Another Question about Strength Training

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
I was speaking to someone the other day about lifting and they said that you must lift for 60 minutes to really get anything substantial out of it. I had told him that on the days that I lift, I do it for 30 minutes. That is on top of the cardio that I do on those days.

I understand that when it comes to exercise, something is always better than nothing. But, my question is: To get toned and stay toned and healthy, how long should strength training sessions be and how often?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Is that for bodybuilding or for general fitness? Because there is NO WAY I could extend my 30 min sessions to 60 mins.
  • mektnf04
    mektnf04 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am on a high protein diet to put on muscle and I lift twice a week for 30-45 minutes and I have been doing this for 4-5 weeks and I can see a pretty noticeable difference, so I would say that lifting for 30 minutes to tone should be fine...
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Is that for bodybuilding or for general fitness? Because there is NO WAY I could extend my 30 min sessions to 60 mins.

General fitness. I am currently training for a half-marathon, but not a race. Just doing it for myself. I certain do NOT want to be a body builder if any kind.:noway: I usually do one round of 2 sets of 25 reps on every machine in my gym. (small gym about 7 machines) it takes about 30 minutes to complete that.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Most body builders I have spoken to have told me, unless you are working the WHOLE body (if so, why?) that anything over 30 minutes is excessive. If all you are wanting to do is strength training, you would do more harm to your body than good if you stayed longer.

A good rule of thumb is to lift 3 reps of 15/or failure (you don't think you can do anymore) for each part. *I*, personally, will split it into three days. Day 1 - Arms and Chest. Day 2 - Abs and Back. Day 3 - Legs. I spend no more than an hour and a half in the gym (an hour on the treadmill and half hour lifting).

Hope this helps. Good luck!