Tabata and HIIT

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
I've seen websites that describe both Tabata and HIIT nearly the same way.

So, what exactly is the difference between the two? Which one is more intense, and which one is a longer workout?

My plan is to do 4 days a week of weight training using either EDT or a purely traditional 4-way split routine (I will use both, because I change routines every couple of months anyway). I will be doing the weight training when I am on my way home from work. I plan on doing cardio when I wake up. On the days that I am doing weights and cardio, I will do something like Turbo Kick or an Insanity workout...but on the days that would be cardio only, I was thinking of doing either Tabata or HIIT...just not sure which would be best? (Oh, and I will only be working out 5 days per week and the 2 rest days are NOT consecutive.)

My goal right now is to cut body fat. I want to be super lean, around 12% body fat. Don't really care what I weigh as long as I am lean and muscular, lol.

Do you have any recommendations for Tabata? For HIIT, I was planning on hitting a treadmill for sprints, about 15 minutes of intervals total. What would your suggestion be?

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    From my understanding Tabata is ALL OUT effort meaning you should only be able to last 4 - 6 minutes. Where as HIIT is 80-90% effort for a total of 15 - 20 minutes.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    Tabata is a type of HIIT. The actual workout time with a Tabata style interval is only 4 minutes. Add 4 minutes before to warm up and 2-3 afterward to cool-down and you are talking a total of 10-11 minutes. Don't let that fool you though. If you do Tabata right that is 8 cycles of 20 seconds full effort then 10 seconds of rest, you will be exhausted afterward. Every person I have see who does multiple Tabata sets is doing it wrong. To do it right you need an exercise that uses several muscle groups like burpees, squat thrusts, thrusters, and the like.

HIIT is basically the same idea doing all out effort during the work portion and resting (sometimes active very reduced exertion rest) for various time intervals, but usually not the negative rest of Tabata, say doing 30 seconds on with a minute rest or 30 on 30 off. The time one does them is longer, but those longer rest periods account for much of that. Which is preferable, I don't know. I do both, although since my knee injury I have not done Tabatas since they are very demanding physically, I find more so than other HIIT routines.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Bump. because I dont have a clue what either one of these are
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Tabata is a type of HIIT. The actual workout time with a Tabata style interval is only 4 minutes. Add 4 minutes before to warm up and 2-3 afterward to cool-down and you are talking a total of 10-11 minutes. Don't let that fool you though. If you do Tabata right that is 8 cycles of 20 seconds full effort then 10 seconds of rest, you will be exhausted afterward. Every person I have see who does multiple Tabata sets is doing it wrong. To do it right you need an exercise that uses several muscle groups like burpees, squat thrusts, thrusters, and the like.

HIIT is basically the same idea doing all out effort during the work portion and resting (sometimes active very reduced exertion rest) for various time intervals, but usually not the negative rest of Tabata, say doing 30 seconds on with a minute rest or 30 on 30 off. The time one does them is longer, but those longer rest periods account for much of that. Which is preferable, I don't know. I do both, although since my knee injury I have not done Tabatas since they are very demanding physically, I find more so than other HIIT routines.

So are you saying that with Tabata the intervals in between the work intervals you do basically nothing? I am used to HIIT sprints where I run full out for like 20 seconds and then jog for 40 seconds and repeat. With Tabata do you work really hard for 20 seconds and then instead of doing something slower you get to just stand there for your rest (or move back and forth or something, cause you don't want to completely stop)?

I like the idea of doing the Tabata with burpees, though. Maybe one day I will do HIIT sprints and then another day I will do Tabata burpees.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Tabata is one of the most misused terms in the fitness industry. You'd do best to just ignore it and focus on putting together some HIT workouts (although I would exercise caution with trying to do both intensive resistance training and a high volume of HIT).

Basically, there is no such thing as true "tabata" training--it's all just different forms of HIT.

Lyle McDonald does a better job of explaining the subject than I ever could:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-moderate-intensity-endurance-and-high-intensity-intermittent-training-on-anaerobic-capacity-and-vo2-max.html
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Tabata is a type of HIIT> Tabata, however, emphasizes the 20/10 interval in 8 cycles. 20 seconds all out effort with 10 seconds of recovery. This is the combination that Isumi Tabata came up with to get max Vo2 which is suppose to be peak fat burning.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Tabata is one of the most misused terms in the fitness industry. You'd do best to just ignore it and focus on putting together some HIT workouts (although I would exercise caution with trying to do both intensive resistance training and a high volume of HIT).

