Trust me. You don't want to open this thread.

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
Hey, I warned you. I'll warn you again. Below is a picture of a spider I just caught outside. It's big and scary and nasty.

SPIDER AHEAD!!!

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

If you keep scrolling, I can't take the blame for it being all freaky and spidery!

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

This is a black widow that has been living on my patio for a couple of weeks. She only comes out at night and I saw the huge, red hourglass print on her tummy which is how I knew what she was. I kept meaning to relocate her out in the desert but I didn't know how to catch her as spiders freak me right the eff out.

Well, tonight I found the balls to jar her. I feel awful because I accidentally broke one of her legs in the process and now she's writhing around in pain. I didn't mean to hurt her. But I knew if I left her there she'd eventually sting me and, my spider knowledge is pretty basic, but can't that venom kill you or make you really sick or something? No thanks.

Plus, I run around at night with my dogs and if one of them got bit, I could never forgive myself.

So, without further ado, here's she is:

1DafZ.jpg

Eek! Where's a big, strong man when you need him?

Replies

• SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    eeeeeewwwww i so dont do spiders...yuk!!
  • wantconfidence
    Options
    your so brave eeeeek just looking at it freaks me out
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HER??? If she gets pissed bc you took off one of her legs, and stings you, it could kill you! Eeek scary
  • RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    what a beauty! but i wouldnt want to get bitten by one, we dont get black widows here. I used to have a redrump tarantula but she was a pet -- she was quite vicious sometimes.
  • wildst4r
    wildst4r Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HER??? If she gets pissed bc you took off one of her legs, and stings you, it could kill you! Eeek scary

Umm the spider's in a jar :)
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How many calories in that?
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

I think the spider is in a glass! Is he going back into the wilds, McKay?

I love spiders - they're so cool...even the bitey ones! One of my friends has loads as pets, and I have to say that his tarantulas are gorgeous...so velvety and soft. I love stroking them! He also has lizards and snakes, which are also fab. The snakes tend to wrap themselves around our arms and then fall asleep! :laugh:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Yup, she's in a jar.

And I'm going to relocate her tomorrow. She'll be much happier out in the desert. XD
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    easier than all that. a boot heel. they lay 10,000 eggs at a time. THere will be a replacement spider out there if you smash this one.

Bruce
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    your nice doll. I would have smashed the crap out of her with a book or magazine and felt bad but safe.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i dont mind spiders in general, but i think if i had a seriously poisonous bitey one living in/ near my house, id be more likely to hit it with a shoe than attempt to catch and relocate.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    How many calories in that?
    What..from screaming and running around???
    Or
    As dinner??
    lol
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    easier than all that. a boot heel. they lay 10,000 eggs at a time. THere will be a replacement spider out there if you smash this one.

Bruce
    So helpful.....:grumble:
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Bruce
    So helpful.....:grumble:

:laugh: Well, I'm moving 3000 miles away in 2 months so I'm not worried about black widows here. haha

Though, I will have a whole new slew of critters to defend myself and my pup against there! :ohwell:

Anyone ever heard of "chiggers"? Yeah, me neither til last week. lol
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Bruce

<sigh> :ohwell:

Glad that you're going to relocate it , McKay - good for you. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am scared of spiders but would never kill one - I don't think anything deserves to die. So you are my hero of the day allowing spider to keep her life x:flowerforyou:
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Bruce

<sigh> :ohwell:

Glad that you're going to relocate it , McKay - good for you. :flowerforyou:

Well, she's been keeping me safe from other little buggies, so it wouldn't be a very nice repayment if I smooshed her. I knew you'd understand. :)
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I am scared of spiders but would never kill one - I don't think anything deserves to die. So you are my hero of the day allowing spider to keep her life x:flowerforyou:

:drinker:

Great signature quote, too.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i am so glad that the most harm ive got to worry about from wildlife in the UK is probably a bee sting
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    OMG amazing! Do you have a better picture? Black widows are gorgeous. I've seen a few of them and they are just so pretty. My husband ended up with a bunch of them crawling over his arms at work one day (by accident!)- luckily, he had gloves on and they didn't get under them; he managed to survive, LOL. So glad to hear that you caught her and are going to relocate her; I'd do the same thing. :flowerforyou: