Clean eating and protein powder

2»

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Word to the wise, again, these two,,,,,,,, (be nice) people, like to argue anything that isn't USDA approved, is wrong. Don't worry about what they have to say on this or anyother subject.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Word to the wise, again, these two,,,,,,,, (be nice) people, like to argue anything that isn't USDA approved, is wrong. Don't worry about what they have to say on this or anyother subject.

Instead of actually reading and contributing to the forums, I see you've taken up the mantle of trolling. Please point out:

(1) Where in this thread I mentioned the USDA;
    (2) Where in this thread I mentioned USDA approval;
    (3) Where in this thread I argued that anything was wrong.

This is getting pathetic, freerange. I get it: you're a die-hard paleo fanatic and you don't like being proven wrong. That's fine. Let's at least confine your trolling to a single thread, shall we?

Or will you now follow me around these forums making baseless accusations and disparaging legitimate advice and answers?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I don't worry too much about protein powder...I need it. While I eat primarily clean I'm also a vegetarian...and most veg products are processed.
    I use Vega...which is vegan, non-soy, no artifical colors/flavors/sweetners.
    We all have our downfalls...and if it's going to be protein powder then so be it...it's 100% better than having pure junk.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    There's never been a clear distinction of what makes a food "dirty" or what makes it "clean". Most people would agree that tomatoes, cheese, olive oil, and flour/bread are clean but put them together and throw it in the oven for pizza and suddenly you have a dirty food.

Fan of JCD Fitness by any chance?

I agree though. I think the whole "dirty" v "clean" distinction in many cases is arbitrary and a bit pointless.

In fat loss terms at least a better way of looking at it would be nutrient density.
  • Teemo
    There's never been a clear distinction of what makes a food "dirty" or what makes it "clean". Most people would agree that tomatoes, cheese, olive oil, and flour/bread are clean but put them together and throw it in the oven for pizza and suddenly you have a dirty food.

Fan of JCD Fitness by any chance?

I agree though. I think the whole "dirty" v "clean" distinction in many cases is arbitrary and a bit pointless.

In fat loss terms at least a better way of looking at it would be nutrient density.

I'm not sure what that is! (JCD Fitness). As a general rule, if I were forced to draw lines, I would probably also use the degree of processing but I think I set the bar quite a ways higher than the OP would. After all, if you compare a burger patty that you make yourself from ground beef straight from the butcher that should be "cleaner" and healthier than a patty from McDs that was frozen and loaded with preservatives/salts and fried up in day-old oil.

But that's just a layman's approach to it. Really, the solution to any debate is to avoid McDonald's. :laugh:

Nutrient density is a different animal, in my opinion, and probably not what most people think of or are referring to when they consider clean/dirty foods.
  • myofibril
    I'm not sure what that is! (JCD Fitness).

I have seen the pizza example between clean and dirty foods a fair amount on fitness boards. I believe it originated from this original article from JCD Fitness which caused a bit of controversy and ridiculous flame wars when it was first blogged:

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/
    Nutrient density is a different animal, in my opinion, and probably not what most people think of or are referring to when they consider clean/dirty foods.

You're right that nutrient density is a different concept but more helpful to somebody who is just starting out on their fat loss journey than focusing on clean or dirty foods (largely because no one can come up with any clear definition of what they actually are!)

If you get people focusing on foods which give the most amount of nutrients for the least amount of calories then eating well and at a deficit becomes a lot easier....
  • Teemo
    I'm not sure what that is! (JCD Fitness).

I have seen the pizza example between clean and dirty foods a fair amount on fitness boards. I believe it originated from this original article from JCD Fitness which caused a bit of controversy and ridiculous flame wars when it was first blogged:

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

You're right that nutrient density is a different concept but more helpful to somebody who is just starting out on their fat loss journey than focusing on clean or dirty foods (largely because no one can come up with any clear definition of what they actually are!)

If you get people focusing on foods which give the most amount of nutrients for the least amount of calories then eating well and at a deficit becomes a lot easier....

Oh, gotcha! I'm not going to take credit for the pizza example, since I'm sure I read it somewhere long ago. I don't think it was at that site though but if it was the topic of flamewars it was probably copied and pasted elsewhere as well.
  • myofibril
    Oh, gotcha! I'm not going to take credit for the pizza example, since I'm sure I read it somewhere long ago. I don't think it was at that site though but if it was the topic of flamewars it was probably copied and pasted elsewhere as well.

You could be right mate about the specific pizza example (although it is included in the article of course.)

However, the fallout from the article was widespread and in all honesty hilarious to watch. It's the kind of thing which eventually becomes folklore...

The article is very interesting though and certainly worth considering when weighing up what exactly the issues surrounding "clean" and "dirty" food are and how they relate to an individual's programme.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    I've been eating clean for many years and have always wondered how protein powder can be clean. Most people who are clean eaters stay away from junk food/processed food. In my opinion, protein powder is so processed....how can it be clean? I use it, but have always had the thought in the back of my mind that it is highly processed. Can someone please explain to me how it can be an acceptable clean eat food?
    Thanks for any opinions....

For me it's acceptable in the same way other processed things like vitamins, fish oil tablets, spices used for my cuts of meat, etc. are all acceptable. The notion of 'eating clean', like so many other things, becomes muddled and contradictory when you take it to the extreme.
  • freerange
    This is getting pathetic,

I know, right?
  • freerange
    IMHO, eating clean is ALWAYS the better option. But it’s also wise to accept, in today’s world it would be extremely difficult to do it 100% of the time. If you are going to use a protein powder, chose one that is the least processed, with the shortest list of ingredients, and fits your needs. Is it clean? Probably not in the classic sense of the word. Work it into your diet as you need and don’t worry too much about it.
  • RebeccaIngham
    RebeccaIngham Posts: 28 Member
    I've been using Shakeology for quite awhile now. It's a good protein source, is considered raw (nothing heated over 115 degrees), has no artificial or fake anything in it & scores a 97 on www.foodfacts.com. I think that if a protein powder has artificial colors, flavors or ingredients in it, someone that wants to be a clean eater should do everything they can to avoid using them. But if you find one that you like that is raw & pure, go for it. Unfortunately, there are plenty of them that fall into the category of being "unclean" & we have to be the ones that take extra care to stay far, far away from them. That's my 2 cents anyway! :smile:
  • Teemo
    This is getting pathetic,

I know, right?

I'm glad you at least acknowledge how pathetic your post was.

Feel free to continue yapping senselessly at my heels like a wayward puppy. Unlike you in other threads, I specifically requested you point out where in this thread I mentioned the USDA, USDA approval, or argued that clean eating was wrong.

The request is rhetorical, in any event, since I did none of those things. And, again unlike you, I actually responded to OP's question in this thread... instead of making a pointless personal attack on another member.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Your definition of "argue" is basically anyone with a dissenting opinion.

Can't expect much out of someone who believes in paleo doctrine and doesn't accept evolution.
  • freerange
    Release the hounds! You funny guys, are so easy.
  • Teemo

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member

Yet a lacking ability to think critically and empirically.

Harsh.
  • freerange
    LOL
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Thanks guys for all your opinions and I take them as such. I did come to a conclusion and I'll leave it at that. I just have one last comment. To me, clean means something that comes from it's natural state and I think I already stated that. For example, chicken, eggs, beef, fish, corn, rice, beans, potatoes, fruits vegetables are all foods that are edible in their natural state. There is no part of protein powder that comes from a natural state. I still use them from time to time. That's jmho. I understand about the nutrient density, but that doesn't mean it's healthy long term.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.