I just tried fat free dressing for the first time. Wow.

melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
That stuff is vile. I really had zero salad dressing choices at lunch (it was a work thing, salad bar) and I went for the fat free peppercorn ranch against my better judgement. Generally I am against all fat free foods, knowing they load them up with salt and sugar to compensate for the lack of flavor. Holy moly was this stuff sweet. It tasted like chemical-sugar with a creamy texture. I think I will stick to making my own or using small amounts of the full fat stuff!

Replies

• crazyears
    crazyears Posts: 50
    I totally agree. I would much rather eat a salad without dressing than with that junk!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    I would much rather use less of the Light or full fat kinds of dressing than use any fat free! I cant stand the taste either!
  • I stick with the balsamic vinaigrette and stay away from the diet dressings for just that reason.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Boy! Do I agree. I hate that stuff. My own vinegrette is flavorful and healthy and I only use 2 tablespoons to dress a salad for two. When I am out to eat I opt for vinegrette on the side.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    They add starch to many fat free foods, hidden carbs not a good thing. I look at the ingredients of what i buy and then decide if i want low fat, no fat or regular and just use less of it.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    lol I think we will all agree on this one
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Not all FF dressings are created equal, so keep trying. Read the label and make sure you're getting natural ingredients.

Even if it's not fat free, all you really have to remember is NEVER pour dressing over your food.

I keep the on the side, dip my empty fork in to coat, and then eat. I find that I use a minimal amount of dressing, but still get the flavor. :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont
    Sugar Free Raspberry Vinaigrette

I think it tastes good. It's fat free too and only 5 calories per 2 Tbsp serving!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    stick with the oil and vinegar!!!!
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    That was exactly how I felt until I tasted Maple Grove Farms of Vermont-Vidalia Onion Salad Dressing-delicious-fat free-and low in calories!
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    I don't think they are all bad. Trader Joe's Fat Free Balsamic Vinagrette is my favorite.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Fat helps you absorb the vitamins in some food, too. The key is portion control. I'm currently addicted to Green Godess, so what I do is put my salad in a bowl, measure out one T. of dressing, pour it on top, and then I put a lid on the bowl and shake it up. The dressing coats everything nicely. I'd rather eat a half of a portion of Green Godess than 2 portions of fat free dressing any day...
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    I agree with the exception of the Fat Free Itlaian...that one I can handle.
This discussion has been closed.