Advice/tips/warnings - Couch to 5k - with a lot of weight to

Options
genthel
genthel Posts: 59 Member
I would like to start couch to 5k but have about 50-70 pounds to lose. I know that I will need some good shoes and a good bra but what other advice is out there for a person that wants to start running with a lot of weight to lose? Thanks!

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to. I repeated weeks two and three due to illness getting me off track, but went on to finish the program. That said, ALWAYS try to go for the longer runs. Don't let the time freak you out, bc you can probably run the full distances by the time you get to them.
    Run as slow as you need to. Speed will come in time....
    Get a mp3 program or the iphone app.... let someone else keep track of when you should walk or run.... you just focus on doing it. I downloaded the mp3 programs from Running into Shape.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Download the program via either an ipod, iphone or droid. It lets you know when to swtich from run to walk.

Folks tend to think they should be running a full three miles at the end and this is not the case.

Go as slow as need be to remain in a, what I will call, a slogging gait if you feel like you can't keep going.

Repeat weeks if necessary. Only pay attention to the week you are on so you don't psych yourself out ahead of time.

I found it to be more mental over physical to get through some of the longer runs...be prepared to push yourself if you reach a mental hurdle.

And, if I can start running for the first time ever in my life at the age of 42, anyone can! And weight has nothing to do with running. There are plenty of much larger folks who pass me all the time on races.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It really is more mental than physical. You see those big numbers and think "there is no way I can run XX minutes straight." Let me tell you, you can. I always say how I was the fat girl in gym class who was always last in the mile run. Well, let me tell ya, this fat girl ran for 20 minutes straight last week, and you can too.

All sports bras are ok for me (wasn't really blessed in that area), so I can't offer any tips about that.

Here is a link on how to find a running shoe that's best for you: http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html. I can tell you from experience that a bargain is only that on your wallet - your feet will be paying the ultimate price. I love my Asics and heard really good things about Nike (I don't like Nike because they make my feet look big - I still want to look cute when I'm exercising! :blushing: )

I also agree to download the C25K program on your phone/iPod. It's great. Plus, there is no shame in repeating days and weeks. If you feel that you shouldn't move up, then don't. I did W6D2 3 times before I finally felt ready to move on.
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sports Authority has really GOOD bras for the well-endowed. Look for the ones that say they are for high intensity workouts. They are a little pricy, but well worth it if you're going to be running all the time!
  • TokiDokiGirl12
    TokiDokiGirl12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the app but haven't started. Great to know!! Thanks everyone for your tips and advice!!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Run as slow as you need to. Speed will come in time....

Very much this. I started it at 234 lbs (trying to lose 100). I'm now on my 2nd round of it. The first time was just to get it done. This time, I'm doing it a little faster. I also agree with repeating as needed. I started week 6 3 times before I got it done. Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes if you can.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of this before but it seems like it might be fun! I want to try it.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen is my number one piece of advice!