need motivation

CharleneJ14
CharleneJ14 Posts: 13 Member
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
I started this specific journey in January 2011, a little bit after my sister in law. I decided that I too wanted to lose weight. So I started going to the gym with her and my younger sister. But I haven't lost much weight. Even with going 3 or 4 times a week every week, I didn't lose much. I have lost 11 pounds total. I know at one point I stopped going to the gym because nothing was happening. My weight was even fluctuating up and down. I am going to start going to the gym again, but I need motivation.

I can't figure out how to work the before and after pics.. but i'll post them on my profile

Please help with motivation!!

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    First of all, congratulations on losing 11 pounds! That is so awesome!!!

Without knowing specifics on what you have done so far or the types of food you are having, I would say to first take a look at the types of food you are eating. It is my opinion that successful weight loss comes from 80% diet and only 20% exercise. If you are exercising the amount that you are, you should be increasing your calories. In your food diary, watch your sugar, fat and sodium intakes. Try to replace "okay" meals with great meals. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables along with drinking plenty of water.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Sometimes losing weight is less about going to the gym and more about choosing healthy foods to eat! Take some time to evaluate your eating habits and see if you are getting enough whole foods, fresh fruits/vegetables and 'real' foods. Try to cut out most of the processed stuff, fast food isn't really helping anyone.

Not sure if this applies to you, but I know that I used to work out constantly years ago and never lost a pound. It was because I ate crap all day long!
  • CharleneJ14
    CharleneJ14 Posts: 13 Member
    the funny thing is, i eat the healthiest in my family. but my older sister did tell me that sleep affects your weight so i'm hoping that cutting my sleep down to 8 hours will help. and i'm cutting out fast food completely even if its only a once a week thing. thanks for your help though. i'll definitely start eating healthier foods. i love fruits, so that wont be a problem =]
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    It's hard when you live with others and they eat crap because then it's always available....it really comes down to self control and eating in moderation. I don't want you to think i'm being tough on you, but maybe you need a kick in the pants to get you going....? That's what I needed and look where I am now =) You have my number, Charlene, if you have questions or need help with anything, you know how to get a hold of me!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    my nutritionist says (and I totally agree) that 80% of weight loss is in the food you eat... good luck!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Also, I have found many great inspirations on MFP; maybe add some more friends to keep you accountable? =)
This discussion has been closed.