Cilantro!

live2dream
live2dream Posts: 614 Member
i have the biggest giant bunch of cilantro in my fridge...i love it & put it in everything, but any recipe ideas for A LOT of cilantro ?

Replies

• Rachel6901
    Rachel6901 Posts: 105 Member
    I love putting mine in a batch of taco meat with some rotel or a big batch of homemade salsa! YUMMMY!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Fajitas with homemade salsa!
  • NooNooBun
    NooNooBun Posts: 6
    Any type of soup!! I love the taste and smell of cilantro!! I even put it in tuna, salad, salsa...etc.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Pico de Gallo:

8 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped coarsely ( I like vine-ripened tomatoes)

1 med-large onion, chopped coarsely

1/2 to 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely (be careful to wash your hands well after handling jalapenos)

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

salt taste

Juice of 1 lime

Mix well and serve with baked tortilla chips
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Disclaimer: This is not really diet food, but they are soooooo good in the summer! Most of the recipe does not use cilantro. The cilantro is only the icing on the cake at the end. :)

PART ONE: HOMEMADE TORTILLAS

½ cup minus 1 tablespoon lard (you can find this by the blocks of butter in the dairy section)
    3 cups flour 
    1 scant tablespoon salt 
    1¼ cup very warm water

First, mix the flour and salt in a mixing bowl, then add the lard in a big chunk. Working with your hands, break the lard up into smaller and smaller chunks, coating each with flour, until they're around the size of, or a bit larger than, rice grains. Adding the water in three stages, mix the ingredients into a large ball.

Next, roll the whole batter into a long 3-inch-thick cylinders, then cut into pieces. The idea here is to help you divide the dough into 16 equal balls of dough. Let them rest for around 15 minutes.

Using a rolling pin or beer bottle (it's the perfect shape, actually), roll the dough with a little flour, turning 90 degrees and repeating until it makes a 6-inch circle. You'll have to experiment a bit with the thickness--too thick and it's more like a pita, too thin and it turns into a cracker on the griddle. Once you roll it out, toss it from palm to palm to coax it into a nice round shape. Right before you cook it, stretch it gently here and there to even out the thickness.

Heat the griddle to medium-low heat and cook for about a minute until bubbles start to form and it starts to become pliable.

Alternative: You can also pick up smaller flour or corn tortillas from your local grocery market to save time.

PART TWO: CHIPOTLE REMOULADE SAUCE

1 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup chili sauce (I found this in the Asian foods section)
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste (I just used Tabasco)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    4 medium scallions (green onions), chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (in the produce section)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Using a blender, mix together mayonnaise, chili sauce, mustard, olive oil, hot sauce, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in scallions, parsley and garlic. Season with chili powder, and salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate. I bought a plastic ketchup dispenser to just squirt the sauce on to the tacos which makes it really easier.

PART THREE: FISH

Any white fish cut in to 1-inch strips
    1 cup flour 
    2 teaspoons salt 
    1 beer, not dark 
    Red cabbage (1 head)
    Shredded carrots
    Fresh cilantro

I used Cod for the white fish but if you can find Grouper, that would be the recommendation. For a more affordable selection, you can use Tilapia or any other white fish.

Combine flour and salt, then add beer. The consistency should look like a creamy paste.

Get a big pan with a thick lip and put enough oil so it's about an inch thick. Turn the heat up to medium-high. Make sure it's not on high or it will start to smoke. Do a test run with one piece of battered fish, and when it's ready the oil will start to bubble.

Turn the fish after about a minute. Look for the color to decide when to remove. Brown is bad; golden is okay. What you're looking for is something a little less than golden. Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain.

Cut up the cabbage. Slice as thinly as possible so the strands still stay together.

Take your freshly made tortillas and place the freshly fried fish, shredded cabbage and shredded carrots inside and slather it with the chipotle remoulade sauce. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro. You can also squeeze a freshly cut lime wedge over the entire taco. It should look like this when you're done.

fishtacos.jpg

Enjoy!!!

SUGGESTED DRINKS

Drinks that go well with these tacos are Margaritas, Coronas or Mojitos. :)))
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    I make Pico de Gallo with it.

4 tomatoes
    1 onion
    1/8 cup cillantro
    2-3 jalapenos
    Garlic powder
    1/2 Lime

Chop tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapenos finely and mix together. Add garlic powder (how much depends on your taste) and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime over it. Mix together and it is best it you let it chill for a few hours before eating.

I also make my own baked tortilla chips to eat with it :)
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    I should mention I'm a vegetarian, but I can usually find substitutes for any kind of meat :)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Make chimichurri!

It's a typical Argentinean accompaniment to steak-- kind of like a South American pesto. You can put it on any kind of grilled meat or fish, too (or tofu, probably certain veggies too, etc.). Here's a simple recipe:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flank-Steak-with-Chimichurri-104556

You can basically cut the olive oil down to whatever you're comfortable with, and spices are negotiable. The important thing is that you include olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, cilantro, parsley, garlic, and cumin. These are non-negotiable to me.

You could also dress potatoes in it for an Argentinean potato salad, too. Maybe add some tomatoes to it? Good luck! :heart:

Edit: Just saw that you're vegetarian. I'd definitely grill some tofu (marinated very simply with maybe some garlic and hot pepper), and when it's done, spoon some chimichurri onto it. Eat it with grilled spring onions and maybe some brown rice. Add whatever veggies you've grilled (maybe mushrooms, too), and it's an easy dinner. This is making me hungry...
  • LaSirena29
    LaSirena29 Posts: 84
    This is one of my go-to recipes. I make a big batch and eat it for days. It's called Hurricane Salsa Salad because the basic recipe ingredients are things that can be kept in the pantry, its super easy to make, can be made without any electricity & keeps for a while. When I make it in everyday life I add lots of other ingredients, including lots of cilantro, to bulk it up. It's yummy & vegetarian.

Hurrican Salsa Salad

basic ingredients:
    2 cans of black beans, drained & rinsed
    2 cans of corn, drained & rinsed (I sometimes use frozen instead)
    1 can of chick pease, drained & rinsed
    1 1/2 cups of your favorite jarred salsa (or more, to your taste)

additional add-ins, as available, all to taste:
    cherry tomatoes, halved
    red onions, finely diced
    cilantro, chopped
    jalepeno pepper, seeded & diced

Mix all ingredients together. Put in refrigerator (or, in the case of a Hurricane, a cooler), for at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally. Will keep in the refrigerator for several days, but it never last that long in our house.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    If you really have a lot, you can use it as the base of a salad in place a lettuce. Mix it up with some rocket or baby spinach and whatever other ingredients you want (some nuts? shredded carrot? steamed pumpkin?)
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    I had a lot of cilantro leftover after I made guacamole one time. I ended up making cilantro pesto with it. I used almonds, parmesan, cilantro, olive oil and a dash of lemon juice then blend in food processor. I froze the batch to put over chicken/fish or pasta for later. What I tasted by itself was very good though.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    I greatly dislike cilantro.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    I use it a lot when I make Indian food. It has such a good flavor.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    cilantro = coriander right?
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    cilantro = coriander right?

That's right. (Coriander the herb, as opposed to coriander seeds, of course).
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    throw it n some steamed rice
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    throw it n some steamed rice