How long after getting up...

Options
Do you eat breakfast? I always hear Bob and Jillian say that you should wait no more than 30 minutes, but to be honest, I'm still not fully awake 30 minutes after I get up! I'll drink a cup of coffee first, then make something to eat. By that time I'm more awake and actually hungry. The only down side is that if I get side tracked and start doing something, I might forget all about eating until hours after I get up!

Replies

• tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's usually the first thing I do after brushing my teeth. But I usually wake up very hungry because I try not to eat a few hours before bed. When I do eat before bed, I wake feeling nasty and full so then sometimes I don't eat right away - but that's only because I feel gross.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended that I should eat breakfast within 3 hours of first waking up. I usually try to do it after an hour so I don't forget though.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    Morning
    I get up at 4:00am
    grab a fruit and some nuts for the road
    i drive one hour to work
    workout there and then get ready for work
    around 7:30 i will eat some eggs and cheese
    that's what i have in the morning during the week
    you need to eat a little something
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    An hour is about what I do. I had gastric bypass 2 years ago, and I really don't feel hunger like I used to. So it's very easy for me to forget if I get busy. But I just can't eat shortly after waking up. I am just plain not interested in food.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Over an hour. I take Nexium and I have to take it on an empty stomach in the morning and wait an hour to eat. It works out nice though because I have nothing to do for an hour, so I usually pop in a Jillian DVD and get a workout in first thing in the morning.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually eat within the first hour I'm up in the morning, after walking the dog. I become insanely hungry if I wait much longer than that.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat within 30 minutes of waking. Normally I make breakfast right before I leave for work and eat it when I get there. So, Mon & Wed it's within an hour and a half of waking but Tues & Thurs it's more like two and a half. This morning I was starving when I got up cause it had been 12 hours since I last ate so it was within an hour of getting up.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:45am. I am downstairs eating my bowl of cereal and fruit by 5am. Mid-morning snack at 10, lunch at 12:30, snack at 3, dinner by 6pm. In bed by 10pm so no snacks after dinner.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1.5 - 2 hours after I get up during the week. Within the hour on the weekends.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast about an hour after waking up otherwise if I have it too early I will be wanting to eat my lunch by 11am.
  • alianf
    alianf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am always starving when I get up in the morning. I try not to eat after 8 pm. But I've always been a breakfast person. I get up with my 3 daughters and we all get dressed and ready before we go downstairs and eat breakfast. It's usually at least 30-45 minutes.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I eat within the first 10 or 15 minutes. It's basically the first thing I do when I get up.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I get up and run then eat breakfast after I have showered and dress. I'm usually eating about 2 hours after I get up and in the car on the way to drop the kids off at daycare!
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    For me it's about 3 hours but that's because I have an hour commute to work and hate eating on the train. I get up in the morning with enough time to hit the gym, shower and get out the door to catch my train. But I'm never usually hungry until I get to work so it all works out for me.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    between 30 - 60 minutes. I am usually hungry when I wake up and I have to eat before my train commute as it's a 2+hour journey (I wouldn't make it otherwise!!).
  • Loray88
    Loray88 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a big fan of Dr. Oz and I find his information not only informative but very accurate. He says eat breakfast within the hour you wake up. It will rev your metabolism. Between finding this website and tracking what I eat and following his advice after 2 days (I'm a newbie) I have lost 3.4lbs. Good luck with your goals!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Usually 3-4 hours after I get up because mornings are so hectic! I recently tried eating within the first hour to rev my metabolism too, but only stuck with it a few weeks. There just wasn't enough time between exercise, walking the dog, getting ready, the commute to work, etc.