a night or two, but then I get grumpy and out of sorts. When I was heavier, I used to sleep for 10 hours a night. Now, I don't like to sleep that much - I always end up with a headache the next day if I sleep too much.

I run at night, but I work second shift and therefore live a second shift lifestyle. Running, working out, etc in the morning isn't an option for me. lol.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I basically get 6 hrs of sleep each night...........now I have to read the link and see if I can talk myself into going to bed earlier. ;)
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Huh! I wonder if this is part of my problem. My daughter's been waking me up @ night and we've had some storms that have woken me up and I swear I feel like I haven't slept well in 2 weeks. And my weight loss has stalled too. There are some dietary improvements I could be making but I wonder if the sleeplessness isn't helping...