Time limit imposed for half-marathon?

Options
helenium
helenium Posts: 546 Member
Hello all,

I'm currently training for a half-marathon in September. It's my first one so I'm not looking to meet a particular time goal, I'm mainly interested in completing it.

I'm worried that they'll impose time limits on the half-marathon (they say they might - it's Run to the Beat in London, UK) and I'm extremely nervous I'll get cut off. I currently run 10K in 1:18 hours and online race-time-predictors suggest I can do a half-marathon in 2:51. I might be able to shave a few minutes off that if I work on my speed.

Are they likely to impose time limits of < 3 hours!? I don't want to run 12 miles only to be told they're cutting everyone off after a certain time. Has anyone got any experience of what is the most likely scenario here?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pattygirl120
    pattygirl120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if they do impose a time limit, it will not be below 3 hours. You should be good to go. Don't let that worry you. Just keep training and have fun on race day!! You'll do great.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt they'll impose a time limit of under 3 hours for a half. Usually what I see when I look at half is 4 hours. But honestly, to avoid unnecessary stress, just shoot the organizer/organization an e-mail and tell them exactly what you just told us. I'm about 99% sure you're set if you can run it in under 4 hours.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    june 4th I ran one, they gave us 3 1/2 hours to finish. I finished in 2:56 =)
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I am interested in running a 1/2 marathon sometime next year. I've been training & @ the moment I can run a 10K in a little over an hour, so our time is pretty similar. I'm very interested in what others have to say.

Thanks for the post!
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    Time limits are usually long enough that everyone should finish with no problem. They can't just wait all day. The guys with the timing equipment have to pack up and go home sometime.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    under 3 for a half? Probably not. I've seen people walk a half marathon and that certainly would take over 3 hours and a marathon cut off time of 8 hours so...You're probably going to be fine. But race directors are usually accomodating to specific questions like that, so shoot them an email. :-)

Also, if there is a time limit, it needs to be stated to you BEFORE registration. FYI
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I have been to a few races (hubby running, not me) where there have been limits but they are not short times. One was a 6 hour time limit for the half and 10 hour for the full. I did run the 5K in that one and it had a 2 hour time limit.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    ohh, I hope not. I'm running a half in Sept too and I am pretty slow. I expect to do no faster than a 12 min mile, so I wouldl be just under three hours. Good luck to you!