I need opinions!

Options
chicpower1
chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
Tomorrow is my granny's 83'rd birthday and she is coming over for lunch. I am cooking her a nice meal, something she can't get at the dining hall in her retirement home, and something "not too heavy" since she tends to eat less at lunch and will be having birthday cake afterwards. I also need something that doesn't need to be cut up (because she has severe arthritis and has difficulty using a fork and knife), something not spicy (acid reflux) something without seeds (diverticulitis), without chocolate (beginning Alzheimer's). Because I cannot plan the time they are going to be here--and will have little notice to fix the dinner (YES, this is difficult. LOL!) AND I have a baby and a 5 year old I've planned :
A fresh house salad (all bits finely cut to make it easy for granny)
Chicken Gonnachi soup in my pressure cooker. Takes 6 minutes to cook. Quick and easy since I'll only have 30 minute's notice.
Homemade cheddar cheese biscuits (just like the one's at Jim and Nick's BBQ)

Does that sound like a "proper" meal? I know granny will love it, I'm just not sure if I should consider another dish or if this would make a nice, southern lunch. Should there be another vegetable?

I want this to be a spectacular meal and memory for her. I'm breaking out the fine china, nice tablecloth, the whole works.
Thanks!

Replies

• Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think yr Granny will love it and remember this day forever and ever !
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    It sounds perfectly fine to me, and if it's something Granny will love, then that's even better! Don't wear yourself down!
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That sounds fantastic! I'm sure granny will love it!
  • hlm0527
    hlm0527 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great not to heavy lunch! Soup, salad and bread... perfect combo in my book.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Hmmm..it's a 14 hour drive to TN from Ontario, but I think I can make it for lunch! Sounds like a great menu. Enjoy your day!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Food cooked with love will melt her heart, sounds like a great meal (I fine cut salad for my elderly mother)
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If she were my granny, I'd make her tacos or burittos. :)
  • LMD1212
    LMD1212 Posts: 2
    Options
    Happy Birthday to your grandma! I'm sure she will love it. Try not to stress to much about it. No matter what you make, I'm sure that being able to spend time with you will be greatest part of the day for her and you.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've thought the day out well. You've considered every aspect/criteria to meet her needs while still giving her yummy food. Well done. Have a wonderful day.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Sounds wonderful (the meal and the memories created). do you think she'd like 7-up (or something like it) with some mint sprigs and raspberries in it? All finely chopped of course.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It certainly show's how much you love your grandmother and you should not second guess what you obivously thought over alot. Most importantly, enjoy your time together on this special day. What you made will not be that important when your reminising back on this day in the future. Enjoy.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I'm just a little nervous. I've never cooked until recently and am not always sure what's a "proper full meal" and what's not. LOL. This soup should taste delicious but will be super simple.