Water Parks... need food/snack advice, please!!

Options
Hi,

We are taking our two (9 year old) boys to a water park for the weekend. As we all know, it is a place filled with nothing but fried, tasteless (and not to mention expensive) food.

As part of trying to stay healthy no matter the place or circumstances, I am trying to prepare healthier options for us ahead of time. I would love any suggestions for food or snacks that we can take with us.

Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    i plan on taking protein bars to the park with me this weekend. also lots of water. eat a really good breakfast of abotu 400 cals before you go :)

i do it all the time
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    How about carrot sticks, protein bars (as long as they dont metl), cheese stick or mini babybel light, 100 calorie almond packs.
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    bump
  • tdorren
    tdorren Posts: 5
    Options
    A lot of water parks (and other ammusment parks) do not generally allow people to bring in food from the outside....they make a killing on selling over priced food there. However most have an exception for people with food allergies. My wife has a gluten allergy and this is a loophole that we used in Orlando just recently. The one kick is that you obviously can't bring in sandwiches if you say that it is an allergy to gluten, but there are so many other options. Fruit would be my number one suggestion, gorp or some other trail mix would probably be pretty easy and well liked by the kids as well, especially if you had them help make it and they got to select the items that went into their bag.

Just a thought,
    Tim
  • tovall
    tovall Posts: 3
    Options
    I would suggest taking a bunch of fruit or a fruit salad and some healthy lunchmeat or peanutbutter (provides protein) sandwiches. I dont know how healthy they are but my 9 year old loves string cheese. And yes alot of water....
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    fix you up some gladware containers of fresh fruit (strawberries, grapes, etc.) I also like to keep almonds on hand, peanut butter, granola bars, low fat sring cheese, and lots of water!!!!
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    Ok I spend a lot of time outside in the sun...the reality is yes those conditions make a body hungry. So in this case my suggestion is something that is filling. For me I love fruit but it never cures my hunger. So I agree with more of a protien diet while you are there. Tuna sandwhich on Nature's Own whole grain bread (50 cals a slice). Chicken or even lean beef or protien bars. And as I always mention drink a lot of water all day!! The water makes you feel full. It may not cure all of the hunger but it will cut the edge I promise.

No way is a banana going to cure a sun influenced hunger.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A lot of places will let you exit the park and return if you have a stamp on your hand or a wristband or something--so check and see if you can do that at this water park... if this is the case, just pack a cooler and some collapsible chairs in the trunk and have a picnic in the parking lot. That way, you can pack whatever you like! My mom always used to bring sandwiches, fruit, and cold drinks for us when we were kids :)

Hope this helps!
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks are another favorite!!! :)
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The water park we go to has cabanas that your can rent that come with their own private grill. So we always take skewers of veggies and chicken.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Heres a post that I found on RW Magazine. Some of these ideas may help you out

Fly-By Eating
    03/09/2011 12:05 PM
    I'm a commercial pilot and I'm on the road every week. Eating healthy in airports is almost impossible and carrying enough healthy food for three to four days isn't any easier. I carry power bars as a back up but that doesn't cut it as a meal plan. Any suggestions?–Kevin
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the email. I can relate: I'm in the air weekly as a passenger, and eating on the road can be quite difficult. It is always a good idea to travel with an eating survival kit that includes non- perishable protein and carbohydrate-containing foods:
    Foods with protein:
    • Jerky
    • Packets of tuna, chicken, or salmon. No can opener required!
    • Roasted soy nuts
    • Nuts and seeds
    • Small containers of nut butter–club stores sell these in bulk
    • Small cans of bean dip. Many have a pop-top for easy opening
    Carbohydrate-containing foods:
    • Packets of oatmeal
    • Cereal: Prepackaged or in a plastic bag or container
    • Homemade trail mix. It's cheap and you can add whatever you want. I like nuts, dried fruit, cereal, mini pretzels, and mini crackers
    Other items:
    • Beans and rice or bean pasta in a cup. Just add hot water, which you can get at any beverage station in any airport.
    • Dried vegetables and dried fruit–crunchy, healthy, and light!
    • If you're concerned about meeting your protein needs, consider carrying individual packets of protein isolate, which you can mix with water or juice
    Bring these items, and fill in where needed with some perishable foods that are commonly available in airports. For example:
    • Yogurt
    • Milk
    • Prepackaged smoothies
    • Vegetable soups
    • Mini vegetable trays, which often include celery, carrots and a dip of some kind
    • Fresh fruit
    • Salads
    • Turkey or ham sandwiches
    • Vegetable sandwiches
    • Sushi
    • Edamame
    • Hummus
    • Hard-boiled eggs
    Get shopping, get packing, get going!
    Safe travels!
    Leslie
    Have a question for Leslie? E-mail her. (Please write "Ask the Sports Dietitian" in the subject line.) NOTE: Due to the volume of mail, we regret that Leslie cannot answer every e-mail.
    And check out Leslie's newest book, Sports Nutrition for Coaches, on sale now.
    Share and Enjoy: