Cranberry Juice

Options
I, unfortunately, have a UTI and am supposed to drink cranberry juice (in addition to taking an antibiotic) to aid the road to recovery. However, just 8 oz has 35g of sugar! This is more than I'm 'allowed' daily and I'm supposed to drink the entire bottle in a 24 period! I'm REALLY hesitant about doing this, even tho I know it will speed up the healing process and help me feel better faster.

I'm hoping someone out there has an alternative that's not so sugar laden. I even bought the 'no sugar added'. I've tried the Diet cranberry juice and while I normally love cranberry anything, that was horrible!

Help!

Replies

• SlimLittleMrs
    Options
    Diet Cranberry Juice ;)
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Skip the juice! You can buy cranberry pills just about anywhere.

Problem solved. :)
  • zoey4316
    zoey4316 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells Cranberry pills, they work really well and don't have nearly all the calories as the juice. Hope that Helps :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    They make sugar free or ow sugar cranberry juices. I still drink it from time to time because I have had a UTI and NEVER want to again!
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    for a UTI you're supposed to drink the No Sugar Added kind! sugar makes it worse. ive had like a million of these, super prone to them, sugar is bad bad.

get the 100% juice, no sugar added kind!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I've had a few UTI's (I'm one of those gals who get them too much)... and I've never went for the juice. Just the antibiotics my doctor prescribed, and it worked out great.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Cranberry pills with lots and lots of water. No calories or sugar.
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    also, i take a cranberry pill everyday with my multivitamin to avoid future UTI's! just something to think about :]
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to drink the cran juice. I wouldn't worry about it. The juice really just helps prevent infection. Trust me, I have these all the time...I mean way too often. Just drink A LOT of water. Peeing more often will help you get out the bacteria. Also, to be safe I would go out and get a yeast infection medicine because sometime the antibiotics will kill the UTI and then give you a yeast infection.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I, unfortunately, have a UTI and am supposed to drink cranberry juice (in addition to taking an antibiotic) to aid the road to recovery. However, just 8 oz has 35g of sugar! This is more than I'm 'allowed' daily and I'm supposed to drink the entire bottle in a 24 period! I'm REALLY hesitant about doing this, even tho I know it will speed up the healing process and help me feel better faster.

I'm hoping someone out there has an alternative that's not so sugar laden. I even bought the 'no sugar added'. I've tried the Diet cranberry juice and while I normally love cranberry anything, that was horrible!

Help!

I, too, have a UTI (am on Cipro right now), and am drinking Cranberry juice, even though the research doesn't bear out a curative function (though cranberry juice does prevent bacteria from adhering to urinary structure walls, which means it may be helpful in preventing future UTIs). I'm drinking Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Juice--5 calories and very low carbs.

Now, if cranberry juice could clear up this vicious flank pain.

Good luck!

Kris
  • Pynkklady
    Pynkklady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

Since I don't think I could stomach an entire bottle of the diet cranberry juice, I'm going to give the pills a try.

Thank you again!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    green tea with cranberry....one thing that does work (ex-nurse here) the doctors in the UK used to prescribe guiness/stout beer 1/2 pint a day to clean your bladder and tubes...guess it had something to do with the yeast in it....can't imagine the sugar content is any better.

The main thing is to 'flush' the bacteria out so drink a lot of water..it may hurt to pee at first but the more diluted your wee the less pain and make sure you take all the antibiotics even after the symptoms go to really kill those bugs!! (What doen't kill them makes them stronger!!)

martyxxx
  • xanthososcial
    Options
    O.K. You have been given some good and so not so good advice. 1st and foremost, you must take the prescribed antibiotic in order to get rid of the active UTI. Cranberry can help speed up the cure and will prevent future infections IF it is dosed correctly... I will cover the dosing later in this reply... Cranberry Juice - the proven effective amount of cranberry juice is 10 ounces consumed in 15 minutes daily. You are right, it is full of sugar. Both natural and added. So, what you have to have is pure cranberry juice, not a cocktail. it must be 27% cranberry... the balance water not some other fruit juice. The curative active is the A-type proanthocyanidin. It is ONLY found in the American cranberry. So, if you do juice, follow the above. Several respondents suggested cranberry "pills" ie. supplements. Virtually every cranberry supplement on the U.S. market is "pixie dust". Yes, absolute garbage. To get the same effect as the juice you must take 36mg of proanthocyanidins at once to be effective. There is only one product available in the U.S. that works to prevent UTIs and helps speed up antibiotics cure. ellura, marketed as Urell throughout Europe. It is the only cranberry supplement that has an approval. ellura is approved for UTI treatment by France's version of the FDA. I have researched cranberry supplements to no end. elura not only passes the smell test... It works. It is new to the U.S. and is only available at www.myellura.com. The website is full of great info. check it out. If anyone in this thread has recurring UTIs, please do yourself a favor and at least check out the ellura website. ellura truly works for me. Best of luck in ridding yourself or the beastly UTI! Oh yah! No sugar!
  • xanthososcial
    Options
    Even unsweetened cranberry juice is FULL of sugar. I take ellura (www.myellura.com). I emailed the company and they provided me with a copy of the calorie testing. 1 capsule has less that 1 calorie!!! Oh yah! You only take 1 capsule a day! Check out the site for a ton of info! Most importantly, ellura works!