Knee trouble - any advice or experience?

Options
2»

Replies

• psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am actually going to the chiro today for some back issues. I will ask him about knee pain.
    I'm not sure I'd take a chiropractor's advice about knee pain to the bank, simply because chiro's specialty is the spine... nothing more. They honestly shouldn't even give out advice about other areas if their schooling doesn't support it.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If it's just your regular doctor telling you that... go see an orthopedics doctor. Go see someone who specializes in bones/joints/etc.
    If something is really bothering you from a medical standpoint you want a professional opinion... too many people misdiagnose by reading internet opinions.
    Now, I'm definitely not saying that opinions are invalid, but it's also good to get info from a studied source... just to be safe... because your body is not something you want to take "guesses" about.

Yes, for sure I will see some doctors about it! Just curious if anyone had any similar experiences! I certainly don't want to mess with something as important as knees/joint mobility!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Update...

I saw my doctor on Wednesday, and was told not to exericse again. Apparently I pronate in my stance, and that poor alignment, parterned with all the running and working out lately has knocked my patella (sp?) out of alignment! He said not to do any exericse until I see an ortho NEXT FRIDAY! No running, no working out that involved the knee, no bending, no sitting cross legged (I have two babies at home!)...

Anyway, I'm hoping for good news next week!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    On no!
    I'm sorry to hear that. Well, you can still walk, right? Maybe just do some light walking???

I also pronate my feet... I actually have these orthopedic shoe inserts that I'm supposed to wear... man, I need to start using those again.

*crossing fingers for you*
  • AJCM
    Options
    On no!
    I'm sorry to hear that. Well, you can still walk, right? Maybe just do some light walking???

I also pronate my feet... I actually have these orthopedic shoe inserts that I'm supposed to wear... man, I need to start using those again.

*crossing fingers for you*

Thanks! Yes - I can walk , so I'm taking the stroller out and hitting the pavement! I'm also going to do a modified version of Jillian Michael's shred, as the doc thought a veritcal jump would be okay - just no lunges or anything like that! I feel that I will lay around if I don't exercise, and I fear bad habits will start creeping back in.

I have insurance coverage for orthotics (one pair a year) so I think I will investigate that! Do you find them uncomfortable to wear when exercising?
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing orthotics for a few years now for plantar fasciitis - they are just like hard arch supports. I wear them all the time. It's uncomfortable if I DON'T wear them... they will make them specially for your feet, so they should be very comfortable. :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    I've been wearing orthotics for a few years now for plantar fasciitis - they are just like hard arch supports. I wear them all the time. It's uncomfortable if I DON'T wear them... they will make them specially for your feet, so they should be very comfortable. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the info! I feared that they would be uncomfortable - so I'm hoping I can tolerate wearing them!
  • gpine
    gpine Posts: 1
    Options
    I strongly agree with the person who recommended water aerobics. It has helped my back, which has hurt for 40 years. At the same time I did quite a bit of physical therapy. That helped the most. I am amazed at what physical therapy can do. I highly reccommend it for any bone or joint problem. I have heard numerous people including the instructor, say that water aerobics eliminated her knee pain. The water cushions any impact, so you can do exercises in the water that cause too much impact out of the water. I find it is a very good aerobic workout if I exercise vigorously. I sustain a heart rate 55% + for about 30 minutes in the class I take. The second 30 minutes of the class we do weight work and ab work. The water is soooo soothing.
    I strongly reccommend water aerobics for people with joint or back pain, but ask your doctor first.