Should you say something if an outfit doesnt flatter?

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
my wife and i started our weight loss journey together at the start of the year. We've both lost lots of weight and whilst there is still a little way to go i think she is looking hotter than ever... So today she way trying on a skirt which she delibrately bought in a tight fit and it didnt look great. In a month or so im sure it will look fantastic but not quite yet.

I said what i thought, because i know she likes to look good when we go out- but i know it upset her. Did i do the right thing?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you said it in a gentle way. I'm sure once she gets over the frustration of it not fitting properly she will be happy that you told her the truth and didn't let her leave the house looking bad.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    NO. NO NO NO NO NO.
  • Lisabackontrack
    Options
    I'm all for being honest. I think you did the right thing as long as you were kind and gentle in telling her. I know I appreciate it when my husband is honest with me about things like that. Ladies like to look their best and I'm sure she appreciated your honesty even though it likely stung a bit. Just make sure you tell her how beautiful you think she is too! :smile:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    YES! I'd much rather my my husband tell me at HOME that my shirt doesn't fit just yet, instead of going out in public and others saying it behind my back!
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    I think you did the right thing. If you can't be honest with those you love what's the point of spending time together. Partners or friends need that honesty cause I would not want to go out in public if something really didn't look good on me, and I wouldn't want to over hear a stranger commenting.
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    I think you did.
  • sam1320
    sam1320 Posts: 24
    Options
    i could NEVER tell anyone else that they look bad, i just dont have the guts to do it, its probably awful of me, i just get to nervous about thier feelings
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ... yes and no... a girl needs ONE and i repeat ONE person that will be bluntly honest with them... if it's you for your wife then you did the right thing it also depends on how you tell her... my fiance will be like "baby i like this shirt/dress/pants on you better" my SIL my one bluntly honest person will be like "you look like a skank. now go change your shirt" lol.
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    You did the right thing. I would want my husband to tell me if something doesn't look good on me and he has. We don't want to go out and look horrible! My husband has been very supportive through my weight loss and he thinks I look good even though I have more to lose and still will tell me if it's not okay to wear something. I like his honestly even though it does hurt a little!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am going with the no camp. Let her girlfriend be the bad guys. You need to be that one person who find her beautiful, no matter what.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Thanks guys... Except we weren't going out- she was just trying it on. Plan is to wear it for a party in a few weeks (she likes to plan ahead)... I guess its the same????
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    I am going with the no camp. Let her girlfriend be the bad guys. You need to be that one person who find her beautiful, no matter what.

In my defence she doesnt really have 'that' girlfriend.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You absolutely did the right thing. Just imagine if she had worn it out of the house and someone else commented on how it was too tight... you would've been in even more trouble for not having told her yourself. I was a retail *kitten* for many, many years and always told customers the brutal truth about the clothes they tried on, even if it meant not making a sale. I had numerous customers that would only shop when I was working because they knew they'd walk out with great outfits that looked great on them.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It may fit in a few weeks...

Personally, I'm all for the honesty, as long as it is conveyed in a kind way.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bro - you are really tempting fate.
    Commenting on newly purchased clothes is very dangerous.

If your wife had just gone out and bought the skirt then she obviously thinks it looks great on her.

If you really wanted to let her know i would have tried to tell her in a way that doesnt intimate that it looks bad. Perhaps somehing like: "hey thats a really nice skirt. Good one. It will look even better on you as you lose more weight"

BTW remember if a girl EVER asks you "am I fat ?" The answer is "no. no way".
    Its just easier.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope my husband would tell me if I looked like crap in something! And I think any woman of marrying age should be strong enough to hear the truth.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Bro - you are really tempting fate.
    Commenting on newly purchased clothes is very dangerous.

If your wife had just gone out and bought the skirt then she obviously thinks it looks great on her.

If you really wanted to let her know i would have tried to tell her in a way that doesnt intimate that it looks bad. Perhaps somehing like: "hey thats a really nice skirt. Good one. It will look even better on you as you lose more weight"

BTW remember if a girl EVER asks you "am I fat ?" The answer is "no. no way".
    Its just easier.

Sigh... If only it were that easy: e-bay purchase. Plus I believe in honesty: there is a massive difference between "that doesnt flatter you" and "you dont look good". I repeat: she look great imho!
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am firmly in the yes camp. I beg my husband to be honest with me and not beat around the bush. I would much rather him tell me the truth than be the "you look beautiful no matter what" and let others talk behind my back. I don't think his telling me an outfit doesn't look good is him not thinking I am beautiful. I think it's him loving me no matter and helping me to look my best.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    You can probably tell im feeling a bit defensive on this... LOL. im sure she is well over it :)
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Tell her :) you already said you think it'd look better if she lost some more weight, which she might by then, and if she hasn't she can save it for the next event :)