Bad Posture?

Options
I have pretty bad posture and I want to fix it while Im still young(ish). Any ideas on how to help? Exercise? Reminders? Anything??

When I think about it I can make myself sit up straight or stand up straight but as soon as I stop focusing on it, I go right back to slouching.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    In some of my strength training dvd's, the instructor has said that core work and upper body strength training will help that. I've been doing it for a while now and haven't seen a difference, but I am still hoping. I try to make a conscious effort at all times to stand straighter or sit straighter but it's hard to remember alllllll the time.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    one word
    > YOGA
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad posture and I want to fix it while Im still young(ish). Any ideas on how to help? Exercise? Reminders? Anything??

When I think about it I can make myself sit up straight or stand up straight but as soon as I stop focusing on it, I go right back to slouching.

Not sure about exercises but I think being mindful is a good first step. One thing I've noticed is that I physically look better when I don't slouch. Try it sometime in the mirror - stand the way you normally do (slouching). Then raise your arms over your head, stretch for the sky - and slowly lower your arms but leave your shoulders where they are - sort of raised and back. This is what my high school choir director had us do to get us to stand up really straight and tall and get more room in our midsections for breath for singing. Close your eyes for a minute so you can concentrate on what it really feels like to stand up straight and tall, and what your muscles are doing.

Take a look at what you look like now - if you're like me, I bet you look different! Maybe get someone to take before & after pics too, so you remember what it looks like?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    one word
    > YOGA

THIS... Yoga and Pilates will straighten you right up :)
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    Here are a couple of things I read about in Fitness Magazine (if you go on their website they have great exercises for posture). When you walk, run, sit, etc... remember your ABC's
    A= Abs...suck them in
    B= Butt...tuck it under
    C= Chest...stick it out with your shoulders down

I make sure to do this especially when I run. Like I said go on fitness magazines website. (I believe it is their name + .com) and search for exercises for posture. They have so many and great tips there!

Good luck!
    K
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have only dabbled in yoga, I should look into that.

And the idea about taking pictures, just to put an image in my head is a really good idea! And yes I have looked in the mirror and stood up straight and I look much better. But like I said its hard to think to myself and be straight all the time.

Ill have to try some yoga, and core strengthening
  • littleleisha
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have only dabbled in yoga, I should look into that.

And the idea about taking pictures, just to put an image in my head is a really good idea! And yes I have looked in the mirror and stood up straight and I look much better. But like I said its hard to think to myself and be straight all the time.

Ill have to try some yoga, and core strengthening
  • littleleisha
    Options
    Me too!
    Here are a couple of things I read about in Fitness Magazine (if you go on their website they have great exercises for posture). When you walk, run, sit, etc... remember your ABC's
    A= Abs...suck them in
    B= Butt...tuck it under
    C= Chest...stick it out with your shoulders down

I make sure to do this especially when I run. Like I said go on fitness magazines website. (I believe it is their name + .com) and search for exercises for posture. They have so many and great tips there!

Good luck!
    K

Thanks! ABC's! Doesn't seem to hard :)
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options
    I've always been taller than my friends and have always slouched. It's a really ugly look when I see someone else slouching- It just looks straight sloppy. I try to do better too and I'm interested in seeing the suggestions! Good luck!
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I dont think anything would work better then Yoga. Vinyasa has helped me a lot, but any kind would do.