Do you always measure your food?

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
I don't, I eyeball everything. If I think I'm even a little off when logging, I round up. Probably not the best thing but it's better than under-guessing.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I measure or weight my food.
  • sdickerson
    Options
    Once I started weighing my food I realized I had been eating more than I thought; what I had believed was 6 ounces turned out to be much higher. So I weigh consistently now to be sure and have had better weight loss results.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm measuring it a fair amount of the time, but I'm only a few weeks into the process and don't have a good eye for it yet. I think as time goes on I'll measure less and less, which will be good because measuring takes time and effort.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Are you making progress that you are happy with? If so, then carry on!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm following a recipe, I eyeball it.

I have very good eyeballs for judging sizes and proportions. It's my one freakish skill. That and "Name that Tune."
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was doing just what you were, but started using a measuring cup recently, and my wife bought me a kitchen scale so now I am on point with my meats as well. I think you are right to round up mostly, but then again you never want to undercut your protein intake, or so I've heard.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    measure or weigh everything. :smile: if i'm out, i eyeball it.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I always measure and weigh, when I don't I'm always off, and not in a good way :)
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes just guess based on the size of the packet and how much I use in proportion to how much it contained.
    But that's only since my digital scales ran out of battery.
    I bought analog scales to replace it because I thought "ugh changing batteries means unscrewing and getting a new battery, life would be easier with analog" - but I disagree now, the analog scale seems very inaccurate and quite imprecise.
  • snowbunnies
    Options
    I do my best to eye-ball it at work, but at home I use this cheap 15$ kitchen scale: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Digital-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen/dp/B001QS087A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308876365&sr=8-3

It's super easy to use and has definitely opened my eyes to serving sizes... especially cheese!!

31mS1VWnjNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I used to... Lately, I've been slacking just a little. For instance, I'm way too lazy to wash my measuring cup, so I've just been eyeballing a 1/2 cup of almond milk for my cereal in the morning. Lol.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If I'm home, I always measure it. I just got a kitchen scale so I'm pretty excited to use that.

When I'm at a restaurant, I look at their nutrition values on an app on my phone. Restaurants are typically more likely to short you food than give you extra so it's been pretty reliable so far.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Most always, when I cant I log in a bit more to be safe.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to... Lately, I've been slacking just a little. For instance, I'm way too lazy to wash my measuring cup, so I've just been eyeballing a 1/2 cup of almond milk for my cereal in the morning. Lol.
    [/quote

Buy more, I have several shape and sizes. I Never run out.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes just guess based on the size of the packet and how much I use in proportion to how much it contained.
    But that's only since my digital scales ran out of battery.
    I bought analog scales to replace it because I thought "ugh changing batteries means unscrewing and getting a new battery, life would be easier with analog" - but I disagree now, the analog scale seems very inaccurate and quite imprecise.

If there's a "Batteries Plus" near you, take your scale there. Buy the battery from them, and they'll install it, no charge.

(There might be an equivalent franchise near you -- Batteries Plus is what we have around here.)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think I may have a measuring obsession ;-)
    I measure it all.. unless the amount of milk on my cereal isn't adequate, then I add some more :P
  • JeanneGreenie
    JeanneGreenie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I measure my food all the time. I use both measuring cups and a scale. I don't have a lot of money right now so until I can afford what I want, I found a food scale for $5.00 at Target.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Nope, I've been doing this long enough that I know the amounts basically. The only thing I do measure is the exact ingredients in post workout shake (protein, BCAA, milk, carb source)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I started weighing and measuring when I started writing out my recipes... for some reason, folks want numbers on recipes. :happy:

I found I'm pretty good at eyeballing... except spices... I always use more than I used to think I did... but they're spices.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i measure it for now, until i can actually know how much it all is without needing to measure