Lasagne Alternative?

kr3851
kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
Hi!

So... I love lasagne. But I'm trying to avoid eating too much pasta. I haven't been able to find wholemeal lasagne sheets so far (I'm in Aus) and don't like eating eggplant. What else can I use for the pasta layers? I still want it to taste like lasagne because I CRAVE it...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated... As well as a healthy 'white sauce' recipe that is still tasty....

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    zucchini in lasagna ROCKS!
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Thin long ways slices of eggplant work great as a lasagna noodle sub.
  • LaDawn74
    LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
    Use tofu and soy cheese instead of cottage cheese, riccato(sp) cheese.....
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    the lean cuisine lasagna and meat sauce was one of my favorite things to eat, though... it is a lean cuisine. but if you're really craving it, i recommend it!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Personally I use whole wheat lasgana pasta sheets, hunt's canned pasta sauce, ground turkey and low fat low sodium ricotta and mozzerella.

Still is under 460 calories and tastes great. even my parents liked it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Check out a few supermarkets in your area - I've found wholemeal lasagna sheets in Coles and Woolies, they shouldn't be too hard to track down.

If you like the flavours but want to cut the amount of pasta you could make it a kind of veggie bake instead by using the same sauce but mixing it up with lots of extra veggies and a smaller amount of cooked pasta, like penne.

Or you could make wholemeal flour crepes and use them instead of pasta, but this would be a bit too much hassle for me :)

Instead of white sauce I use reduced fat ricotta (sometimes with an egg mixed in, or with spinach) - yum!
    Or you can make white sauce with olive oil, one tbsn flour and skim milk, but I like the ricotta better.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    do you have wonton noodles there? or egg roll wrappers? use them inplace of the pasta.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/460521-low-carb-vegetable-lasagna/

I know you said no eggplant, but maybe the zucchini?
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Michael Angelo's vegetable lasagna is pretty good for frozen food...don't know if you can get it there. You could always put down thin layers of whatever whole grain pasta you are able to find. It'd be a little different, maybe more like a casserole but I think it would work and give you the flavor you crave.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I made pastaless lasagna last weekend using potatoes instead. I need to refine the recipe as I felt that it had too many potatoes, but it's still good. At least it's all veggies instead of pasta.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    the lean cuisine lasagna and meat sauce was one of my favorite things to eat, though... it is a lean cuisine. but if you're really craving it, i recommend it!

Actually the lean cuisine has more carbs than the regular single serving stouffer's lasagna.

Lean cuisine:
    Calories 320

Sodium 630 mg

Total Fat 8 g

Potassium 710 mg

Saturated 4 g

Total Carbs 45 g

Polyunsaturated 0 g

Dietary Fiber 4 g

Monounsaturated 2 g

Sugars 8 g

Trans 0 g

Protein 17 g

Cholesterol 30 mg

Regular Stouffer's

Calories 350

Sodium 930 mg

Total Fat 11 g

Potassium 0 mg

Saturated 6 g

Total Carbs 38 g

Polyunsaturated 0 g

Dietary Fiber 3 g

Monounsaturated 0 g

Sugars 7 g

Trans 1 g

Protein 24 g

Cholesterol 40 mg
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    you could make your own pasta...no fancy machines needed just mix roughly 100g plain flour (white or wholemeal) with 1 egg. I use 200g/2 eggs for a lasagne for 4.

Mix until a dough...can use a mixer if you have one. Knead for 10 mins until elastic. Cover in cling film and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Roll out using a rolling pin. Proper foodies would have a paddy at a rolling pin but for lasagne sheets its ideal. That way you can get really thin sheets. No pre-cooking of the sheets needed.

The rest is up to you, meat sauce, white sauce etc. I too love lasagne but making your own sheets you can keep the amount of pasta you use under control.

martyxxx
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    I'd use this recipe before i started trying to lose weight. I absolutely love this recipe and started using it to try and get the kids eating more veg. Even my oh who hates everything loves this.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/cook-yourself-thin-recipes/light-but-luxurious-lasagne-recipe

At the time i'd use fresh peppers instead of jars, cost and availiability being a factor

Now i'd also swap the beef mince for quorn mince to save even more calories.

I've tried turkey mince instead of beef and i find it tastes awful, which is weird because i like turkey, who knew mincing it would make it taste so bad.
  • i found a pasta in the organic section of the grocery store last evening that was made from just brown rice, rice bran & water. maybe take a look around for an alternative like that, if you still want the feel of eating pasta.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    You can layer it with spinach - you need to use lots of spinach though -its really nice and adds a lot of iron to the meal
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    To lower the carb and fat content, go chicken or turkey mince. I grill pumpkin and zucchini and use that as pasta sheets.

I also do a vegetarian ricotta bake that is de-licious! Once again- grilled pumpkin, zucchini then mix low fat ricotta with garlic, an egg and spinach. Use the grilled veg as pasta layers and spoon in between the ricotta mix. If you have extra calories you can add toasted pinenuts to the ricotta. Sprinkle with some low fat cheese on top and serve with a simple side salad and chickpeas. So simple, healthy and tasty!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    I eat Dreamfield's pasta--probably about the same calories as regular, but the effective carbs are drastically lower, so I can eat a whole plate of pasta (or chunk of lasagna) without my blood sugar spiking. It's been a blessing; when I was diagnosed diabetic, I was so afraid that it spelled an end to me and pasta. Something this Italian girl couldn't bear!

Kris
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    hroush,

Good to see you're trying to make a change in the way you prepare food but I just thought I'd point out that potatoes are probably on par with white pasta. You would be better to substitute white pasta with wholemeal pasta or a lower carb/GI vegetable like eggplant, pumpkin, zucchini, spinach or sweet potato! Just thought I'd let you know!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    hroush,

Good to see you're trying to make a change in the way you prepare food but I just thought I'd point out that potatoes are probably on par with white pasta. You would be better to substitute white pasta with wholemeal pasta or a lower carb/GI vegetable like eggplant, pumpkin, zucchini, spinach or sweet potato! Just thought I'd let you know!

I did some googling to find the original recipe and then I attempted to modify it. I like the sweet potato idea, but will definitely say that potatoes are definitely better than white pasta..