MFP Cycling Gang 10/06

Options
Now that the weather is cooling off I don't know what that does to everyone's cycling routines. Seeing that this is my first fall as a rider and I live in the South, I am looking forward to some cooler rides! I am heading out right now to hopefully get in 20 mile. I am going to attempt a hill that I tried twice on my hybrid and ended up "cross training" on. I am hoping that on the new wheels I have better luck! I will let you know!

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Now that the weather is cooling off I don't know what that does to everyone's cycling routines. Seeing that this is my first fall as a rider and I live in the South, I am looking forward to some cooler rides! I am heading out right now to hopefully get in 20 mile. I am going to attempt a hill that I tried twice on my hybrid and ended up "cross training" on. I am hoping that on the new wheels I have better luck! I will let you know!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to ride in 4 days! But I'm heading out now as soon as I catch up on stuff here. I love the cool weather--I feel like i can ride forever!

Had my stress test and echocardiogram, etc. this morning--just a precaution given my family history and amount of exercise I've been doing. But the doc said my heart looked very healthy! he was actually surprised it looked as good as it did, given that I had asthma for years, have been overweight forever, and am diabetic! Good news all around though! I got a good report from the eye doc last week, too! :happy:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Well I conquered my hill!!!!!!!!!:drinker: Yeah ME!!:drinker: :bigsmile:

I rode 20 miles, very hilly terrain...in fact one of my least favorite routes b/c of that, but if I want to be a better rider I have to push myself. Even with the hills I managed an avg of 13.6. It would have been like 10.2 on my hybrid and I would have crossed trained the enormous hill at the end!!!! So I am happy with that for today. I feel like it was a BIG accomplishment. Wow, I love my new bike!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I did a cycle class this morning. I'll be back on the trails tomorrow. I ride at 5:30 in the morning, so the dark is really a tough thing to get used to. I had to resort to lights last week, and I think I'm going to have to bring out my jacket tomorrow. Oh well, I'm lucky that I live somewhere that the weather allows me to ride outside year round.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Way to go Bamboo! Doesn't the Trek feel just great!

I got in 30 miles today and felt wonderful! Strong, legs felt great. Averaged 16.4 mph.
  • dothompson
    Options
    Okay, I am a devoted Mountain Biker, but I'm starting to have road bike envy.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

Well Dot, I must say that I LOVED my Trek hybrid. I loved it even though my husband said that nothing could compare to a road bike. As I was riding my new road bike today, I thought "you couldn't pay me money to get back on that hybrid"! Good thing I made a trade!!!
  • shorerider
    Options

Well Dot, I must say that I LOVED my Trek hybrid. I loved it even though my husband said that nothing could compare to a road bike. As I was riding my new road bike today, I thought "you couldn't pay me money to get back on that hybrid"! Good thing I made a trade!!!

LOL--yep! I feel the same way. But I kept mine because we did enjoy the rails-to-trails ride we did and want to do more. And, it wouldn't be great on a road bike. We're hoping to break away to go to one up in PA soon.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Well I got in 14 miles today. It was windy and rain is coming. We need it, but that means no riding tomorrow. Guess I will go to spin class in the morning instead. Hope everyone else is having a good day.:smile:
  • dothompson
    Options

LOL--yep! I feel the same way. But I kept mine because we did enjoy the rails-to-trails ride we did and want to do more. And, it wouldn't be great on a road bike. We're hoping to break away to go to one up in PA soon.

I love my mountain bike and love to get off road, out in nature and bang around in the rocks, and gullies, but that's like hiking, I'm not worried about speed, I'm just enjoying God's splendor. On those occations that I do a road ride on my mountain bike it's long and slow going, and speed counts. I'm with Shore, I need both.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I got in 19 miles this afternoon--62 degrees. BRRRR-
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    It is raining to no outdoor riding for me so instead I decided to do a spin class. It has been a while since doing one and I really had only gone to the beginner class before so I figured I could hang with the big dogs! Well I did hang with the big dogs, but dang did I work up a sweat. My HRM says I burned 600 calories in 55 minutes!

When I ride my bike outside, alone, I slow down when I get tired. In a class...not so much b/c I don't want to be the bozo that can't do what everyone else is doing. I guess that is the reason I have such a love/hate relationship with exercise classes. I hate them b/c I work so dang hard and I love them b/c I work so dang hard.

I'm tired. My legs are aching. I think tomorrow my goal is to really push myself on my road bike like I did today in spin class...and see what happens.
  • shorerider
    Options
    It is raining to no outdoor riding for me so instead I decided to do a spin class. It has been a while since doing one and I really had only gone to the beginner class before so I figured I could hang with the big dogs! Well I did hang with the big dogs, but dang did I work up a sweat. My HRM says I burned 600 calories in 55 minutes!

When I ride my bike outside, alone, I slow down when I get tired. In a class...not so much b/c I don't want to be the bozo that can't do what everyone else is doing. I guess that is the reason I have such a love/hate relationship with exercise classes. I hate them b/c I work so dang hard and I love them b/c I work so dang hard.

I'm tired. My legs are aching. I think tomorrow my goal is to really push myself on my road bike like I did today in spin class...and see what happens.

Good job! No ride for me today--working on stuff here on the computer and getting ready for meeting later this evening, so I'm grounded today. But, tomorrow is supposed to be 70 and light winds!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Finally got a ride in today--28 miles--but it's windy here again and is supposed to be windy again tomorrow. I HATE the wind!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Well I tackled my hill from hades again today. I did 16 miles of hilly terrain in just over an hour. I was quite proud of myself.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Well I tackled my hill from hades again today. I did 16 miles of hilly terrain in just over an hour. I was quite proud of myself.

That's awesome! I'm lucky--we have no hills here, flat, flat, flat. But it's almost always wind of some sort.
  • dothompson
    Options

That's awesome! I'm lucky--we have no hills here, flat, flat, flat. But it's almost always wind of some sort.

You're lucky, we have a lot of hills here. It is almost impossible to find a flat ride, but then again I burn more on hills. We must not have much wind, as I never pay any attention to it and certainly don't hear about it in a weather report. I guess the hills divert the wind???
  • shorerider
    Options
    You're lucky, we have a lot of hills here. It is almost impossible to find a flat ride, but then again I burn more on hills. We must not have much wind, as I never pay any attention to it and certainly don't hear about it in a weather report. I guess the hills divert the wind???

I think I'd rather have hills than winds--at least you could plan a route to avoid some of the hills, right? Around here, the wind seems to always be blowing at least 5mph on a "calm day" but more often it's closer to 8-10mph average and up. Today, it was out of the NE at 17mph. I try to plan a route to avoid it but the way it hits up against tree lines and gets "blown back", or cuts across the fields, it seems to always be messing with me.
  • shorerider
    Options
    got in 22 miles this morning--still windy :grumble:

how'd everyone else do?
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Didn't ride today. I went to body pump and then the Auburn University football game so my day was shot from that. Hope to get a ride in tomorrow!