working out after surgery...

Options
:flowerforyou:

hi all literally had all my wisdom teeth out yesterday under a general anaesthetic, the extraction was pretty difficult and instead of 40mins it took 2 hours!!!

Anywho I would like to know what excercises i could do, i know swimming & running are out of the question- but would half hour on my excercise bike be alright?

I also haven't been able to eat either,firstly due to going under a general anaesthetic, I have had plenty of fluids (10 plus glasses a day) and have stocked up on soup but am unable to manage it right now due to swelling. Will this affect my weight loss as technically won't my body be in starvation mode now?

help!!! love skiski xxx:sad:

Replies

• skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options

hi all literally had all my wisdom teeth out yesterday under a general anaesthetic, the extraction was pretty difficult and instead of 40mins it took 2 hours!!!

Anywho I would like to know what excercises i could do, i know swimming & running are out of the question- but would half hour on my excercise bike be alright?

I also haven't been able to eat either,firstly due to going under a general anaesthetic, I have had plenty of fluids (10 plus glasses a day) and have stocked up on soup but am unable to manage it right now due to swelling. Will this affect my weight loss as technically won't my body be in starvation mode now?

• Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Focus on healing, sweetie. The chances of infections and popping stiches are very high if you start working out now....give it a week at least, hmm?
  • skiski
    Options
    Hi Fab140...:flowerforyou:

I know i should heal... but this sitting around is doing my head in, i do not want to stop the progress i have been making either for the sake of a week!!!! i don't know i am a very rubbish person at being sick and still!!!:sad:

Thanks for the reply hunni xxxx
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Hope you're feeling well soon! I had all my wisdom's out (they were all impacted) 2 days before Thanksgiving when I was 15! Yeow--so I can sympathize! That would be a great question for your doctor and really depends on the intensity of exercise that you do. But I wouldn't recommend rushing into anything. Definately no weight lifting or heavy straining until your stiches heal! And if you are taking narcotics, they can make you lightheaded so you wouldn't want to go out on a regular bike on the road. I'd still probably hold off on the stationary bike for the next few days.

Get some carnation instant breakfasts or cream soups as they have more nutritional value and replace some of your fluids with those. Remember yoru body needs extra protein now to help you heal. Kinda hard without a straw, though, huh? I wouldn't stress too much about exercise right now and just take it easy for the next few days. Use ice to reduce the swelling in your face and you'll be able to eat much better in a few days. Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hi Fab140...:flowerforyou:

I know i should heal... but this sitting around is doing my head in, i do not want to stop the progress i have been making either for the sake of a week!!!! i don't know i am a very rubbish person at being sick and still!!!:sad:

Thanks for the reply hunni xxxx

get_well_soon_graphics_15.gif

A few days won't ruin ya! :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ooooh wisdom teeth extraction is no fun! I have no idea about the exercise part of that (when I had my one wisdom tooth out it was awful and I had no desire to do anything...I had the dry sockets, nausea, vomitting, etc...and that was with ONE tooh taken out...I truly empathize with you having had four out!) I think it's still important to get in your nutrition though...try the meal replacement drinks, puddings, juices, smoothies, and toast and other soft foods when you can handle it.

I wouldn't do any strenuous exercise. Maybe something very light, but if it were me I'd wait it out...you definitely don't need to be burning any extra calories right now, especially since you aren't eating your minimum calories anyway...so take the time off and get back in the swing of things when you've really started to heal!

Take care!
  • skiski
    Options
    Hi Erin,

Ouch...before thanks giving that sa bit harsh! My teeth were also impacted...Like the suggestions reagrding what to eat and the extra protein, i did not know it helped healing- I will pop out the the store tomorrow...totally agree it is difficlt without a straw lol!!!!my dr was not exactly forthcoming with ideas for exercise, but the thought of not doing any is a bit daunting...even though i know i should just rest up i am awful at it lol...

i wll just have to force myself to relax...if i can :indifferent:

Thanks for the ideas skiski xxx
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    phew, that must be pretty uncomfortable... I'm also bad at staying still and feel also guilty all the time about it.

Have you considered going for a walk? Unless the air is too fresh. Walks are also consuming calories. More than you'd think. Take someone with you, it's more fun.

Good luck with healing :flowerforyou:
  • skiski
    Options
    Fab140

awww thank you for the get well soon...I love cats lol...you are inevitbley right afew days wont ruin me just i am in such a routine with it all it is a bit odd not having it as part of my day you know? But i will take heed and dig out some dvds to pass the days...i guess it only a case of a week right? xxx

BrandNewLaura

Thanks for the reply, sounds like your extractions was horrid, thankfully i got all the nausea out the way last night in hospital, but do have the dry sockets which are just not funny as i am sure you can relate! Luckily i have some pretty strong meds for the pain but these are not really touching it!

Thanks for the ideas about meal replacement stuff i did not think about using anything like that, and nutritionally they should have plenty in to help the wound sites to heal.

many thanks pepole

:flowerforyou: love skiski xxx
  • skiski
    Options
    dewpearl :flowerforyou:

thats a good idea i shall ensure that i fit in a walk tomorrow, as i need to pop out to the store for some easy to eat baby like food lol...fresh air will also feel good against my swollen face.

many thanks

love skiski xxx