Females only please???

Options
Does any one know why when its "that time of the month" i would feel so famished. I never really paid attention partly because i was never regular. But this weekend i was so hungry and today has been the worst. Nothing seems to be making me feel full. And today aunt flo came for a visit. Now i understand the cravings, but what about your period makes us so hungry??
Any thoughts??
Thanks Jenny

Replies

• bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    Does any one know why when its "that time of the month" i would feel so famished. I never really paid attention partly because i was never regular. But this weekend i was so hungry and today has been the worst. Nothing seems to be making me feel full. And today aunt flo came for a visit. Now i understand the cravings, but what about your period makes us so hungry??
    Any thoughts??
    Thanks Jenny
  • kdanderson05
    Options
    I'm not sure why it makes us hungry, but I know that with me I always get really hungry and get the munchies after Aunt Flo is done....
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Premenstrual Syndrome or PMS

PMS has been known by women for many many years. However, within the past 30 or so years, pharmaceutical companies have targeted and created a market to treat this normal part of a woman's cycle as a disease. These companies then benefit from the sale of drugs and treatments.

Premenstrual syndrome refers to the collection of symptoms or sensations women experience as a result of high hormone levels before, and sometimes during, their periods.

One type of PMS is characterized by anxiety, irritability and mood swings. These feelings are usually relieved with the onset of bleeding. Most likely, this type relates to the balance between estrogen and progesterone. If estrogen predominates, anxiety occurs. If there's more progesterone, depression may be a complaint.

Sugar craving, fatigue and headaches signify a different type of PMS. In addition to sugar, women may crave chocolate, white bread, white rice, pastries, and noodles. These food cravings may be caused by the increased responsiveness to insulin related to increased hormone levels before menstruation. In this circumstance, women may experience symptoms of low blood sugar; their brains are signaling a need for fuel. A consistent diet that includes complex carbohydrates will provide a steady flow of energy to the brain and counter the ups and downs of blood sugar variations.

came from here: http://www.fwhc.org/health/moon.htm
  • bnl07a
    bnl07a Posts: 9
    Options
    It always makes me more hungry. I feel like I could eat a cow :)
  • sawtoothtye
    Options
    same here! I especially crave carbs.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have pmdd which is horrible - I turn into a raving lunatic for about a week every month, I eat almost constantly and get very emotional about everything good and bad, I also will get acne for that week which doesn't help the emotions when you are pizza faced - I was on meds for it but they really help you gain weight and only cure the emotional stuff. so not worth it

My hubby sure must love me to put up with all my crap!:love:

The doc put me on that yaz stuff for awhile and that did help with the cravings but wasnt strong enough to completly "cure" me - it might work for some of you other girls though.
  • OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    Options
    same here, i crave everything, i try to say no and drink water instead, but sometimes, esp. during that time u need to say its ok i can eat a little more
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I dont know something about hormones makes those cravings come!!!!!!damn things!!!!!
  • EALNG
    EALNG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    YEp I feel famished during that time of the month as well. Who knows why.

97295.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • georgiaj
    Options
    I feel starved a couple days before I start...
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts??
    Thanks Jenny

Youcan look up onlin in the medical journal or ask your dr. They say that you burn more calories during ur period which is why you have insane cravings and always feel hungry. My dr told me the best time to start a diet or exercise plan is when you start your period because it helps with cramps for one and also you metabolism jump starts it self...

but then again who the hell wants to get up and exercise when you feel your insides are being squeezed thru one of those old time presses that they used to dry clothes with... i always get a fever during mine and it sucks major balls :(
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly why that is but i think it has to do with the fact that our bodies are preparing us for whats to come... so trying to soak in all the nutrience it can before and durring Aunt Flo.
    I know i usually eat what ever i pretty much want durring that time of the month and by the end of it i have usually lost a few pounds... id have to say its the best time of the month to lose weight lol
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    GH is a hormone that promotes the growth of skeletal muscle and long bones. The frequency and amplitude of its release is increased in menstruating women, so that probably has to do with it. That would also affect insulin sensitivity. Also, most women become slightly anemic during menstruation, and fatigue is often mistaken for hunger.