Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm confused about protein powders.

Hi... I've searched the message board, etc., and I'm still confused. Hopefully someone here can help and give an opinion?

I think I need to go buy protein powder. I don't really eat meat; I eat some fish but not much, so I think I need to get protein in my diet somehow.

However, I'm confused about the different kinds of protein - casein, whey, soy, etc. I don't know which one to get, which one will not make me bloated, etc. I'd prefer something vegetarian... and I want something relatively low cal per serving. And if it could last me a while that would be good; I work long days with no time to eat. I may sometimes have a protein shake after a workout too.

Any help from you experienced protein shake users would be so appreciated! Thank you!!! x

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    It's really up to you. All protein shakes are vegetarian friendly, but few are vegan friendly.

People may tell you that you need to drink whey post-workout or you can only drink casein as a meal replacement; it's all nonsense. You can buy whatever kind you prefer.

Seriously - find what protein brand you can afford, and experiment with tastes. I prefer Dymatize Elite Gourmet because it's pretty cheap (especially if you buy it through a distributor like supplementwarehouse.com) and tastes the best in my opinion.
  • bump
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    My nutritionist recommended whey, you want to look for onces with 25 or more grams of protein per serving.

Pure protein and Jay Robb are both very popular.

Best of luck!

P.S. You can make shakes or smoothie, add to crystal light - citus flavor or add to oatmeal, ceral, greek yogurt, etc....
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    My personal favorite is Dymatize ISO - 100 Berry and Chocolate! SO Tasty and the nutritional value is hard to beat!

24g Protein
    1g Carbs
    only 106Calories per scoop! TRY IT!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    The best protein powder is the one YOU like drinking. Thankfully there is a supplement seller near me that gives out samples of most of their stuff which has allowed me to find flavors I like. Basically look for something with the lowest amount of fat and carbohydrates as you can. I used to get unflavored protein from bulkfoods.com, but at this point prefer flavored stuff. I may go back to unflavored in the future adding my own flavor.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    I like BSN Syntha 6 Milk Chocolate. It TASTES good, which is important for me. I am not one of those guys that chokes stuff down because it's good for me. Eww.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    You should try to eat real food before having to drink protein shakes. The shakes are to be used as a meal replacement and are usually a highly “processed” form of protein. Since you are a vegetarian, I would think eating highly processed foods is something you are against. A better choice after a workout would be Greek yogurt with nuts and fruits. Here is a list of proteins that you can eat that is going to be leaps and bounds better for you that a protein shake.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

EDIT: I just noticed that on that website for #6 Protein Supplements

"Why you should eat it: Well, you shouldn't really unless you have special protein needs, as real food is always best."
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Hi... I've searched the message board, etc., and I'm still confused. Hopefully someone here can help and give an opinion?

I think I need to go buy protein powder. I don't really eat meat; I eat some fish but not much, so I think I need to get protein in my diet somehow.

However, I'm confused about the different kinds of protein - casein, whey, soy, etc. I don't know which one to get, which one will not make me bloated, etc. I'd prefer something vegetarian... and I want something relatively low cal per serving. And if it could last me a while that would be good; I work long days with no time to eat. I may sometimes have a protein shake after a workout too.

Any help from you experienced protein shake users would be so appreciated! Thank you!!! x

Are you actually having difficulty getting adequate protein from your foods? As far as bloating goes: if the bloating is caused by a reaction to dairy then you should stay away from both whey and casein (being derived from milk proteins and containing allergens). If that's the case, then soy protein might be your best (or only choice).

As far as the calories go, most protein shakes will run you between 100-200 calories a shake. Assuming you don't have problems with allergens, the best choice is whatever you can stomach the taste of for the cheapest possible price.

I use Optimum Nutrition Whey, personally.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Soy shakes if you have an issue with milk

or

VEGA which is a vegan protein poweder (google it they have an awesome website) its also gluten & nut free for people with those allergies
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Sweet! I keep meaning to look into this stuff. Lately I've just been drinking some Odwalla Protein Monster Shakes (the little ones w/ the cow on them) & they're good. They come in vanilla and chocolate.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    try ds supplement .com they have vegetarian proteins , casein can bother your stomach its slow digesting , most of all stay away from supplement warehouse the offer low prices but make up for it with high shipping and i have heard of credit card information being stolen with them.
  • linzfaulk
    linzfaulk Posts: 3
    My favorite is the Cherry Vanilla. You can also find it cheaper on Amazon.

http://www.speciesnutrition.com/storemenu/isolyze.html

Muscle Milk is also one of my favorites for a post workout recovery... I usually limit these to 2/week due to a higher fat content.