HCG DIET -Fact or Fiction?!?!

Options
Has anyone here heard or done this HCG Diet? It kinda sounds too good to be true. I want to try it, Im willing to do anything to help lose this weight, but Im skeptical. I saw all the youtube videos and watch Dr. Oz's Review but I would like to hear from "REAL" people.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    People will tell you it works, and that it's worked for them... but the truth is that there are not enough studies to prove the long term effects of using the HCG and following the protocol... Not a risk I would want to take.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    From the thread on this topic the other day.... as a general rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. End of the day a healthy diet complete with portion control and excersise is still the best method to weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/269793-you-have-got-to-be-kidding
  • palbiniak
    palbiniak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have two friends who did it and both said it works like a charm. What makes me nervous about is that it's based on hormones and I've had blood clots in the past so I feel I need to be careful with stuff like that. I would consult my doctor before trying it.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    My sister-in-law did this diet. The only problem is, its a fad, and a quick fix, and you should stay away from things like that. It doesn't teach you to eat healthier, so once you are off the diet, usually the weight piles right back on, and that's hard on your body. I always tell people not to do anything that they aren't willing to do for the rest of their lives- because that is the only way that you are going to keep the weight off. You can do this yourself, it just takes perseverance :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat 2,000+ calories a day, feel no hunger pains, sleep well at night, and eat things I enjoy. I've lost 40lbs (wasn't very big to begin with) and am currently working on the last few vanity pounds, while toning.

If you can lose 40lbs eating 2000 calories a day (netting anywhere from 1500-1700) eat things you enjoy, and look & feel years younger, WHY would you take an injection & subject yourself to only eating 500 calories per day to achieve the same result.

You tell me which sounds more reasonable.

I may take 1 year to get my weight off as opposed to someone doing HCG and losing the same amount in 3 months, HOWEVER, 5 years from now, I'll still be slim & trim, and chances are the HCG follower has packed on the lost pounds ...then some.

There are no quick fixes. If it is a quick fix, it's temporary.

Do it the right way.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I had two co-workers who did it. One made it the entire time and the other dropped off after about 2 weeks. Both lost some weight but they both said that they just couldn't ever do that to their bodies again. You only get 500 calories per day and it's very specific what you have to eat. I'm pretty sure they've both gained back the weight they lost now, but I'm not sure, I don't work there anymore.
  • Kimdbro
    Options
    My sister-in-law did this diet. The only problem is, its a fad, and a quick fix, and you should stay away from things like that. It doesn't teach you to eat healthier, so once you are off the diet, usually the weight piles right back on, and that's hard on your body. I always tell people not to do anything that they aren't willing to do for the rest of their lives- because that is the only way that you are going to keep the weight off. You can do this yourself, it just takes perseverance :)

Absolutely perfect response!
  • kat2686
    kat2686 Posts: 1
    Options
    Its real.... I've had more then one friend use it and have success. You can loose about a pound a day. But when you're only eating 500 calories a day, anyone can ( the drops are to give you energy and help hunger )... Apparently there are steps that you can take to not gain the weight back and its about a 4 month FULL cir process. I understand everyone wanting a quick fix or a "magic drop" ( trust me i WISH ) . If you have 10 or 15 pounds to shed i would maybe say this might be for you. But the only way to loose weight and keep it off is the old fashioned eat right, exercise, and change your lifestyle habits.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Here's a few things to consider: Yes, you'll lose the weight fast, but...There are the drops which are about $60 a month or you take the injections which are several hundred dollars a month...so consider the monetary cost....How much do you like food? Because the plans are either an 800 calorie or 500 calorie a day plan...What you mostly need to consider is are you really going to continue eating less than 500-800 calories a day once you're finished taking the drops or injections? If not, you've just wasted a whole lot of time and money. I think it's the dumbest thing someone can do to themselves. You need to educate yourself in proper nutrition because this HCG is just another fad diet and as surely as you'll lose the weight, I can guarantee you you'll put it right back on. Whatever your decision may be, I wish you the best of luck!
  • chiroGirl77
    Options
    I know people who have done it. You can only eat 500 calories a day and follow a strict protocol by Dr. Simeons. The diet has been around a long time and has shown to work. I saw the people lose the weight at 1 lb. per day and one I know lost 22 lbs in one month and the other was 30lbs. They did not work out and just strictly followed the protocol. They also kept the weight off. You have to be careful with the supplement though because you really don't know how much HCG is in it. If you are going to go to a Bariatric Center and have it medically supervised then it is probably not bad. If you are going to do it on your own.... not sure if I would recommend that. First, you should probably read the entire protocol called pounds and inches before you even decide. http://www.hcgclinicusa.com/affiliates/download/PoundsAndInches.pdf
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HCG is essentially social acceptable anorexia. You can only consume 500 calories per day and you use the "HCG" to make you not feel hungry. I had a roommate that did it and she was irritable, depressed, and tired the whole time she was on it. It was awful! That's what starving yourself does. You'll lose weight fast, but only to a certain point when your body can't handle the starvation anymore. A good rule of thumb is however fast it goes off it will usually come back on. I implore you NOT to do this diet! It wasn't even on the top 20 successful diets in US News (http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets)

Don't starve yourself. If you're willing to limit yourself to 500 calories (which is ridiculous, it's the calories of 1 meal for the whole day) then a safe limit from MFP should be no problem, and if you follow it strictly you will lose weight. Plus it's FREE!

