Hi everyone - I'm new

jennNva
jennNva Posts: 142
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
I'm new to this site and so far absolutely love it. I do have a question for anyone out there. I've been reading about purchasing a heart rate monitor to determine if I'm exercising within my "targeted heart rate" and did purchase one that also tracks calories burned. (I'm guessing I'm going through a plateau period and I'm growing impatient) However I was disappointed to learn that I was burning less calories while exercising than I thought (I was looking at websites that give you the calories burned according to your weight and time exercising.) Has anyone had the same experience? And if so, which information is correct? (My heart rate monitor records less calories burned than those posted on this website)

Replies

• jennNva
    I'm new to this site and so far absolutely love it. I do have a question for anyone out there. I've been reading about purchasing a heart rate monitor to determine if I'm exercising within my "targeted heart rate" and did purchase one that also tracks calories burned. (I'm guessing I'm going through a plateau period and I'm growing impatient) However I was disappointed to learn that I was burning less calories while exercising than I thought (I was looking at websites that give you the calories burned according to your weight and time exercising.) Has anyone had the same experience? And if so, which information is correct? (My heart rate monitor records less calories burned than those posted on this website)
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Welcome!!!!
    Your heart rate monitor should have asked you to set it up with your age, sex, and weight. These 3 things will all effect your calories burned. So if you are female and petite you will burn fewer calories than a tall, heavy male( yeah, it's unfair,:grumble: seems like we're working just as hard!!!) Your general level of fitness will also change the numbers.

The amount of weight you need to lose is also a factor, if you haven't read Banks posts for new folks be sure to....they are in the general discussion threads. His advice is awesome!!!

You can bump your heart rate up, thus burn more calories by moving faster, pushing more weight( child in a stroller, rocks in your pockets etc) or repeated periods of intense exercise. You'll have to figure out what works for you. It has surprised me just what kind of things really do burn calories that I didn't even think about, pushing the vacuum can burn a few, even washing windows.

When I walk the numbers are rarely consistent, up hill, stairs, cross fields instead of sidewalks. Work with your HRM for awhile. Mine is my best friend(well almost....) 'cuz I can use those calories when I get to the end of the day!!!

Hope this helps, and again welcome!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Welcome!:flowerforyou:

Yes the HR on web sites are a general idea if an average so and so does such and such.

Because you are putting in your height, weight, age and it actually keeps track of your BPM for the ENTIRE time you are exercising, it is more acurate than websites.

For instance. I am out of shape, 47, never been an athelete, unless you count beer pong champion (only kidding!)

When I walked last night for 40 minutes my HRM showed 396. On MFP it showed 261. Why? Because the MFP numbers are using averages, they dont have any way of knowing my BPM were average of 85%, or 155 for the entire time. I walk/jog for the first mile then use arms for strength for the 2nd mile, thus keeping my heart rate high the entire time.

I hope this helps. If your HR isnt high enough it is time to kick it up a notch. Add arms if walking, if on treadmill add incline. I found I wasnt really working as hard as I thought I was until I got the HRM.
  • jennNva
    Thanks for all the info. Yes I am female and petite and have lost the majority of my weight. I have the last 10 to 15 lbs to go. I just feel like I'm working harder than the HR says. Oh well - time to turn up the volume on the exercise I guess. Thanks again!! (I did find the Banks post)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Jenn. Try this. Put the HRM on. Walk for a block or so, watch your heartrate. Now add a simple arm exercise....like pretend you are doing a bicep curl. I was shocked to see my HR rocket by 10 bpm when I did this. Of course, this made me start doing it all the time!

I thought I looked silly at the walking park, but now 3 wks or so later I see other woman doing it and some are adding weights!! I dont see the need for weights, as they distract me from my walking form.

What type of exercise do you do?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Jenn. Try this. Put the HRM on. Walk for a block or so, watch your heartrate. Now add a simple arm exercise....like pretend you are doing a bicep curl. I was shocked to see my HR rocket by 10 bpm when I did this. Of course, this made me start doing it all the time!

I thought I looked silly at the walking park, but now 3 wks or so later I see other woman doing it and some are adding weights!! I dont see the need for weights, as they distract me from my walking form.

What type of exercise do you do?

Ah, so you're one of "those" type walkers! :wink: Yeah, when I used to walk alot (years ago on one of my failed weight loss attempts), I used exaggerated arm motions, too, but I had a great remote little used Wildlife Refuge with a wonderful walking path, so no one saw me looking like a a wounded bird trying to fly! I also used ankle weights after a bit that seemed to help. Some on here add in little spurts of jogging, too, to up their exercise efforts.
This discussion has been closed.