OOPPSS

Options
Ok my dr gave me phentermine to help me reach my goal weightbecause I had I guess had hit a dry spell.... I was flaky about taking it to begin with because being a complete weirdo it makes me insanely tired (I have some condition that makes everything react opposite on me (and its a real condition with a real long complicated medical term)... i.e. a red bull puts me pretty much into an intoxicated/drugged and sleepy state of mind where a benedryl or or pain/sleeping pills/alcohol makes me bounce insanely off the walls.....and nO i don't have A.D.D. well at least professionally diagnosed lol)

Ive lost 47 pounds I'm down to my last 25-30....maybe more...so he gave it to me to help but I have absolutely NO appetite at all... I mean todayall I have had is 4 cups of coffee and finally forced myself to eat a a small piece of a pita bread and a scrambled egg with laughing cow cheese on it...and a bunch of water...Ive had a total of 500 calories of which 129 of them came from my coffee binge..which by the way made me sleepy (it was Arabic/turkish coffee hahaahha im addicted to the taste of it)

is this harming me more than helping me?? i only started taking it again because I gained 3.5 pounds back during my insane work weeks...and some holidays... (Eid...Rosh Hashanha...yes completely different religions and holidays its complicated..my family is a half n half type deal lol and you wonder why the hell im confused)

ok so enough rambling...

Replies

• Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ok my dr gave me phentermine to help me reach my goal weightbecause I had I guess had hit a dry spell.... I was flaky about taking it to begin with because being a complete weirdo it makes me insanely tired (I have some condition that makes everything react opposite on me (and its a real condition with a real long complicated medical term)... i.e. a red bull puts me pretty much into an intoxicated/drugged and sleepy state of mind where a benedryl or or pain/sleeping pills/alcohol makes me bounce insanely off the walls.....and nO i don't have A.D.D. well at least professionally diagnosed lol)

Ive lost 47 pounds I'm down to my last 25-30....maybe more...so he gave it to me to help but I have absolutely NO appetite at all... I mean todayall I have had is 4 cups of coffee and finally forced myself to eat a a small piece of a pita bread and a scrambled egg with laughing cow cheese on it...and a bunch of water...Ive had a total of 500 calories of which 129 of them came from my coffee binge..which by the way made me sleepy (it was Arabic/turkish coffee hahaahha im addicted to the taste of it)

is this harming me more than helping me?? i only started taking it again because I gained 3.5 pounds back during my insane work weeks...and some holidays... (Eid...Rosh Hashanha...yes completely different religions and holidays its complicated..my family is a half n half type deal lol and you wonder why the hell im confused)

ok so enough rambling...
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at all, but I know you have to eat to lose weight...and if this medication is making you not able to eat much of anything, I can't help but think that you're doing more harm than good. I know plateaus are frustrating, but in my opinion, you should go back to whatever you were doing to lose all that weight to begin with...read Banks' post about busting through that plateau and do a google search for plateau busting...I think that will do you better than the medication will. Good luck and best wishes on your fitness goals!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i'd be careful with that, if its causing you to not eat, you're not getting vitamins and minerals, so worse than not losing weight, you might get sick, lose your hair, you'll feel tired so you won't want to exercise...etc. I say you don't take the drug, and you keep working hard at your healthy changes you've made!! :happy:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    If a diet pill is making you only want to eat 500 calories a day, I would stop taking it. you dont need it, you have lost enough to know that. Plateaus happen, but they dont last forever!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk ot your doctor. He might be able to recommend something else. BUT I do advocate drugless weight loss. You've come this far on your own, you can finish that way too! Just have to stick with it! :flowerforyou:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Your doc might be setting you up for failure...I would be starving as soon as I quit taking them....but isn't it strange that if I could get my hands on some I'd probably be popping them left and right...
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya sis... all you need to do to answer your own questions is just look at what you said! Especially about the way that the drug made you feel, and do.

... but I have absolutely NO appetite at all... I mean todayall I have had is 4 cups of coffee and finally forced myself to eat a a small piece of a pita bread and a scrambled egg with laughing cow cheese on it...and a bunch of water...Ive had a total of 500 calories of which 129 of them came from my coffee binge..

You know that's not healthy baby! So toss the pills in the round file, and just stick to the plan baby. Hugz! :flowerforyou:
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Your doc might be setting you up for failure...I would be starving as soon as I quit taking them....but isn't it strange that if I could get my hands on some I'd probably be popping them left and right...

Here is the crazy thing--I dont feel hungry even when I don't take them. My Co-workers have a running joke about me only eating 3 times a week ...

More than likely I will stop taking them...but probably because I am cheap and insurance doesn't cover them...:laugh:
    I'm a mess I know lol
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Just tell your doc you want a lower strength dosage. BUT be aware- any prescription pill is MEANT to supress your appetite. The pill is doing what it is supposed to, and after about a week or two of taking the medicine your appetite will come back about 7-9 hours after you have taken the pill. Also, if you just stop taking the pill cold turkey, your appetite will come back 10x more strong than it was before and you will feel ravenous 24/7. Even if you arent hungry, you need to eat breakfast, lunch and a small dinner. (Im currently taking phentermine and have been for the past 3 months as well as having different friends and family who have taken it as well.) Make sure you are drinking plenty of h2o and limit caffiene drastically if you cant bear to cut it completely out. When I began taking phentermine, the first two weeks I could eat a small salad once a day or a protein bar and that would be it all day...but about 2 weeks after I began taking it, my appetite began to come back in the evening when the pill would wear off and I would feel SOOO hungry- and it was because I wasnt eating anything but a protein bar or whatever during the day. I was counseled on the safe practical use of it and now I eat my breakfast, lunch and a small dinner and snacks during the day if I am exercising a ton.

If you arent comfortable taking the medicine, then dont and follow other advice for breaking a plateau!

Good luck!!
  • mysticjulz
    Options

ok so enough rambling...
    I sure would like to know the the name of that condition you were diagnosed with, because I dont have medical insurance, therefore no permanent Dr. either, but I suffer from the same exact thing everything,( well most everything) has the opposite effect on me. I had the same thing happen to me when I took phenterine a few months back, but my girfriend and sister bounce off the walls from it. Caffiene has no meaning in my life, yet some people cant start there day without it. Everyone says its all in my head and that drives me crazy, because it is very real. I'm just weird I guess. Well if you ever find out the name I sure would like to know so I can google it and finally tell my friends and family I'm not crazy.