Pilates or Yoga for beginners?

Dnsnyder
Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all! I am wondering if any of you wonderful people have any suggestions for a pilates or yoga DVD for a beginner (me!). I think that adding this to my routine will help to increase my flexability and core. I am looking for something that can be accomplished by someone who has NEVER done pilates or yoga before and I'd like to keep the length of the workout around 30 - 40 minutes (give or take a few). Thanks you in advance for your suggestions! =)

Replies

• I actually started pilates this week and love it! I used to always just walk but adding pilates is incredible. Ellen Barrett is awesome. She has all kinds of dvds (which also stream on Netflix if you have access to that.) And they range from beginner to advanced. Good Luck!
  • stephy52604
    stephy52604 Posts: 31 Member
    bump
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Youtube has an incredible number of videos for beginning yogis. Just search "yoga for beginners" or "easy yoga." I don't suggest DVDs for yoga as it REALLY helps to have an instructor show you alignment and breathing techniques. (TRUST ME that stuff matters a TON). Most yoga studios offer drop-in rates around $15 a class. It'd be beneficial to go once or twice a month for some hands-on instruction that way you have a good knowledge base when you practice at home :)
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    The Crunch series is really good.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    I have a bunch of Denise Austin dvds I like. Some are yoga, some are pilates, some are cardio. I also have from some The Crunch series (pretty sure the pilates ones are from there???). I like them as well.
  • I agree! Those are awesome!
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    One thing about Pilates is that the tiniest details make or break the exercise as far as how effective it is. Some of the exercises can be pretty easy unless you engage the right muscles. If you've never done pilates before I would sign up for at least just one month at a pilates studio. That way a certified instructor can make sure you are doing everything correctly. I know several people who started pilates without any instruction and quit shortly after because they got hurt or they didn't feel it. The studio can be kinda pricey so that's why I would suggest just one month. Then your DVD can take over. Good luck and enjoy it!!!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Thanks for the quick replies and I appreciate the suggestions! I will have to do a little research and see if I can find a Pilates studio that interests me so that I can get some instruction on technique. I think I'm also going to look into the Ellen Barrett workouts. I already have one workout DVD by Denise Austin, but I never do it because I find her incredibly irritating...her "chipper" attitude just makes me angry. Kind of weird, I know. =P Thanks again!
  • wailana.com
  • angie_roo
    angie_roo Posts: 55
    I have a Pilates for Dummies DVD. It's great for just starting out, and it gives you options to make each exercise easier or more difficult depending on your own abilities.
This discussion has been closed.