How do you cope with feeling hungry?

michellenugent1971
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
So you have tracked your food, you see that you made your goal of eating just the right amount of calories, and it is now after dinner and close to bedtime and you feel it, hunger pains. Your mouth waters thinking about when you can eat again. You begin to find things to do, you go for a walk, that helps for a while, but then they come back. You try drinking a glass of water, they come back, you are counting down the minutes before bed so that you can sleep the hunger away. The fridge is calling your name and you don't want to again sabotage your getting fit and eating healthy. What do you do?

Replies

• maryhappy456
    maryhappy456 Posts: 27 Member
    I was feeling that last night...and I was already 16 cals over my goal! I was tempted to go into the kitchen and get some lil' munchies (haha!) but instead I just started cleaning...then I drank a lot of water...I was surprised that in about 30 minutes, I was not hungry at all!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    well after the walk you earned more calories so have a piece of fruit. you probably aren't eating enough if you are in physical pain from hunger and should consider readjusting your calorie goals or have more high volume low calorie foods like veggies and fruits.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Water and gum..
    also I just go to bed.
  • try eating more protien and fiber at dinner time...if you are getting hungry you need to eat stuff that will keep you fuller longer
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Well if it really is hunger...it may be your body telling you that you need more calories. I recently upped my calories from 1200 to 1380 and that helped me. Hunger pains was waking me up about 4 am every day. How long have you been on your current calorie intake? Maybe it's time to up them a bit. How's your weight loss now? I higher fiber, protein diet will help you stay fuller longer and more satisfied.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    It's tough isn't it, know how you feel.

If I am within my daily allowance I have a healthy snack of raw carrots or fruit or a rice cracker.

If I am over my allowance then I have a drink or go and brush my teeth/use a mouthwash to put me off eating
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    drink a lot of fluids and chew gum
  • I like to drink water, after a few glasses i find i don't feel hungry anymore
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    I will not go to bed hungry. I try to prevent it by eating a huge serving of stirfried vegetables with 4-6 ounces of lean meat or fish at supper (between 6-9 p.m.), then a low fat yogurt at 9-10. However, if I'm still hungry at bedtime, I'll go 100 calories over with yogurt or milk rather than going to bed hungry. Nothing will derail me faster than feeling like a starving orphan.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    It is normal to be hungry to start with. I was hungry all the time for the first few weeks.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    If you eat correctly you shouldn't be hungry. I can honestly say the only time I am hungry is after a workout and I am allowed to eat then. In fact I find that I occasionally have to work at eating enough calories because there are often times when I could quite happily.

However, if you are eating lots of processed or fast foods you will get hungry. That's the vicious cycle of eating fast food. It doesn't have the proper nutrients to keep you full. reduce or cut processed foods from your diet, add more green leafy veg and fruit and you will no longer get that hungry feeling.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    If you are hungry and need to eat before bed see if you can eat carrot sticks and other raw veggies rather than heading for toast and peanut butter (which is what i want to do LOL) OR fruit? A slice of deli turkey lunch meat - something small.......
    If the water doesn't work and you are hungry then feed yourself but just a couple bites and see if that helps.
    You don't need to be FULL - you just need to not be hungry, right?
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Reset your MFP goals to 85% Fat, 10% Protein, & 5% Carbs. Use coconut oil, ghee, pastured butter, heavy whipping cream from grass fed cows, bacon grease from pastured pigs & Carlson's Fish Oil for healthy fats.

Eat grass fed beef, pastured pork, pastured chickens, pastured chicken eggs and healthier seafood.

When you've met your fat and protein requirements, then eat veggies, not grains or legumes.

Now you will not get hungry in the first place, your body will heal and that means for most of us gaining muscle, losing excess toxins and fat.

See my profile/diary for details. Check out my before pics at 352 lbs, then look at my avatar pic. If you can find a scientific way to increase strength and improve health quicker/better than this, I will try it. As a future doctor, this lifestyle was a complete mental flip from everything I had ever been taught was healthy. I was facing death, I did the research, took my best shot at this and could not be happier with the results.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I agree.. when i am hungry I eat. I am eating paleo which looks like this.
    high fat, high protein , low low carbs- my diet looks like this.. meats, eggs, fish, poultry, good fats, veggies.. I'm gluten, dairy and grain free..
    I eat when I am hungry stop when i am satisfied , I eat some fruit and nuts and even chocolate and coffee i do not count calories or watch my portions..I just eat and I am loosing at a rapid rate and I am not hungry between meals.
    hth
    Reset your MFP goals to 85% Fat, 10% Protein, & 5% Carbs. Use coconut oil, ghee, pastured butter, heavy whipping cream from grass fed cows, bacon grease from pastured pigs & Carlson's Fish Oil for healthy fats.

Eat grass fed beef, pastured pork, pastured chickens, pastured chicken eggs and healthier seafood.

When you've met your fat and protein requirements, then eat veggies, not grains or legumes.

Now you will not get hungry in the first place, your body will heal and that means for most of us gaining muscle, losing excess toxins and fat.

See my profile/diary for details. Check out my before pics at 352 lbs, then look at my avatar pic. If you can find a scientific way to increase strength and improve health quicker/better than this, I will try it. As a future doctor, this lifestyle was a complete mental flip from everything I had ever been taught was healthy. I was facing death, I did the research, took my best shot at this and could not be happier with the results.
This discussion has been closed.