My Fitness Pal will give you lasting results the right way. Besides, they get the hormone by extracting it from pregnant women's pee. Yep, you're essentially putting the bi-product of urine in your body. My friend and I nick-named it the HCPee diet. (http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/02/health/he-nutrition2)

It IS too good to be true. It sucks.
  • Dance2323
    Dance2323 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I just started HCG shots and diet 9 days ago. I have lost six pounds so far. I'm only eating 500 calories a day and it isn't easy. I also joined gym and hired a trainer. Im working out five days a week for three weeks now. The shots are painless and I can see a small increase in energy level but I will tell you that the first three days will make you feel awful. I thought I was starving. It is very important not to stray from diet meals or you won't lose weight as fast. Good luck if you decide to try. I'm gonna hang in there as ling as possible!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    HCG is essentially social acceptable anorexia.

Finally, someone said it.

I don't care how many hormones it messes with...when you are eating next to nothing, you are starving yourself. Anorexia is a mental disorder...and I seriously HONESTLY wonder if people on long term HCG diets are pushing themselves towards this kind of mental disorder? Give it 5-10 years and there's sure to be at least one study that says so.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I eat 2,000+ calories a day, feel no hunger pains, sleep well at night, and eat things I enjoy. I've lost 40lbs (wasn't very big to begin with) and am currently working on the last few vanity pounds, while toning.

If you can lose 40lbs eating 2000 calories a day (netting anywhere from 1500-1700) eat things you enjoy, and look & feel years younger, WHY would you take an injection & subject yourself to only eating 500 calories per day to achieve the same result.

You tell me which sounds more reasonable.

I may take 1 year to get my weight off as opposed to someone doing HCG and losing the same amount in 3 months, HOWEVER, 5 years from now, I'll still be slim & trim, and chances are the HCG follower has packed on the lost pounds ...then some.

There are no quick fixes. If it is a quick fix, it's temporary.

Do it the right way.

YES!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Hi. I just started HCG shots and diet 9 days ago. I have lost six pounds so far. I'm only eating 500 calories a day and it isn't easy. I also joined gym and hired a trainer. Im working out five days a week for three weeks now. The shots are painless and I can see a small increase in energy level but I will tell you that the first three days will make you feel awful. I thought I was starving. It is very important not to stray from diet meals or you won't lose weight as fast. Good luck if you decide to try. I'm gonna hang in there as ling as possible!!

I'm not trying to argue, but I feel very passionate about this....How does that not freak the hell out of you? SIX pounds in NINE days??? A healthy weight loss is that of 2 lbs a week! I hope you're educating and living healthy eating practices because unless you plan on doing this HCG forever, you're going to fail. You're losing weight all for the sake of vanity, not health. Sure, a certain part of weight loss is vain, but health should be your number one concern. Best of luck.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to argue, but I feel very passionate about this....How does that not freak the hell out of you? SIX pounds in NINE days??? A healthy weight loss is that of 2 lbs a week! I hope you're educating and living healthy eating practices because unless you plan on doing this HCG forever, you're going to fail. You're losing weight all for the sake of vanity, not health. Sure, a certain part of weight loss is vain, but health should be your number one concern. Best of luck.

Also remember that with such an enormous loss so quickly...and because you are just not eating enough food...you are losing more than body fat. Why would you want to flush the muscle out of your body???
  • Kimdbro
    Options
    HCG is essentially social acceptable anorexia.

Finally, someone said it.

I don't care how many hormones it messes with...when you are eating next to nothing, you are starving yourself. Anorexia is a mental disorder...and I seriously HONESTLY wonder if people on long term HCG diets are pushing themselves towards this kind of mental disorder? Give it 5-10 years and there's sure to be at least one study that says so.

Exaclty, it will be one of those things Nutritionalists and Doctors implore people not to do, that it causes irreversable damage.... class action suits etc will follow.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    ANYBODY can lose weight eating only 500 calories a day (which you must do with the drops)....it takes a crazy person to pay for the drops when you are already starving yourself (on 500 cal) a day!!!! As with everything....quick fix and then more pounds added back!!
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My roommate, who is a nutritionist, actually did a presentation on this diet and how ridiculous it is. First of all, anyone could lose weight eating 500 calories a day, but it's not safe and it's not healthy. She actually took diet approved food from our apartment to visually demonstrate how much food you could actually eat per day. All of it fit into one small Tupperware container. According to the diet, you can only have tea or coffee for breakfast, 100g of meat, one vegetable, one fruit, and one piece of Melba toast per day. Even then the types of vegetables and fruits you are allowed are limited.

Second, there is no real evidence that the hcg hormone actually does anything to "help" you lose weight. The purpose of hcg is to nourish the fertilized egg during pregnancy and help the body start secreting a hormone called progesterone, which makes the lining of the uterus thick enough for the egg. It also can be used as a fertility treatment. The claims made by Simeons about it helping lose fat vs. lean muscle were only based on one experience, with no real clinical testing done to confirm his findings.

I'm not saying you won't lose weight on this diet. You most likely will. What I am saying is it's dangerous to eat so little. Your body needs fuel to function and you would be depriving your body of that. Not to mention the cost of the shots. There are so many healthier (and less expensive!) ways to diet, that will stay off once you resume eating a normal, healthy amount of calories.
  • jessika_lynn72
    Options
    Has anyone here heard or done this HCG Diet? It kinda sounds too good to be true. I want to try it, Im willing to do anything to help lose this weight, but Im skeptical. I saw all the youtube videos and watch Dr. Oz's Review but I would like to hear from "REAL" people.

It is REAL I have done it, and lost an everage of 1.5 pounds A DAY. yes, a day. I gained it all back when I went off of it because I am a full time student and it was finals week, and well, I'm a stress eater, BIG TIME. It really does work and it is amazing, you just have to be disciplined. Unlike I was. If I would have stuck with it for as long as I should have, I would have lost at least 25+ pounds. It is the coolest thing since sliced bread I would say ;) lol