HRM calorie burn???

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I want a HRM so I can be more accurate. Not sure what you should do but I would be a little irritated if I bought one and still felt I couldnt trust it. Whats the brand? I dont even know how to work one....

Sorry I wasnt much help but I just wanted to comment because I'm looking into getting one and its sad to see it cant be trusted,

My parent's both have Polar and love them, my mom has an FT7 which is why i'm getting one. They are both in really great shape and my dad counts calories and says the Polar is very accurate
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    No answer here but what kind of HRM do you have?

Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch

Yea thats your issue right there. That TImex HRM only lets you enter weight.... and nothing else like age, height or gender. So to that HRM your a male that weighs X amount of pounds, is X height and X age... or in other words, not accurate at all!

I had the HRM and wound up returning it for a Polar FT7 because of the simple factor that you couldn't enter any personal data besides weight. I highly suggest that you do the same and don't eat all of those exercise calories back.
    Not true. I have a similar timex and you enter your weight AND your maximum heart rate (roughly 220-age). When I compare the calories burned per my HRM to online sites like the one I mentioned above they are within 50 calories of each other so I log the lower one.

The problem with ALL heart rate monitors is they do not subtract the number of calories you would have burned anyway without exercising. You need to manually do the math.

Doesn't MFP calculate that into your net calories allotted per day already?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No answer here but what kind of HRM do you have?

Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch

Yea thats your issue right there. That TImex HRM only lets you enter weight.... and nothing else like age, height or gender. So to that HRM your a male that weighs X amount of pounds, is X height and X age... or in other words, not accurate at all!

I had the HRM and wound up returning it for a Polar FT7 because of the simple factor that you couldn't enter any personal data besides weight. I highly suggest that you do the same and don't eat all of those exercise calories back.
    Not true. I have a similar timex and you enter your weight AND your maximum heart rate (roughly 220-age). When I compare the calories burned per my HRM to online sites like the one I mentioned above they are within 50 calories of each other so I log the lower one.

The problem with ALL heart rate monitors is they do not subtract the number of calories you would have burned anyway without exercising. You need to manually do the math.

weight and max heart rate are just a part of this. You also missed the part that I had this HRM, and was told by a certified personal trainer that it was not accurate.. and I'm sorry but I trust the personal trainer over you.

A male and female will burn different amount of calories. Just like someone who is 50 yrs old vs someone who is 20 years old will burn different amounts and someone who is 5'8 is going to burn a different amount then someone who is 5 ft tall. Also someone who is 300 pounds is going to burn a whole heck of a lot more calories then 160 pound me.

All those variations is why you get an HRM in a first place.. so that is calculated to you specifically.

Also go do a board search on HRM's.. you'll find that I'm not the only one saying this. Everyone who gives HRM recommendations say that you need to be able to enter height, weight, age, gender and VO2 Max(if your HRM allows for that)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    whats a body bug?

Body bug is an arm band that you wear all day long and it tells you things like heart rate and calorie burn. I want to say its around 200 dollars plus a monthly fee to use it.
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    whats a body bug?

Body bug is an arm band that you wear all day long and it tells you things like heart rate and calorie burn. I want to say its around 200 dollars plus a monthly fee to use it.

They have a bundle for $233 right now where you get the arm strap, the digital wrist display, and 12 months online. I wish I could get that!!! Money is a bit tight right now cause I have 3 kids with bir:ohwell: thdays between May and July
  • sallen67
    sallen67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They cost a bit more, but I really like the Garmin 310xt, it will calculate speed, time, calories all the goodies, has a customizable display, is uploadable to your computer and numerous fitness sites.
    It has attachments for your bike to do pedaling cadence, and speed based on both gps location and the standard magnet sensors that count wheel revolution, as well as power meter readings from your bike and will even sync up with the Tanita body composition scale. They also make a foot pod so it can calculate running in locations where you may not be able to get a gps signal such as indoors.
    So the watch can record all of that data and then you can look at it on your computer track previous workouts compare the values etc. The 310xt is even waterproof so you can use it in the water as well. I have heard mixed reviews on how well it functions in the water, but the benefit is being able to start the timer and not have to worry about it if you transition to bike or run as you would in a triathlon.

Polar also has a model that I believe has all of those features as well, but I'm not as familiar with their products.

Scott
  • beach_chelle
    beach_chelle Posts: 221
    Options
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

This is a pretty good calculator that I found when I felt my hrm was not accurate.