Basically, there is no such thing as true "tabata" training--it's all just different forms of HIT.

Lyle McDonald does a better job of explaining the subject than I ever could:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-moderate-intensity-endurance-and-high-intensity-intermittent-training-on-anaerobic-capacity-and-vo2-max.html

Thanks I will go check out that link. Don't worry, I wasn't even thinking of a high volume of HIIT at all. Just 1 day a week with more "normal" so to speak cardio on other days. I just like the idea of getting the workouts done quicker, lol.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    And I'd like to add you're not just standing there for those 10 seconds, you are sucking wind!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Tabata is a type of HIIT> Tabata, however, emphasizes the 20/10 interval in 8 cycles. 20 seconds all out effort with 10 seconds of recovery. This is the combination that Isumi Tabata came up with to get max Vo2 which is suppose to be peak fat burning.

I might try it out after a few weeks of doing plain ol' HIIT sprints since it is more intense. I heard it was supposed to be the "fastest" way to to burn fat for cardio sessions, but I don't want to tire myself out so bad that my weight training on the next day suffers either.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Tabata is no joke.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    And I'd like to add you're not just standing there for those 10 seconds, you are sucking wind!

This is exactly what I was going to post! 10 seconds rest just seems to get shorter and shorter!

You are going to have to be spot on with a program (rest days, nutrition, sleep) to not burn out if you are doing EDT as well IMO as in a way that is similar to HIT in that it is for speed as well as max lifts.

What you could do is a metabolic finisher on your weight training days. (if you feel up to it). Get your db's out (light) and do some thrusters after, or burpees or whatever you wish.

Rest days can include some LISS cardio IMO if you are pretty fit, which I think you are. I find it helps me recover for next big training session. Non-panting cardio basically, brisk walk etc.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Does anyone know of any studies they can post links to that compare fat loss of HIIT with high intensity cardio, not necessarily done in intervals (something like Turbo Kick, for example)?
  • amulbaby
    Options
    FIRST UNDERSTAND THAT TABATA IS A VARIATION OF THE CONVENTIONAL HIIT TRAINING.

TABATA requires even less time to complete and is more difficult because of the need to maintain high intensity levels for a higher percentage of the workout duration. So what is the difference between the two, and which one is right for you? Let’s start with the latter question.
    You can do either of these two. It really does not matter. The only thing that counts is the time that you have in hand and the amount of time in which you expect to see your results and of course, your resources.

As long as you are doing one or other, and following a regimented strategy that you stick with consistently, you will see excellent results, and either strategy will take less time out of your busy day due to the elevated intensity levels required of any type of HIIT training program. The one that is right for you is the one you prefer, so let’s now look at the difference between them.

Traditional High Intensity Interval Training relies on a core concept of alternating between high intensity and medium intensity, followed by a return to high intensity after a prescribed lack of time. The time that is spent in high intensity mode is usually followed by a medium intensity mode of about double the length, which means 20 seconds of high intensity, followed by 40 seconds of medium intensity before returning to high intensity again, thus, a 1:2 ratio of high intensity seconds to medium intensity seconds.

Because there are more seconds spent in medium intensity than what is spent in high intensity mode, HIIT can generally last a longer duration than the Tabata Method. The most impactful thing that the Tabata Method does is to reverse the 1:2 ratio; for Tabata training, it is 2:1! So you would have 20 seconds of high intensity followed by just 10 seconds of medium intensity before you return to the high intensity mode—much different from HIIT training.

This massive onslaught of high intensity places an even greater strain on your body and elevates you heart rate to even greater heights that with HIIT.

So pick the one you are most comfortable with. If you’re out of shape, you may want to start with traditional High Intensity interval Training and then work your way up to Tabata training later. Tabata is hard. But the benefits are worth the effort.

HOW TO KNOW IF U R WITHIN D RANGE WHEN DOING THESE?

Simple...your body is pushed to overdrive and you will be completely exhausted by the time you finish it properly.

These are my favorite KILLER WORKOUTS.
    Good luck,
    By Abhishek
  • Sheniquwa2
    Options
    Bump