Recovering From Injury

Options
Hello all. I have been on the site a few weeks but went on vacation (you know how that goes). I am finance processional but also used to compete in martial arts fighting (similar to mma) but hurt my shoulder last December and have put on about 15 lbs. I am here to drop about 18 and get in great shape again the right way. I am single (Girlfriend) live in Dallas TX and work often and am also a busy father. I am committed to doing this the right and have learned that having a social network really helps the process. So I am here looking to meet like minded friends and encourage others as well.

I lift weights 3-4 times a week but am also starting a 2 day a week boot camp next week to help shed some calories. My other challenge has been cutting out the alcohol during the week. I am no alcoholic but I do enjoy a drink or 2 at the end of the night to cut the edge of a usual stressful day. I have done it but not liking it!!! LOL

Let me hear from you!!

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also a post-injury athlete and can identify. Not only do we need to heal our injuries, but we have to deal with not having the same fitness level that we are used to.

You are in the right place and with great company!

I have to admit I like my glass of wine most evenings. As long as it is within the calorie budget, I say it's OK. I think when you get closer to your goal weight, then you need to refine what you consume and the alcoholic drinks are good to minimize. :-)
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    I always count it as part of my caloris intake but after doing a lot of homework I found that alcohol will slow your metabolism. It slows all functions of the body...unfortunately the metabolism as well. Further our body converts the mojority of the alcohol to sugar.

I am waiting for friday so I can have a glass of wine. I allow myself a drink or two over the weekends!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm here for similar reasons - to try to get back to my former fitness level (or better) after several injuries and health issues kept me pretty sedentary over the last year. I'm not and athlete, just a normally very active person who isn't used to sitting around. Feel free to friend me.