need exercise suggestions while recovering from op

Options
On monday i'm having eye surgery, i'm going to be 'blind' for 2 days, light sensitive for 7 days and worst of all i not allowed any exercise for 7 days!
I don't want to just sit on my backside all week, i'll go crazy i'm not allowed to watch t.v/use computer/read until wednesday :( So i was wondering can anyone think of some gentle exercise i can do while recovering? I normally do high impact aerobics which are a complete no no. I was thinking by wed/thu i could venture out for some walks in the park. Any other ideas to keep me burning those calories, i was thinking i could do something with my hand weights?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    On monday i'm having eye surgery, i'm going to be 'blind' for 2 days, light sensitive for 7 days and worst of all i not allowed any exercise for 7 days!
    I don't want to just sit on my backside all week, i'll go crazy i'm not allowed to watch t.v/use computer/read until wednesday :( So i was wondering can anyone think of some gentle exercise i can do while recovering? I normally do high impact aerobics which are a complete no no. I was thinking by wed/thu i could venture out for some walks in the park. Any other ideas to keep me burning those calories, i was thinking i could do something with my hand weights?

I would be the same way I think, however; its your eyes you should probably play it safe and do what the doc says and just tear it up the following week.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

Not sure what kind of surgery youre having but there IS a reason for these recommendations, especially in your eyes which are extremely sensitive to rises in BP (aka heart rate & working out) Other then stretching (which does burn some cals) you REALLY need to listen to your surgeon. If you truly dont think youll be OK those first few days he can prescribe you sedatives. Are you really willing to risk your vision over a few lbs?

I had lasik, and where you can go back to work the next day with that I REALLY wish I had taken the sedatives and slept the entire first 2 days
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    so i guess i should just try to maintain for the week? I'll have a chat with my surgeon, it's not that i'm desperate to exercise i just don't know how to sit & do nothing! I've got loads of hobbies but they all involve using my eyes intensively. Thanks for your opinions :)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone.... rest, you dont want to jepordise your health!! Why not listen to lots of music and chair bop??, download some audio books - I used to listen to audio books when I was training for a half marathon as I'd get really bored just running along???
    Hope it all goes well. x :flowerforyou: