Wisdom Teeth Removal and Exercise

Options
Hey guys! Just wanted to get some opinions.

I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday and I really want to start working out again. Do you think I would be safe to go for it this afternoon (way past the 72 hour mark)? My mouth/jaw is still sore in the morning but with a few ibuprofen I feel fine. I really want the extra calories but I definitely do not want the dreaded dry socket. Oh and my "drug" of choice is Turbo Fire :)

What do you think?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercises do you do? low impact would be fine.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Can you call you Doctor and ask?
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Do something low key to make sure you're up to it and call your doctor and ask what they recommend for you.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Can you call you Doctor and ask?

Exactly.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth pulled a few months ago my dentist told me to wait 48-72 hours before doing anything too strenuous, but after 3 days I started running and was fine. But I'd check with your dentist if he didn't tell you how long to wait.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just had my wisdom teeth taken out about a month ago. They were taken out on Thursday and I started some light lifting again that Sunday. Just follow the mouth care instructions they should have given you and you should be fine w/ some light exercise for a few days. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to ask your Doc as murf19 stated either.
    Hey guys! Just wanted to get some opinions.

I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday and I really want to start working out again. Do you think I would be safe to go for it this afternoon (way past the 72 hour mark)? My mouth/jaw is still sore in the morning but with a few ibuprofen I feel fine. I really want the extra calories but I definitely do not want the dreaded dry socket. Oh and my "drug" of choice is Turbo Fire :)

What do you think?
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dont do anything high impact - running, jumping ect. I didnt till like 5 days later and i could still feel it in my teeth afterwards. I dont know if ur a yoga person or not, but i did some bikram classes shortly after the surgery to help keep the blood flowing.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking you Dr. Not all Oral Surgeons have the same standards. But as a dental assistant who has worked with one, past the 72 hour mark you are pretty darn safe to not get dry socket, the socket is already healing (first 24-72 hours is when its most likely) You shouldnt do high impact excercise for the first 5-7 days post surgery though, so a walk is fine, but avoid running, the elliptical and weight lifting. basically anything that increases your heart rate dramatically or that is strenuous. From what Ive heard of TurboFire I would have to say NO unless youre ready for alot of pain and the possibility of increased bruising. Did you Dr. not give you a list of post-op instructions? You should still technically be eating warm soft foods today as well, not normal foods.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Give yourself permission to stop if you have to...

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I worked out 3 days after mine and was fine! But, to be safe just ask ur dentist.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    That's the thing guys, my dentist TOLD me I'd be able to do any exercise THE NEXT DAY. He also told me I'd be at work the next day too... total lies. He was the first one I asked and I don't exactly trust his judgement anymore.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    That's the thing guys, my dentist TOLD me I'd be able to do any exercise THE NEXT DAY. He also told me I'd be at work the next day too... total lies. He was the first one I asked and I don't exactly trust his judgement anymore.

If thats what he told you then I would go by the standards the OS i worked for had. In 2 years we had ONE patient with dry socket... because she refused to follow the post op instructions even when she called me in pain
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    There are other varying factors that I dont know from your case, which includes impacted vs non impacted teeth. Bony impacted vs soft tissue, all effect healing time and restirictions
  • Drunkadelic
    Options

If thats what he told you then I would go by the standards the OS i worked for had. In 2 years we had ONE patient with dry socket... because she refused to follow the post op instructions even when she called me in pain

Thank you!! I've been really careful to follow my eating instructions, but there was nothing on my sheets that said anything about exercise. I've read a bunch of stuff online and they say anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. I was never actually put under, I just had a local and I was awake the whole time. The whole procedure, numbing and everything, only took an hour. I feel pretty great today so I'll try my workout (I'll do an easier one) and if my body is telling me no, I'll stop and go for a walk instead. Thanks for the input everyone :)
  • Drunkadelic
    Options
    There are other varying factors that I dont know from your case, which includes impacted vs non impacted teeth. Bony impacted vs soft tissue, all effect healing time and restirictions

Non-impacted and soft tissue (I believe). The top ones were simply pulled out (one literally took him 10 seconds to pull out) and the bottom ones my gums had to be cut and he pulled them out as well (although he did have to break the right one up to get it out). Thanks so much for you input!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options

Non-impacted and soft tissue (I believe). The top ones were simply pulled out (one literally took him 10 seconds to pull out) and the bottom ones my gums had to be cut and he pulled them out as well (although he did have to break the right one up to get it out). Thanks so much for you input!!

Then you are safer then someone who had impacted teeth. youre less likely to bruise, the lower ones would be the worry, and you have a good approach with your workout decision
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My jaw was sore for 7 days, but i was stilkl back to working out 3 days later. I was doing Turbo Fire and CLX and it did not bother me one bit. I am sure its fine now, its been a few days....Just do a workout and see how it goes, but i am sure it will be fine!:)